Never saw a single dollar tipped on the MSC Seaside last week.

tallnthensome

ToSmurf2017. You pay the DSC. That's fine, and no other tipping is needed. My problem is with those that take off the DSC, and then gripe they should not have to tip. Or the ones that say they take off the DSC and may tip when they think it's warranted. Don't even ask about the people in the backround that are also in the DSC pool, that won't see a cent from these trolls.

So do you tip the likes of bank clerks and shop assistants? Do you tip the flight attendant who brings your drinks? Other than the mode of travel, it's no different to the waiter on a ship. Where do you draw the line?

In Europe, people are paid a proper salary for the job they do. They are happy to have a job and do not expect to be tipped. So you can understand how your tipping culture is so alien to us.

For the record, when on your side of the pond, I accept the fact that servers are not paid a living wage and tip accordingly. I also pay the DSC but, after paying a 15, 18 or 20% gratuity to be handed a drink, I do not see any need to pay any additional tip. If that makes me cheap in your eyes, so be it, but I still sleep soundly at night.

Your example is EXACTLY my point. We all know our cruise ship staff are not paid what the bank clerk and shop assistants in the US are paid. And they are certainly not paid a European wage. Actually, likely only a fraction there of. And so they rely on tips from us, those who can afford to cruise and graciously accept their service, to provide for their livelihood. I do not love that the cruise industry pays low, low wages but it’s what it is and I feel sure is reflected in lower cruise fares that we all benefit from... I don’t think it is about the customs of home when you are not sailing with staff working under the conditions of Home. That’s what doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your example is EXACTLY my point. We all know our cruise ship staff are not paid what the bank clerk and shop assistants in the US are paid. And they are certainly not paid a European wage. Actually, likely only a fraction there of. And so they rely on tips from us, those who can afford to cruise and graciously accept their service, to provide for their livelihood. I do not love that the cruise industry pays low, low wages but it’s what it is and I feel sure is reflected in lower cruise fares that we all benefit from... I don’t think it is about the customs of home when you are not sailing with staff working under the conditions of Home. That’s what doesn’t make sense.

Perfect, absolutely perfect response .... Much better than those hiding behind a one liner that MSC doesn't recommend personal tips, Who cares what MSC recommends? I mean really? ...... I had specific servers and bartenders that I used all weeks and threw them a few dollars each and they were so so appreciative. MSC tip police didn't come after me on board for it. You all can keep using that recommendation from MSC as your way out from tipping. Again, I don't care what your customs are in Europe ..... I've been there several times and tipped them just as well. If you want to hide behind your supposed imaginary "law" of no tips on MSC so be it ..... cheapskates. You wouldn't tip if there wasn't anything written about tips by MSC either so .......

Perfect, absolutely perfect response .... Much better than those hiding behind a one liner that MSC doesn't recommend personal tips, Who cares what MSC recommends? I mean really? ...... I had specific servers and bartenders that I used all weeks and threw them a few dollars each and they were so so appreciative. MSC tip police didn't come after me on board for it. You all can keep using that recommendation from MSC as your way out from tipping. Again, I don't care what your customs are in Europe ..... I've been there several times and tipped them just as well. If you want to hide behind your supposed imaginary "law" of no tips on MSC so be it ..... cheapskates. You wouldn't tip if there wasn't anything written about tips by MSC either so .......

Actually we do tip at the end!

I posted the terms and conditions as shown on the MSC site.

Also I believe it was on the Divina there was something in the daily about if staff are seen accepting tips they face dismissal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No one is calling it a "law" of no tips but you. It's not completely illogical to follow what MSC recommends, to suggest that you just have nOoOoOo idea why anyone would do what MSC recommends is absurd. They recommend I do pay DSC, should I just say "who cares" what they recommend in that instance?

I pay the DSC and I tipped per drink (sometimes) and to specific members who made my cruise special (as well as also paying the DSC) on my last cruise on Royal Caribbean which is a cruise line that does not discourage individual tips. For my upoming MSC cruise during my planning I was thinking about how much cash I should bring, taking into account occasionally tipping per drink and giving tips to individual crew, but when I saw MSC recommended it I decided not to. So your blanket statement that us cheapskates (by the way, why do you have to name call? Do you know how to have a discussion without resorting to those tactics?) wouldn't tip if there wasn't anything written is (when it comes to me at least) not true.

My guess, MSC suggests no tipping so their staff do not get a sense of how much they are missing by working for a “European” line. A taste of tips might entice their staff to jump ship to a line that encourages such absurdities!

My guess, MSC suggests no tipping so their staff do not get a sense of how much they are missing by working for a “European” line. A taste of tips might entice their staff to jump ship to a line that encourages such absurdities!

Or, they are earning a bit more with a European line, so they don't need any extra encouragement. In Europe 10% tip is the max

Wrong guess. At the end all the staff is hired by the same agencies in Phillippines and Indonesia. They know very well how much they earn on US (loads of tips plus DSC), Italy (DSC) and German (nothing) ships. Try to find somebody who left a German company like TUI Cruises to work for MSC or the Americans ;)

Lots of the crew we spoke to have worked for other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums