Never saw a single dollar tipped on the MSC Seaside last week.

tallnthensome

I didn't go to the MDR on the last night of my MSC cruise because the MDR food was bad and we only went 2 nights. But even if I had gone, I wouldn't be passing my waiter any extra tips. They get tipped through the DSC. I don't understand why I should be giving them anything else. Surely the days of handing over envelopes on the last night of the cruise are over? The level of service on board (clue: bad) certainly posed an argument for removal of the DSC, but I didn't and I wouldn't. It's not fair on the behind the scenes staff.

I didn't go to the MDR on the last night of my MSC cruise because the MDR food was bad and we only went 2 nights. But even if I had gone, I wouldn't be passing my waiter any extra tips. They get tipped through the DSC. I don't understand why I should be giving them anything else. Surely the days of handing over envelopes on the last night of the cruise are over? The level of service on board (clue: bad) certainly posed an argument for removal of the DSC, but I didn't and I wouldn't. It's not fair on the behind the scenes staff.

We gave extra in the MDR as we had very good service all week.

Our choice of wine was at the table along with a bottle of water every evening.

And we had no problems with the food etc.

We gave each of our waiters $20, which is probably considered cheap after reading what other people are leaving!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We gave extra in the MDR as we had very good service all week.

Our choice of wine was at the table along with a bottle of water every evening.

And we had no problems with the food etc.

We gave each of our waiters $20, which is probably considered cheap after reading what other people are leaving!

Ah well I guess if you have a really good waiter and want to tip extra then that's great- we never have a waiter who does anything more than the bare minimum! In fact a different guy took the drinks orders so he didn't even have to do that.

Let me throw this into the mix to hopefully show why we Europeans (well this one anyway!) can get confused by your tipping culture.

After a recent meal in Miami we were presented with a bill showing food and drink itemised, together with sales tax and "15% service charge." As I would expect, the 15% was calculated on the total cost of food and drink and not inclusive of the sales tax. But it did not stop there. Underneath were suggested gratuities to be added at 15%,18% and 20% and these amounts were calculated based on the total of the bill above, i.e. food and drink, sales tax AND service charge.

So, not only were we being hit with a double charge but, in the case of the 'suggested gratuity' it was a gratuity on the service charge and sales tax. I questioned this with the server and was told, quite bluntly, that the service charge went to the kitchen and that her service was covered by the gratuity. I informed her that, whilst I was a tourist, I was not stupid. The food that arrived on dirty plates, late and so only lukewarm, was a matter that she would have to take up with the kitchen as they haggled over sharing out the 15%.

Call me cheap if you like, but in the circumstances, I think they were lucky to get the 15%.

Let me throw this into the mix to hopefully show why we Europeans (well this one anyway!) can get confused by your tipping culture.

After a recent meal in Miami we were presented with a bill showing food and drink itemised, together with sales tax and "15% service charge." As I would expect, the 15% was calculated on the total cost of food and drink and not inclusive of the sales tax. But it did not stop there. Underneath were suggested gratuities to be added at 15%,18% and 20% and these amounts were calculated based on the total of the bill above, i.e. food and drink, sales tax AND service charge.

So, not only were we being hit with a double charge but, in the case of the 'suggested gratuity' it was a gratuity on the service charge and sales tax. I questioned this with the server and was told, quite bluntly, that the service charge went to the kitchen and that her service was covered by the gratuity. I informed her that, whilst I was a tourist, I was not stupid. The food that arrived on dirty plates, late and so only lukewarm, was a matter that she would have to take up with the kitchen as they haggled over sharing out the 15%.

Call me cheap if you like, but in the circumstances, I think they were lucky to get the 15%.

As I quoted earlier we are used to seeing the 15, 18 and 20% suggested and generally go for the middle option, but the suggested 23% I think it was worth n Key West well that was just ridiculous!!!

And do you pay this on the tax also!!!

And in a store in San Francisco a couple of years ago there was a sign next to the till asking customers to add extra to cover the cost of the staff pensions!!!

They wouldn't have had a single tip from me in this event.

One major issue i have is when a restaurant (in the UK i mean) adds a service charge to the bill. I hate this with a passion. and the waiter/waitress gets told immediately to remove it.

1 - because rumors have it in the UK that if the tips are paid to the restaurant, its either claimed by the restaurant, or is tax deductible for the waiting staff.

2 - because i will not be suggested to what optional tip i leave.

And 20% tip? Never from me. On a bill of £100, and in the UK that isn't unusual for a table of 2, i'm expected to hand over £20. Never going to happen. UK nor in the US.

One major issue i have is when a restaurant (in the UK i mean) adds a service charge to the bill. I hate this with a passion. and the waiter/waitress gets told immediately to remove it.

1 - because rumors have it in the UK that if the tips are paid to the restaurant, its either claimed by the restaurant, or is tax deductible for the waiting staff.

