1st Timer with ?s-help please!

jana616

Hi, my husband and I are going on the 1/22 Radiance cruise and I am getting into serious planning mode. I had a couple of questions I am hoping all of you experienced cruisers can help with...

1)Formal night attire-I have seen various other posts about this topic, but here is my specific question. I found a strapless, plum colored, A-line floor-length dress on clearance today at Macy's for $30. It's kind of a ball gown style, but not really poofy at the bottom (no crinoline or anything), if that makes any sense. Sorry to all the guys I just lost there-LOL!!! Is this too fancy for formal night? I know there will be a bit of everything, but I am pretty self-conscious and don't like being the one overdressed (or underdressed) in a room. Also, is one of the formal nights "less" formal than the other? My other dress is a knee length black dress, which is a lot less formal looking. My husband will be wearing a nice dark suit.

2) Does anyone have the Chops and Portofino menus they could post?

3) Bringing liquor on board. Again, I have seen various posts about this topic, and I think I have a handle on the moral/ethical debates of bringing your own. What I would like to know is, if I bring a small plastic bottle of tequila or rum, will it be confiscated? What about a 6 pack of 20 ounce plastic Pepsi bottles (with Pepsi in them!)? And should I pack these in my carry-on or checked luggage at the pier?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I look forward to your answers!

The long, plum gown sounds elegant. I usually take a long gown and a short cocktail dress. You will be right at home either way. If you pack your liquor in your checked luggage, it will be no problem. Many folks have reported carrying soft drinks on board. We always pack a plastic liter of Canadian whiskey for my husband and carry on a couple of bottles of wine. I wouldn't suggest you try taking the liquor in your carry-on luggage, as it would probably be confisgated.

We also sailed on the Radiance, and she is a beautiful ship. The glass elevators were something to experience. Anyway...Both formal nights are exactly the same except that the menu is different for both obviously. I think one has Filet Mignon while the secong night is lobster night!!! Ew. Ah!!

Do not think that you will be too dressy. It is so fun to get all dressed up, have a cocktail before dinner, have your picture taken in several settings, have a wondeful meal, and then relax at the show that evening. I mean really, in this day and age, when do any of us have time to do all of that in one night, much less twice in one week. It is gratifying to see everyone( for the most part) dressed to the nines and ready for a great night!!

So dress up and have a great night!!

Don't you just love sales! $30 is a wonderful bargain and it sounds perfect for one of the formal nights - I found that on the second formal night some people were not as dressed up as the first - both your dresses sound lovely.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise - The best advise that I could give anyone is to decide that you will have the best time ever - and then just look for everything that is good about you adventure - enjoy!! Jan

I always take cokes in an ice chest and ask the room attendant to add ice everyday, just be sure to stick a dollar each morning thru the handle for his trouble and at the end of the cruise I leave the ice chest for him.

RCI doesn't seem to care if you bring soft drinks on board.

I agree with Jane in Maine, the second formal night is a little less dressy than the first. I have taken a floor length to wear the first night and gone so far as to take silk pants and a glittery sweater set to wear the second night. My husband just takes one suit and different dress shirts and ties for each formal night.

We were on the Radiance last year to Alaska and you will absolutely love the ship. She is stunning (and I can still say this after 12 cruises). We loved the Radiance class ships so much we will be on her sister ship, the Jewel, in TWO WEEKS!!!! Oh my gosh, will it ever get here??

Formal Nights... someone else on this post mentioned it and I'll repeat. I take one suit, two different dress shirts and two different ties. My wife wears a long dress the 1st night and something not quite as formal the 2nd night.

Bringing liquor on board... have never done that but we normally bring an extra carry on bag that contains 3 12 packs of diet pepsi. Have never had a problem bringing soft drinks on board.

Tim

Hi, my husband and I are going on the 1/22 Radiance cruise and I am getting into serious planning mode. I had a couple of questions I am hoping all of you experienced cruisers can help with...

1)Formal night attire-I have seen various other posts about this topic, but here is my specific question. I found a strapless, plum colored, A-line floor-length dress on clearance today at Macy's for $30. It's kind of a ball gown style, but not really poofy at the bottom (no crinoline or anything), if that makes any sense. Sorry to all the guys I just lost there-LOL!!! Is this too fancy for formal night? I know there will be a bit of everything, but I am pretty self-conscious and don't like being the one overdressed (or underdressed) in a room. Also, is one of the formal nights "less" formal than the other? My other dress is a knee length black dress, which is a lot less formal looking. My husband will be wearing a nice dark suit.

2) Does anyone have the Chops and Portofino menus they could post?

3) Bringing liquor on board. Again, I have seen various posts about this topic, and I think I have a handle on the moral/ethical debates of bringing your own. What I would like to know is, if I bring a small plastic bottle of tequila or rum, will it be confiscated? What about a 6 pack of 20 ounce plastic Pepsi bottles (with Pepsi in them!)? And should I pack these in my carry-on or checked luggage at the pier?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I look forward to your answers!

Better to be over dressed then under dresssed. Chops has a ne menu not sure if it is on all of the ships yet and Portofino's is getting a new menu also.

Liquor is NO

Pepsi is fine in small quanities.

Tj

We always take a roll on cooler as one of our checked bags and have our Pepsi/Diet Pepsi in it. We always put duct tape around it to prevent it from spilling out. We also tip our room steward $20.00 up front and ask that the cooler be kept full of ice. Never had any problems.

Hey, I always bring along a plastic 750 ML bottle in my checked baggage, and have never had a problem with it.

I usually rent a tux, because it's easier (it shows up in the room, ready to go) than packing a suit.

That's because my wife usually hogs half of my suitcase for at least a dozen pairs of shoes....

Corvette Girl says the Plum dress will be just fine. You're going to be in elegant surroundings, so you might as well be elegant, too!

Archived