Naples

Done a Princess shorex of Pompeii when on Ruby Princess, few years ago. I thought Naples itself was a dump. I remember there were a few local tour operators hanging around the Napoli port gate, looking to earn a Euro or 2, they looked a bit shady.:rolleyes:

I highly recommend a tour of Pompeii, memorable.

Hi, Has anyone done a tour of Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi coast etc. and booked it when they got off in Naples. Thanks.

Janet

Agree with NSWP, nothing much in Naples.

We did a ships tour of Capri, taken over on the catamaran (try to sit outside if you can) from Naples. Capri was just glorious, can’t say enough about it, the town tour was wonderful followed by a lunch then shopping - perfect day.

Heard wonderful reports about Pompeii and the Blue Grotto tours too think these also go from Naples but someone will correct me if I’m wrong as it was 3 years ago [emoji57]

Naples can be a fascinating place, but much research or help is needed. Trouble is, a number of the really interesting things are subterranean. I was there for about a week at a conference.

The Greco-Roman Theatre complex is very interesting — under some houses https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/the-greco-roman-theatre/

Underground Naples is a series of tunnels dating back beyond the Roman and Greek times. Once used for water supply and sewers, except the leaching through the stone led to cholera. Lots of stories about the place from our guide. http://www.lanapolisotterranea.it/home_ing.htm

Around the town is the palace and the beautiful Victoria era arcade. Egg Castle gives great views of the bay.

Also, think of Herculaneum as well as Pompei. Much of it better preserved.

Naples can be a fascinating place, but much research or help is needed. Trouble is, a number of the really interesting things are subterranean. I was there for about a week at a conference.

The Greco-Roman Theatre complex is very interesting — under some houses https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/the-greco-roman-theatre/

Underground Naples is a series of tunnels dating back beyond the Roman and Greek times. Once used for water supply and sewers, except the leaching through the stone led to cholera. Lots of stories about the place from our guide. http://www.lanapolisotterranea.it/home_ing.htm

Around the town is the palace and the beautiful Victoria era arcade. Egg Castle gives great views of the bay.

Also, think of Herculaneum as well as Pompei. Much of it better preserved.

Like most cities, one needs to be there for a week or more to appreciate it fully, not just rely on first impressions, Napoli included. For example in 2014 we did Golden Princess Buenos Aires to LA - around Cape Horn. Upon arrival in Buenos Aires I was not overly impressed but we had 9 nights there, followed by 3 nights at Igauzu Falls and saw the real BA, plus a little bit of Argentina.:*

So as Docker123 says, explore Napoli, but one does not have time really on a cruise.

Hi, Has anyone done a tour of Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi coast etc. and booked it when they got off in Naples. Thanks.

Janet

Cruised into Napoli 3 times and did our own thing twice. I think Naples is one of Italy's best cities with so much atmosphere and culture and passionate fun locals. But at first glance it can look a little dirty etc. keep in mind that places like Pompei are not close to the port & Amalfi coast is much further still.

Yes there will be plenty of licenced taxis at the port trying to sell you tours. Up to you on the day to discuss, haggle, buy etc. You can also easily do Pompei and Sorrento on your own via tram and train as we did the first time we went there 10 years ago.

We have been to Naples several times.

We have organised a private tour to go to Capri for 6 of us, fast ferry and open Taxi.

We have organised a private tour to Almafi coast, Positano and Pompei with lunch for 8 of us in a very comfortable van.

We have done a ship's tour of Herculeum and Naples.

And we have also done our own thing and walked around Naples.