You Were "Used"

cookingmom

Thank you fellow Cruise Critic posters for ALL of your suggestions and excellent advice. My family of 5 just returned from our long awaited and planned for cruise. We had an early flight into FLL the day before and took a Lyft (nice Chevy Suberban) to the Embassy Suites. After reading the very "mixed" reviews, I was sweating it a bit. Kathleen at the front desk was great! She would expedite check in for one room, we dropped our bags in the holding room, and we were off to lunch!

We walked to Laspadas for hoagies and it did not disappoint! It's a little dive that makes a great sub sandwich (we're from NJ and we call them subs!) We then went to Publix and Total Wine and by then, our rooms were available.

Yes, the Embassy Suites is older and a bit tired, but for a family group, for one night, it was ideal. The location was especially great. DH and I walked back to Publix and hopped on the Sun Trolley ($1- really) for a beach tour. The preparations were in full swing for the following weekend's Tortuga Music Festival. We knew that was happening so we planned accordingly for our return.

That night, we walked to Gilbert's for a great dinner. Low key, terrific burgers- what could be better?

We slept well. Bedding was good, room was quiet, and breakfast was fine. We called a Lyft and off we went to the port!

When we disembarked, our return flight wasn't until 7:20pm. The crowds and craziness of the Tortuga Music Festival would make the beach area and the water taxi poor choices for the day. We rented a car from Alamo (great except my confirmation info didn't include the phone number for the shuttle pick up). We drove to the Everglades (easy 30 min drive) and took an airboat ride. We saw alligators and crossed it off our to do list. After a simple lunch we drove to Davie (less than 30 min) and went to the Flamingo Gardens. We all loved it! Non-commercial, botanical garden with wonderful animal exhibits. We arrived just in time for the educational animal show and then went into the aviary and experienced the feeding process. I had found a coupon online and with it and a Senior discount, the admission was less than $20 pp. We then headed back to the airport with plenty of time to kill. The car rental was less than $100 and drop off was at the terminal. Easy.

Thank you fellow Cruise Critic posters for ALL of your suggestions and excellent advice. My family of 5 just returned from our long awaited and planned for cruise. We had an early flight into FLL the day before and took a Lyft (nice Chevy Suberban) to the Embassy Suites. After reading the very "mixed" reviews, I was sweating it a bit. Kathleen at the front desk was great! She would expedite check in for one room, we dropped our bags in the holding room, and we were off to lunch!

We walked to Laspadas for hoagies and it did not disappoint! It's a little dive that makes a great sub sandwich (we're from NJ and we call them subs!) We then went to Publix and Total Wine and by then, our rooms were available.

Yes, the Embassy Suites is older and a bit tired, but for a family group, for one night, it was ideal. The location was especially great. DH and I walked back to Publix and hopped on the Sun Trolley ($1- really) for a beach tour. The preparations were in full swing for the following weekend's Tortuga Music Festival. We knew that was happening so we planned accordingly for our return.

That night, we walked to Gilbert's for a great dinner. Low key, terrific burgers- what could be better?

We slept well. Bedding was good, room was quiet, and breakfast was fine. We called a Lyft and off we went to the port!

When we disembarked, our return flight wasn't until 7:20pm. The crowds and craziness of the Tortuga Music Festival would make the beach area and the water taxi poor choices for the day. We rented a car from Alamo (great except my confirmation info didn't include the phone number for the shuttle pick up). We drove to the Everglades (easy 30 min drive) and took an airboat ride. We saw alligators and crossed it off our to do list. After a simple lunch we drove to Davie (less than 30 min) and went to the Flamingo Gardens. We all loved it! Non-commercial, botanical garden with wonderful animal exhibits. We arrived just in time for the educational animal show and then went into the aviary and experienced the feeding process. I had found a coupon online and with it and a Senior discount, the admission was less than $20 pp. We then headed back to the airport with plenty of time to kill. The car rental was less than $100 and drop off was at the terminal. Easy.

LaSpada’s is a local favorite! ( grew up riding my bike to the original LaSpada’s in LBS ) Glad you enjoyed your time in Ft Lauderdale!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Flamingo Gardens, glad you enjoyed it! We live only a few blocks away. Not many cruisers make their way out to our little slice of paradise often :)

Seems like you did your homework and made some excellent choices on your trip. It's fun seeing updates like this.

• 2 months later...

Hello Cookingmom,

Thank you for the recent review. We are considering doing a post-cruise excursion with Princess that will visit the Everglades (airboat ride) followed by a brief visit to Flamingo Gardens. It sounds like you really enjoyed both activities . How long did you spend at each location? It seems the Princess tour is very rushed, but I can understand why, since they plan to drop off everyone at FLL airport at the conclusion of it by 1pm.

So my question for you is , What area of Flamingo Gardens did you most enjoy? And what is a definite do not miss? Wish we had more time to explore, but we will just need to make the most of it. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.