Advice on Rome Itinerary

JayhawkCruiser23

Hello! I have been researching Rome on here and other travel websites for a couple months now. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of an itinerary, but would like some feedback on it from those that have been there before. This is at the end of July, beginning of August. We will hit the free Sundays, but as those are embarkation/debarkation days anyway, plan to stay away from the museums on those days. We will be arriving 3 days before our cruise departure, and leave 2 days following cruise return.

Part 1

Thurs: Arrive in morning - check in and walk around Rome, getting our bearings before an aperitivo and then early sleep.

Fri: Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill with online tickets - plan to get there when it opens. Then explore area around Colosseum like churches and Capitoline Hill.

Sat: Borghese Gallery with picnic in gardens. See Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and Piazza Navona.

Sun: Walk around Campo de Fiori before heading to cruise ship.

Part 2

Sun: Return from cruise ship - hope to take a post-cruise tour of Roman countryside before coming back to Rome

Mon: 7:00am - St. Peter’s Basilica with dome @8am. Vatican Museums following. (I see they have you select a time for the museum entrance; do you have to be there right at that time, early or can you be after that time? Also, how long do we need to plan to stay at St. Peter’s before heading over to the museums?) Explore Trastevere or anything we haven’t seen yet/want to see again.

Tues: Fly home

I realize it is going to be busy no matter what, so just seeing how much a specific day of the week matters. Any feedback is welcome! Thank you!

It's a great idea to spend much of your arrival day after an overnight fight outdoors, it does help you adjust to the time change.

You could swing by one of the alternate ticket offices (the Palatine Hill office on Via di San Gregorio or the Forum ticket office just off Via dei Fori Imperiali) as you are wandering around on your arrival day rather than buy the tickets on line.

Borghese Gallery tickets must be purchased in advance and you need to get there about 15 - 30 minutes ahead of time. You cannot carry anything into the gallery with you but there are lockers to place your things in.

For the Vatican museums they'll give you a little leeway, maybe 15 minutes +/- but I wouldn't push it more than that.

I actually think you have laid out your plans very well and each day is quite doable. You have allowed reasonable time for each of the major sites unlike the day tourers who plan to see everything in one 6 hr day

Enjoy

I do think your plan is excellent.

As euro cruiser also mentioned it is very wise to get outside after you settle on the day you arrive. I find it very important after along flight to get sunlight and also fresh air.

While I think you have a great plan it will be crowded in Rome and it may be very hot and humid.

So do pace yourself.

Take time to hydrate and don't try to run around and not enjoy each area you are seeing.

In other words if you get behind schedule just enjoy what you are seeing even if you have to alter plans.

Nice work to put this together.

Keith

We are taking a tour to Tivoli and Hadrian’s villa after our cruise in June. We are using Joe Banana. They will pick us up at the port and then drop us at our air bnb after.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cost per person, including return transport & all entry fees?