And 20% tip? Never from me. On a bill of £100, and in the UK that isn't unusual for a table of 2, i'm expected to hand over £20. Never going to happen. UK nor in the US.

I have come across those tipping suggestions in Longhorns steakhouse in Orlando.

The friendly staff usually get 15% tip off me but i have given more and less dependent on service.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

MSC Cruises is the world's largest privately owned cruise company company. It is the fourth overall cruise line in the World. And being a private corporation and not traded they need to release very little information. No reason for them to follow US or European wage rules. The ships are Flagged in Panama, they could be setup as a sub business of the company in Geneva.Switzerland, which is its headquarters.

Expat, just a friendly FYI. MSC Cruises always issues a publicly available Annual Report. It is COMPLETE with comparable financial (mostly, and audited) and non-financial data and statistics; and quite a bit of descriptive promotional material (where we sail, ships, etc.).

Here's 2017's Annual Report recently issued.

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Assets/MSC%20Cruises%20Annual%20Report%20-%2031.12.17%20-%20Audited.pdf

Here is 2016's Annual Report. It is possible to compare labor costs between cruise lines, but don't know if it would be apples to apples. I doubt 'tips (especially cash) are disclosed by the recipient staff memeber.

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Assets/MSC%20Cruises%20SA%20-%20Annual%20Report%202016.pdf

Interested in this discussion. On NCL we see cash tips being given frequently. Sailing msc next year and saw on their site tips are discouraged.

I've sailed NCL 6 times and only once seen a tip given, and we sit at the bar all night

Our next cruise is on NCL and our price includes all service charges, and the drink package and daily bottles of water in our cabin!

Thats because in the EU it's illegal to add something onto the final bill.

You will notice that the U.S. NCL site has different offers to the UK site, specifically in relation to the "free gratuities"

I'm sailing on the Seaside 4/28 and have already started gathering up my $1 and $5. I'm in the YC. And will tip there and elsewhere for service I deem as above average. I too worked in the service industry and know what it's like. I agree that it's your choice but if you choose not to tip(any or extra) then expect what you get. I've never removed my DSC from any cruise (I've done 71).

I know from engaging with the crew you learn alot! Yes they perfer Americans because we tip! If you hover your curser over a user hometown you can see a trend(you can figure out what I mean).

I work as a chef at a high end resort in SoFlo. My staff is also not happy serving non Americans especially those from the French parts of our northern neighbor.

I also tip per drink. I found I receive faster service and a heavier pour!

I'm sailing on the Seaside 4/28 and have already started gathering up my $1 and $5. I'm in the YC. And will tip there and elsewhere for service I deem as above average. I too worked in the service industry and know what it's like. I agree that it's your choice but if you choose not to tip(any or extra) then expect what you get. I've never removed my DSC from any cruise (I've done 71).

I know from engaging with the crew you learn alot! Yes they perfer Americans because we tip! If you hover your curser over a user hometown you can see a trend(you can figure out what I mean).

I work as a chef at a high end resort in SoFlo. My staff is also not happy serving non Americans especially those from the French parts of our northern neighbor.

Not true we had good service regardless we are nice to the crew and they are nice back!

And re the “generous” measures you actually have a drink package so giving a double is the norm regardless of your tip!

This is just an observation and my opinion. The ship was at least 70% European and South American and tipping must not be something that is done to my dismay. I took $200 in singles and tipped a dollar for every drink, and even cash tipped for Venchi and gelatos. The staff/bartenders was so happy when doing so. I never saw one other dollar given by anyone else. I thought the bar service was fast and excellent ...... waiters/waitresses on deck walking around taking orders and even orders in the buffet with the call buttons. They tried very hard to please and were always pleasant. I thought they deserved a tip as their service was better than on most other ships I've sailed. If you want to make some workers happy on the ship, throw them a few bucks. God knows nobody else did ..... Just saying.

1.You can put all your observations in one post, no need to open new Thread for every observation.

2. Its not common on cruise lines to give 1$ for every drink. I never saw it on any cruise line. Sometimes people do tip extra 10-20$ by the end of the cruise for bar attender they love .

3. I don't want to make any workers happy, not only on ships , but in any place I go, it's not my problem if they happy or not. They should do job well as all of us do at work. I do tip extra in many cases, but I don't play a big shot who fill sorry for waiter .

4.Even if I tip extra in many cases I don't think I should force other people to do so :confused:

1.You can put all your observations in one post, no need to open new Thread for every observation.

2. Its not common on cruise lines to give 1$ for every drink. I never saw it on any cruise line. Sometimes people do tip extra 10-20$ by the end of the cruise for bar attender they love .

3. I don't want to make any workers happy, not only on ships , but in any place I go, it's not my problem if they happy or not. They should do job well as all of us do at work. I do tip extra in many cases, but I don't play a big shot who fill sorry for waiter .

