Hi I have a stupid newb question.

rabidewok

My wife and I are going on the Golden Princess March 11 cruise out of San Juan. Ive heard rumor about laws changing and I was wondering if Birth certificate and Drivers liscense is still enough or do we need passports now? If i need a passport that is fine but Id rather not spend the 90 a person if I dont have to.

My wife and I are going on the Golden Princess March 11 cruise out of San Juan. Ive heard rumor about laws changing and I was wondering if Birth certificate and Drivers liscense is still enough or do we need passports now? If i need a passport that is fine but Id rather not spend the 90 a person if I dont have to.

Hi and welcome.

Not a stupid question at all. Here's the link to the new passport requirements from Princess' website.

http://www.princess.com/faq/passport.html

Happy Cruising!;)

A passport is not going to be required now until January 1st 2007. I am with you, I am not going to bother getting a passport until they are required and save some money now. Everyone always says "well there good for 10 years". That's true, but the longer I wait to get one the longer mine will be good for.

No such thing as a dumb question!

You won't need a passport this time around, which is a good thing, 'cos your chances of getting one before March 11 are slim to none! However, after this year, you will need a passport to go about anywhere out of the US, so you might want to get the process started soon. It is still the best form of ID. If you are going to be a frequent traveler, think of it as $9 a year. maybe that will make it a little more palatable for you :)

Rabidewok - I would get your new passport now. We only paid $75 a few years ago and the price of them is bound to go up when the new law is in effect. You should have your new passport within about 6 weeks and like others have said here, it makes moving across borders so much easier. We've had friends who were denied entrance onto a plane for the Bahamas because they didn't believe their birth certificates were real, even through they'd used the same ones several times before. It could cost you some major bucks if your BC is denied. Just a thought... :)

One thought....I got my Passport a couple months ago. It came really quick, faster than the 8 weeks they had projected. HOWEVER, they will keep your birth certificate and return it along with the new passport. Therefore, if the passport doesn't come before you leave, not only will you NOT have a passport but you won't have a birth certificate either. With pictures and all the other fees, it ended up costing almost $120.

If your cruise is eight weeks out, you're probably ok, but .....

One thought....I got my Passport a couple months ago. It came really quick, faster than the 8 weeks they had projected. HOWEVER, they will keep your birth certificate and return it along with the new passport. Therefore, if the passport doesn't come before you leave, not only will you NOT have a passport but you won't have a birth certificate either. With pictures and all the other fees, it ended up costing almost $120.

OK THIS SCARES ME! IF THIS IS TRUE I MAY WAIT THIS TIME ON THE PASSPORTS. I THINK I WILL THE PASSPORT PROCESS STARTED IN APRIL.

THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSES, I FEEL BETTER NOW:)

But a thought: passports are good for 10 years, and you only have to carry the one document with you...so you really ought to get 'em... it simplifies the embarkation process...:D

Bambam, is the passport the one document you are talking about, or will I need some other form of identification? We got our passports last spring, so it will be our first time travelling with them. We got them back very quickly...I think it was about 3 1/2 weeks if I'm remembering correctly. By the way, the price went up one week after we did our paperwork, and the postal worker said quote " I reckons the price will go up again." unquote.

jRabidewok, I had a boss years ago who said "The only dumb question is the unasked question" You never learn if you don't ask.

We are on our 2nd. passport. You never know when you would want to go somewhere and need it. It takes a while to get a passport. Why wait. You don't want to miss out on a great trip some time because you don't have one.

Excellent point! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Elf

You have time to get the passport and eventually it will be necessary so why not? Also, disembarkation is much faster if you have a passport. On Princess, in the customs area before you get your bags,they form two lines, a passport one and another for other forms of i.d. The passport line moves right along.

Oh, also, if you go with the birth certificate it MUST be a certified one with the raised seal. You can obtain these from your state of birth. I have a billfold size laminated one that is always with me along with my D.L. But I still travel with my passport on cruises, or even just across the border to Canada.

Info from sparkel56 is very important. When we tried to get passports the Post Office didn't like our 50 year old birth certificates - needed both a serial number and raised seal. My raised seal was flat and neither had serial numbers in those days. Solution was to go on the state web site and apply for a new one. Real racket - $29 and you certify who you are by typing your name in a box. Cruise line will probably accept almost anything getting on but you have to go through US Immigration at the end of the cruise and those folks could be tougher.

I'd hate to wait until closer to the deadline for when passports are required. I'm imaging that it will take much longer than the 3 weeks it took to get our kids' second passport processed and returned. The wait will probably be closer to the 6 to 8 weeks they tell you it will take to get them back.

Having passports for everyone sure makes going immigration faster both going to Mexico (or Canada) and returning to the US. Mexico still stamps passports. I've got a stamp from Mexico for December 18 two years in a row.

If you want a passport but are worried about getting it back in time, you can request expedited processing for an additional $60 fee. The State Dept website quotes a 2 week turnaround time on expedited processing as opposed to 6 weeks for their routine service. If that's still not fast enough, there are several very good private passport expediting services that will basically hand-carry your application through the process....for a price of course. Expect to play between $100 and $150 more for their services.

I used one of the private agencies 2 years ago because I needed my passport quickly. Had the passport in my hand 3 days after FedEx'ing everything to them. Expensive, but worth it if you're in a hurry.

Have a great cruise! :)

My TA advised us that passports are necessary for Carribean travel by

Jan. 1 2006.

You log on to https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_i.asp to apply for your passport and get it in 2 weeks for an extra fee. My daughter's only took 3 1/2 weeks to arrive by doing it the long way.

Good question by the way!

Just a little follow up to previous posts. On our last cruise we were at the airport, luggage checked. DH started to be concerned he had left his passport at home. I called Princess to see if just a DL would suffice should that be the case. The answer was no. And the rep. said the only acceptable alternative to a passport for Princess would be a certified copy of a birth certificate and a DL. So DH had to retrieve his luggage that had already been checked, scanned, etc. The passport was in the luggage.

Also, our TA called me right after we booked our upcoming cruise last spring to confirm that we do, in fact, have passports because of the requirement that yes, we can board and leave the US but we can't get back in at disembarkation without one, according to the new laws that take effect tomorrow.

Happy New Year!

Archived