Delux Drink Package..Is it worth it?!

Here is a excel spreadsheet I modified for RCI. It was originally one for Carnival. You can select what you would typically get in a day on the ship. It will calculate is it is worth it or not.

Thanks. We already bought the deluxe drink package (love those Black Friday sales).

We’re sailing on the Freedom, which of course is not an Oasis class ship. Many of the drinks shown are $13. I though the limit was $12, and you’d have to pay the remainder. Are the $13 drinks totally included? Or would we have to pay an additional $1.18 per drink ($1 plus gratuity)?

Thanks. We already bought the deluxe drink package (love those Black Friday sales).

We’re sailing on the Freedom, which of course is not an Oasis class ship. Many of the drinks shown are $13. I though the limit was $12, and you’d have to pay the remainder. Are the $13 drinks totally included? Or would we have to pay an additional $1.18 per drink ($1 plus gratuity)?

Those $13 drinks on the spreadsheet are probably $12 on Freedom.

It's almost irrelevant. The $12 covers darn near everything. We were getting Gentlemen Jack, Patron Anejo, etc... all included. The only thing that had a $1 or so upcharge was certain over the top specialty drinks and even then a vast majority were $12 or under. If you are going to have 5 alcoholic drinks a day, it's SO worth it. I won't sail without it. Don't underestimate the value of "not having to think about it" when on vacation. You walk by bars every 50 feet. It's a big part of cruising for a lot of people. Being able to just grab a drink randomly and not even think about the costs or a bill is fantastic and makes a big difference in our enjoyment of the cruise. I say get it for sure unless you drink very little.

... except wine... While we can always find at least one red/white under the limit, most are over that. HOWEVER, all you have to pay is the difference for the more expensive stuff, so we've still found the package to be worth it for us :) On average, I do one fancy coffee, 2-3 bottles of water, 1-2 wines with dinner, and 2-8 mixed drinks a day.

First time I've heard of one of the beverage packages covering shakes at JR. Unless this is a new policy, I expect this was a mistake.

Oooo, DH would LOVE if shakes are included. We will ask next year, when we're on SOS (I don't think Radiance, our cruise this summer, has a Johnny Rockets...)

Oooo, DH would LOVE if shakes are included. We will ask next year, when we're on SOS (I don't think Radiance, our cruise this summer, has a Johnny Rockets...)

SOS = Serenade? (just kidding).

As someone who likes to drink, I find it hard to find value in drink packages, for me. It's about $60 a day, and everyone in the cabin must get it. It's one thing to "break even." It's another to justify $420 on drinks for a 7 day cruise, especially when it doesn't cover when you're on land and may want drinks then too. It can also be a chore to drink that much while on ship in 7 days to feel like you've gotten your money's worth.

Then again, I don't drink all of the other coffees, sodas, juices, etc. If you would spend that much in drinks anyways, then definitely get it. If you want to drink whatever you want, then get it. If you want to try a bunch of premium stuff you wouldn't otherwise get, then get it.

As someone who likes to drink, I find it hard to find value in drink packages, for me. It's about $60 a day, and everyone in the cabin must get it. It's one thing to "break even." It's another to justify $420 on drinks for a 7 day cruise, especially when it doesn't cover when you're on land and may want drinks then too. It can also be a chore to drink that much while on ship in 7 days to feel like you've gotten your money's worth.

Then again, I don't drink all of the other coffees, sodas, juices, etc. If you would spend that much in drinks anyways, then definitely get it. If you want to drink whatever you want, then get it. If you want to try a bunch of premium stuff you wouldn't otherwise get, then get it.

No all have to purchase, just can't do one online. It is not an issue to call in.

Seems like a lot of people get the booze deal for $45 on sale. At that price, just 6 beer in a day puts you over the cost of package. And I guarantee I will have more than 6 a day plus coffee, diet cokes, bottle water and such. Probably will have a fruity or frozen cocktail sprinkled in also. It is a no brainer for me to get it.

Here is a excel spreadsheet I modified for RCI. It was originally one for Carnival. You can select what you would typically get in a day on the ship. It will calculate is it is worth it or not.

Thanks for the spreadsheet.

Also important to note for some of those in your party...all adults in a cabin have to get the package. However, if you call in (in lieu of doing it online) one person can get the deluxe package and the other can get the refreshment package.

I would like to know if the getting shakes using deluxe package from Johnny Rockets is legit on Allure.

This is awesome! I come from a house who uses spreadsheets for everything(dad is an accountant). I will definitely pass this on to them. Thanks!