4.Even if I tip extra in many cases I don't think I should force other people to do so :confused:

Using the like button...

As I said before, I have no problem with people not tipping extra. My problem is with those that want to take away the DSC, which is hard earned.

Do you honestly believe the DSC goes to the staff? It's a rouse to make your cruise seem cheaper than it actually is,

and a tax dodge by the companies to boot.

It could easily be added to the entire cruise total when you pay and THEN be separated out by the cruise line as pay for their employees.

In the EU it is illegal to add anything further to the invoice when you get the final bill, and MSC are sailing pretty close to the wind on this. NCL were caught doing it now they have to add "free gratuities" to the offers and take away one of the ones that appear on the U.S. site.

Yes, and even though most restaurant staff will smile at all customers, they are talking about you behind your backs. I worked in a five star restaurant for many years (and a variety of restaurants before that) and right when customers would sit down, wait/bar staff would immediately comment on country of origin-- among other things. lol. "That looks like a great table (sarcasm)." This is just how it is. Tipping usually varies by specific country/culture and the argument that I do not tip in my country... doesn't hold because there are customers from not tipping countries who do tip. The Japanese, for example, tend to tip very well, even though they do not tip at home. And even though I worked in the US, I worked with people from all over the world, and non-americans would also talk about people from their own country or culture. I am sure this is not PC, but it is how the world really is. People writing on here complain that other cruisers call them cheap, but it is actually the staff who are calling you that behind your backs. I am not advocating over tipping, or telling anyone how to tip, just telling you how the people on the other side see you.

And as others have described, tips are divided. The last restaurant I worked. 10% of tips went to management (even though they are salaried), 10% bar, 20% bus and the two waiter team split the remainder. So I have no doubt that the cruise companies slice and dice gratuities so that individual staff get less than you think.

And I also suspect that staff on msc desperately try to get on with a cruise line that has more American passemgers, that it is a stepping stone line for staff.

Is that what you think it is? Bragging? Not seeing one dollar given to a single server or bar staff somehow becomes bragging instead of sad when compared to other ships sailed? All I can say is "wow" to that view of yours. I've seen bartenders on Carnival with handfuls of dollars and empty one's on MSC and people being defensive in making it that way. That's what I feel is sad. Giving a couple dollars to nice people is bragging? Sad you believe so ...... :rolleyes:

Yes, it is braggin. how old are you? 20?

As I quoted earlier we are used to seeing the 15, 18 and 20% suggested and generally go for the middle option, but the suggested 23% I think it was worth n Key West well that was just ridiculous!!!

And do you pay this on the tax also!!!

And in a store in San Francisco a couple of years ago there was a sign next to the till asking customers to add extra to cover the cost of the staff pensions!!!

It is ridiculous and its started in Canada as well. We always had max 10% tip in regular places in max 15 % in upscale restaurants. Now every eatery have "suggested tipping " 15% and up . :evilsmile:

YC and drink packages no need to tip by the drink IMO. All included, they will pour what you ask. We instead tipped several who stood out on the last night. Tipping by the drink seems contrary to the MSC culture. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I totally get you. At the prices you guys in UK are charged, I totally get you. I was charged 28 pounds for a cheese burger in a simple neighborhood restaurant while visiting London. Comparable item in US: $10 or less( what is that about 6 pounds?). At that price in US, I could afford to leave a couple of extra bucks for the waiter and still come out ahead. I do not have the bill in front of me, but I seem to remember that the cost of the food itself was about 50% of the bill, the rest being taxes on top of taxes, do not recall a "service charge" but do recall asking and being told by the waiter that no additional tip was required, he was paid an adequate wage. I asked because even though I thought the price was high, I did not wish to stiff the wait staff, and even though the food and service were exceptional, I just did not feel to spend more for just a cheese burger.

So yes, totally different culture, totally different circumstances. When they say "When in Rome....." there is a reason for saying so. I don't think we can compare our different stance on tipping. Is just a different way of life. What do you think?

I really think that most people from "nontipping countries" tip when they are in a country where tipping is the norm, for example the US.

The thing is that very few cruiseships are American. Why shall we assume that the US norm is the right thing when the cruiseline say that it isn't?

Of course it's better to get a tip than not but I think that we can assume that many people working at restaurants in "nontipping countries" laugh at Americans for giving them a tip when they really don't have to.

ups should be feel sorry

Totally agree with you on YC. We didn't tip per drink, but at the end of the cruise we tipped some who stood out during the week. We did tip intermittently, though, out in the public areas of the ship where we did not spend great periods of time. For example, great service from one server in the Champagne Bar one day resulted in a tip. Poor service from a different person another day, no tip. We did tip for quick and correct service in the casino bar before heading into a show most every night.

YC and drink packages no need to tip by the drink IMO. All included, they will pour what you ask. We instead tipped several who stood out on the last night. Tipping by the drink seems contrary to the MSC culture. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums