Harmony-ATS Soot

We are currently (4/4/18) on the Harmony of the Seas in an AquaTheatre Suite (A2) on deck 10. I woke up this morning and walked onto our balcony. There was a significant amount of what appears to be black soot over a large part of the balcony floor. I had read a little about this on CC but now I got to experience it first hand.

The room steward will clean it up today. I guess there’s not much that can be done about this occurring. We are out to sea and I’m guessing nobody can obviously control the winds that must drop the soot on our balcony.

Just a heads up for those of you who may have considered sleeping out there one night.....it wouldn’t be something I would want falling on me in the middle of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It also happens up on the Loft Suites as well. Sorry to hear that it happened to you. It has to us over the years as well. Another quick tip if it isn’t too late, don’t wear light coloured shorts to the Aqua Theatre Show. The soot can get you there as well.

Thanks for the heads up Flannbarr. I had read about that problem before on the aft of voyager and freedom class ships but did not know that was an issue with the ATS.

Andrew...thanks for the heads up on the Loft suites too as we are in one of those coming up.

Does it get on the furniture too or just the floor?

Thanks for the heads up Flannbarr. I had read about that problem before on the aft of voyager and freedom class ships but did not know that was an issue with the ATS.

Andrew...thanks for the heads up on the Loft suites too as we are in one of those coming up.

Depends on the winds. For us, it got on both. Our room steward and someone else came and cleaned off the balcony and furniture.

Up on the lofts it can end up on both. I typically wipe off the seats before we sit. It all depends on the winds and what has come out of the stacks.

I guess after being in the lofts for years we are used to it. However, it can be quite surprising for those that have never stayed on a balcony that is prone to soot. A prime example, my MIL was very surprised to see it this March. She always wore her shoes on the balcony to keep her feet clean, where we just went barefoot.

Depends on the winds. For us, it got on both. Our room steward and someone else came and cleaned off the balcony and furniture.

Up on the lofts it can end up on both. I typically wipe off the seats before we sit. It all depends on the winds and what has come out of the stacks.

Thanks again for the heads up. I'l make sure to look before sitting [emoji6]

Interesting thread. I noticed last year when on the Allure that often times the smoke would curl down to the ship. I've not noticed it doing this on the other ships we've sailed on. I wondered at the time of it was cause by the unusual configuration of the Oasis class ships.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Forums mobile app