Lifeguards..

Hello, I haven’t seen anything on this (may not be looking in the right spot, sorry)... We are just off the Valor and this is the first time we’ve noticed life guards hovering near the pools. We noticed immediatly, so I don’t know if they were just easier to spot this time or if it’s new. Did something happen since November to make them impliment this, or is Carnival just trying to do a great job preventing something bad from happening? Either way, very glad to see watchful lifeguards with all those kids

Hello, I haven’t seen anything on this (may not be looking in the right spot, sorry)... We are just off the Valor and this is the first time we’ve noticed life guards hovering near the pools. We noticed immediatly, so I don’t know if they were just easier to spot this time or if it’s new. Did something happen since November to make them impliment this, or is Carnival just trying to do a great job preventing something bad from happening? Either way, very glad to see watchful lifeguards with all those kids

How do you know they are lifeguards? They could be supervisors without being trained in life saving.

They had whistles and first aid kits and were standing on the edge of the water the entire time the pools didnt have a net

I simply assumed they were lifeguards...

We didnt see them on our cruise in November, so that’s why they stood out so much to me this time.

We were on the Breeze last month and there were lifeguards at the pools. We know they were lifeguards because one was ready in jump in after our boy...he thought he was in distress. We were sitting right along the pool and explained that he is just very good at staying under water for a long time. We all chuckled but it was nice to see. (Though I'm hoping it won't replace parental supervision by the pool...)

They had whistles and first aid kits and were standing on the edge of the water the entire time the pools didnt have a net

I simply assumed they were lifeguards...

We didnt see them on our cruise in November, so that’s why they stood out so much to me this time.

Thanks for clarifying, good to know.

They are not certified life guards. They are pool monitors. Last August, we were on Vista for a B2B. While we were waiting for customs, we talked to the contractor who was getting the program going. I specifically asked if they were certified, because the first week, I saw them doing things such as taking photos for people and chatting with each other. She told me they were monitors, not lifeguards. Progress, yes certainly, but parents should still be vigilant.

They are not certified life guards. They are pool monitors. Last August, we were on Vista for a B2B. While we were waiting for customs, we talked to the contractor who was getting the program going. I specifically asked if they were certified, because the first week, I saw them doing things such as taking photos for people and chatting with each other. She told me they were monitors, not lifeguards. Progress, yes certainly, but parents should still be vigilant.

This is insightful information, I'm glad you were there and spoke up and asked the contractor. While they are posing for selfies and such maybe they could put time tickets on the lounge chairs too ;)

DH and I just sailed on the Miracle 2 weeks ago and we noticed lifeguards for the first time ever on Carnival. They circled the pool constantly - we were sitting on the starboard side of the ship reading and smoking. Didn't look for them at the other pools, but assume the same.

On the pride 2 weeks ago they had them. They were at every pool. They monitored the pool and seemed on top of it. Might not be certified lifeguards but at least there is someone watching the pool. Several times I saw them talk to kids and have them stop running around the pool and to stop jumping into the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the pride 2 weeks ago they had them. They were at every pool. They monitored the pool and seemed on top of it. Might not be certified lifeguards but at least there is someone watching the pool. Several times I saw them talk to kids and have them stop running around the pool and to stop jumping into the pool.

I can’t remember if it was on a carnival ship but a child drowned on a cruise ship in Australia and it was a recommendation my by the corinor at the inquest that children’s swim vests be available poolside . I have been aboard and seen the vests and have seen pool monitors standing close to the pools or in the middle of the pools if there is some kind of walkway

This was on cruise out of Australia

Cruise love

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been on thirty seven cruises and I have never seen a lifeguard on a CCL ship. I know they're lifeguards on Disney ships.

Gary

26 for me on Carnival and many on other lines. Just on Fascination and there were no lifeguards/pool monitors.

They may be starting to have lifeguards, as I know they did on RCCL ships.

Yeah they’ve been on RCCL for a while now, our last two cruises.

While I applaud the safety move, and they did a great job keeping kids out of the Solarium pool, it was kind of a zone buster.

DW and I always head straight for the pool on embarking. Its nice to have the pool to ourselves or maybe a couple of other couples and that’s about the only time it can happen (except perhaps on a port day).

So just the two of us under the walkway bridge in the Solarium. Lifeguard just staring at us like we’re gonna steal something.

I saw them on the Conquest last November. There was one at each pool, and it seemed to me they did a one hour shift before rotating to another pool. It's good to see. Whether or not they are lifeguards, it's nice to know there's someone paying attention. It struck me as a boring job, but they seemed to stay cheerful.

They were by the pool on the Freedom, but I only noticed them in the afternoons. They were telling kids not to jump in the pool. They were watching the pool, but not carefully like the well-trained lifeguards at our local pool, who are not allowed to have conversations on duty. I would call them monitors and not lifeguards, but obviously they wouldn't ignore a struggling child. There are also plenty of lifejackets available by the pool, which I don't remember from our very first cruises a few years ago.

I am glad to see that they are starting to implement someone watching over things and keeping people safe, and the pool area somewhat under control (running kids etc.). I am sure that they are implementing just "monitors" for a couple reasons.

First, cost. Trained life guards are going to be a bigger expense then just general staff watching over things.

Second, liability. If they don't institute them as trained life guards, but monitors, then it is still on the individual/parents to take responsibility for their own actions/children. And obviously if something goes wrong they may step in and help, but it would be no different than the average person helping.

I am glad to see that they are starting to implement someone watching over things and keeping people safe, and the pool area somewhat under control (running kids etc.). I am sure that they are implementing just "monitors" for a couple reasons.

First, cost. Trained life guards are going to be a bigger expense then just general staff watching over things.

Second, liability. If they don't institute them as trained life guards, but monitors, then it is still on the individual/parents to take responsibility for their own actions/children. And obviously if something goes wrong they may step in and help, but it would be no different than the average person helping.

I assumed it was a liability issue as well. Good to know. Parents, as always, need to be vigilant, but at least there is an extra set of eyes watching.

Honestly, they don't have to be certified to save a life. The pools aren't that deep so you don't even have to know how to swim. Just jump in and pull the person above the water. The best part is that there is now someone watching for someone that is in trouble. Too many parents let their kids run freely without watching them. At least now somebody is. And it sounds like they are keeping kids from jumping in and out which is irritating if you're in the pool and they land next to you.

Certified and trained by whom? Sure, probably to the American Red Cross, but I doubt any cruiseline puts anybody in any job without so rudimentary training specific to that job.

It’s not like they need to be able to to do the side stroke for 200 hundred yards or be taught how to approach a drowning victim without getting drowned themselves.

Their primary duty is obviously to enforce pool specific rules to keep people from getting hurt in the first place. Secondly, be able to jump in and help someone who’s struggling a maximum of 10 feet to the nearest side. It wouldn’t surprise me if they get some form of CPR training, but with security and the ships doctor near by they may just be trained to call (or radio) for help.

Haven’t seen them on Carnival ships yet, but on RCCL they were wearing shirts that said lifeguard and they had a lifesaving foam float wrapped around their waist which I assume they are trained to use.

I doubt the bar tenders are “certified” to the same standards as US bar tenders - that does not mean they are not bar tenders. Same with the ships’ doctors.

Edited by nealstuber