Seems like a lot of people get the booze deal for $45 on sale. At that price, just 6 beer in a day puts you over the cost of package. And I guarantee I will have more than 6 a day plus coffee, diet cokes, bottle water and such. Probably will have a fruity or frozen cocktail sprinkled in also. It is a no brainer for me to get it.

Sailing on HOTS, June 9th. It's currently on sale for $47. I've seen it for $45, but didn't jump on it. Any idea how often, and how close to sail date it goes on sale?

Sailing on HOTS, June 9th. It's currently on sale for $47. I've seen it for $45, but didn't jump on it. Any idea how often, and how close to sail date it goes on sale?

From what I have read on here, it is really no rhyme or reason to when they go on sell.

I have not actually been on a RCI cruise yet. I am booked on Harmony on April 14th, 2019. I don't even have the option to buy any packages yet. I have been told I will be able to buy anywhere between 6 months to 90 days before cruise.

I got all my prices on the spreadsheet for google searches of RCI drink costs. I went on Carnival Sunshine last May and found a spreadsheet for their drink package. I altered that spreadsheet for RCI.

Where do you see the sale? On the RCI website?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our sailing on the Freedom (also on June 9th) goes on sale about every other week. Sometimes there’s 2 weeks in between, but when I check my Cruise Planner, more often than not, I see the beverage packages on sale. $42 for the deluxe and $18 for the refreshment. Always $8.50 for the soda (3 years ago it used to be $6.50 for adults and $4.50 for kids, and the refreshment was $19, so the $18 sale really just put it back where it started).

Anyhow, I don’t know how close to sailing the sale stops, and I know that the southern route tends to get cheaper drink sales because of how many days in port we get, but I’d be willing to bet there’s still at least 1 sale left for your ship. Our non-sale price is $45 for deluxe and $26 for refreshment.

Our Allure one in March we saw it go to 45 once like 4 months before the cruise, and then it never went below 47 after that.

Just need to watch the cruise planner, log in a couple of times a week, or participate in your roll call, as somebody else may find it and post it.

Got an email today. Shows BOGO for the drink package. Price on the site says $47. Small print says 25% will be taken off of each. I'm assuming the $47 price includes the discount off of the buy on board price, but I'm not sure. Only 1 adult in my cabin, so BOGO is not of much use to me.

Got an email today. Shows BOGO for the drink package. Price on the site says $47. Small print says 25% will be taken off of each. I'm assuming the $47 price includes the discount off of the buy on board price, but I'm not sure. Only 1 adult in my cabin, so BOGO is not of much use to me.

That $47 is the price after the 25% off (60 is standard onboard price). You do no need 2 people for bogo, it is just another way of saying 25% off, and works whether you have even or odd number of people, it really is not bogo at all.

Our sailing on the Freedom (also on June 9th) goes on sale about every other week. Sometimes there’s 2 weeks in between, but when I check my Cruise Planner, more often than not, I see the beverage packages on sale. $42 for the deluxe and $18 for the refreshment. Always $8.50 for the soda (3 years ago it used to be $6.50 for adults and $4.50 for kids, and the refreshment was $19, so the $18 sale really just put it back where it started).

Anyhow, I don’t know how close to sailing the sale stops, and I know that the southern route tends to get cheaper drink sales because of how many days in port we get, but I’d be willing to bet there’s still at least 1 sale left for your ship. Our non-sale price is $45 for deluxe and $26 for refreshment.

Speaking of which... packages just went on sale again today. I just checked my cruise planner, so check yours just in case. I’ve been debating buying the refreshment package because I’m just a water drinker at home, but I got it for my kid and I can see myself wishing I had one. I’m gonna go ahead and buy it just in case they stop giving us the weekly beverage sale soon.

Please look at one of my postings below to save a lot of money on drinks. Read the entire thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2618651

This offer does not apply to all ships. It does work on Harmony, Allure and Oasis. Check the webpage.

That only works if all you drink is one of the 3 types of liquor with pop. I am sure some like it (sounds like you do), but is definitely not for everybody. I actually took 2 bottles of (cheap) wine on board last time (thinking it would make up for not buying a package), and never even opened it, because I really didn't want to go to my room to get it, and I ended up only ordering one drink all week. I am not one that wants to sit in my room on a cruise.

Just need to watch the cruise planner, log in a couple of times a week, or participate in your roll call, as somebody else may find it and post it.

Thanks. Not booked yet, hopefully Monday and as you can see from my name, I'm new to RCI [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums