How Much Cash to Bring to Cuba?

Djptcp

My understanding is that the CUC is a closed currency which means it cannot be purchased anywhere other than in Cuba.

Right now I am seeing a US$/Euro conversion of $1.00 to .86, which is no difference between the US/CUC exchange rate. Unless things change dramatically in the US$/Euro conversion rate, it makes no sense to take the extra step, imho.

What is the Euro to CUC exchange rate?

So if you exchange $100 USD you would get 86 Euros. If you than exchanged to 86Euros you would get 100.62 CUC. These calculations do not account for the 3% transaction fees. If you factor the fees in you would actually get the following. $100 = 83.42 Euros, 83.42 Euros = 94.67 CUC. Which is better than the 87CUC that you would get going directly from USD to CUC.

So if you exchange $100 USD you would get 86 Euros. If you than exchanged to 86Euros you would get 100.62 CUC. These calculations do not account for the 3% transaction fees. If you factor the fees in you would actually get the following. $100 = 83.42 Euros, 83.42 Euros = 94.67 CUC. Which is better than the 87CUC that you would get going directly from USD to CUC.

This seems to be a good explanation. If we have Euros left from our river cruise, we will exchange them in Cuba for CUCs. The original question I had was based upon what I had heard from our friends that were in Cuba earlier this year, and that is are Euros and CDN dollars acceptable there. I heard they were, but if the locals have to use CUCs then they aren't that happy to accept those currencies if they have the hassle of exchanging them.

I think we'll take a look at what the average costs are for stuff that we might want to purchase while we are there and bring Euros for exchange to CUCs.

This seems to be a good explanation. If we have Euros left from our river cruise, we will exchange them in Cuba for CUCs. The original question I had was based upon what I had heard from our friends that were in Cuba earlier this year, and that is are Euros and CDN dollars acceptable there. I heard they were, but if the locals have to use CUCs then they aren't that happy to accept those currencies if they have the hassle of exchanging them.

I think we'll take a look at what the average costs are for stuff that we might want to purchase while we are there and bring Euros for exchange to CUCs.

I am not sure if they would take EU . They will lose 3 % to exchange to CUC . Here is the problem If you really want to buy something and they will not take them you will be out of luck . I bought cigars and they would not take anything but CUC .

Their really is not much to buy in Cuba except for Cigars and Rum . Drinks at Sloppy Joe's in Havana ran $4.00 for most rum drinks .A bottle of Rum is $5.50 CUC .Cigars are various prices and they even sell sampler sets of 4 Cigars .The one I bought had a cohiba , a monte christo , a romeo and juliet and another cigar which our guide said was a very good cigar . I paid $30.00

Anyone know if they will exchange Mexican Pesos?? We have a stop to Mexico following Cuba.

See my reply on the thread you started. Yes but not worth it...you don't need them in Mexico and from what I see, the MXP to CUC rate is not as good as CAD or EUR.

USD are widely accepted in Mexico, especially in cruise ports. Over 12 stops in Mexico for me and NEVER used pesos...

Unless you're doing something well off the beaten path....But Mexicans can easily change USD into Pesos if needed....it's not a.closed currency like CUC