Fascinating (?) Confessions - Carnival Fascination April 8-15, 2018

Morgeuse

Thanks for your review- loved your confessions lol!

I have been wondering about this ship and itinerary... a girlfriend went and was not impressed. She said what I had wondered- that the ship was too old and worn...boring... and the itinerary wore her out. This is a friend is the least picky person I know and takes 3-4 Carnival cruises a year and never complained until this ship.I keep thinking it's an amazing itinerary and I'd like to give it a go but with a teenage daughter it's likely a no go - she gets run down with lost of ports and normally prefers the sea days... so maybe ill go with friends. I'd be going for the ports so I'm okay with the older ship - BUT my concern is these days I do get motion sick (not so in my 20s lol) and so I am concerned about older stabilizers....

I was on the Fascination cruise a week after this one. There are many new eateries/bar updates on the Fascination such as Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana Canitna, Bonsai Sushi Express, Blue Iguana Pub, Red Frog Pub and the Alchemy Bar. The ship is clean with a great crew. The food and entertainment were great. The only thing I missed was the steakhouse. I was a bit worn out from the ports so the last port I stayed on board for my own sea day. I would say definitely go on this cruise. It was also nice to start this cruise in San Juan. I stayed one night before the cruise in Old San Juan and it was a lot of fun and a lot to do from shopping, restaurants, bars and it was fun to walk around. The cruise terminal is in Old San Juan so you can walk right to the ship. :cool:

Great review and very well written and entertaining! At times I forgot I was merely reading a review and I felt as if it was a chapter from a great book!

28 days to go and my family and friends will board Fascination from Barbados!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your review. We plan to do the Fascination the end of March, next year.:)I believe you said you were 62, well I have done many cruises with small and large ships as well. My friend and I are both "75", and she probably gets around like you do, but for myself, people cannot believe how old I am, and tell me I "look" 10 years younger, and probably ACT that way too.:)

I'm going with a "positive" attitude, and if something goes wrong, then I will deal with it. I'm not a nit picky person like some people. If something goes better than expected, then that will be that much better.

I chose this itinerary because of St. Lucia. The cost from KC to San Juan is what makes it so bad, when flying. I have been privileged to visit St. Lucia, and thought this might be my last time, so I took the plunge while I had a chance.:)

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for the review. We will be doing this trip in October of this year. Flying out of Kansas City and one stop in Chicago. I noticed you are from the Midwest. How long is the flight to get to San Juan?
Which airline and how much is your airfare? Cruising in November and watching prices like a hawk. I want to get there Saturday afternoon but the cheapest I'm finding is overnight into Sunday morning.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Enjoyed your review. I am from the Midwest (Kansas City/Gladstone) as well.:)

We are to do the Fascination (the itinerary, especially St. Lucia) the end of March next year for the first time. I have done about 15 or more cruises, so I have done the very large ships (other cruise lines), as well as small ships like this one. I understand it is a small ship, and older, but with this trip, I am "thinking" POSITIVE, that we will have a good time, no matter what the circumstances are, and deal with them.:)

Cute review with the confessions, I liked it! I am wondering, since you didn't say, if your last crusie was on Celebrity and you went back to Carnival for this one ( I know you mentioned the attractive itinerary) ? I am huge Celebrity fan, they really know how to make you feel special. But have booked a Carnival crusie for Fall due to port departure and a large group with different budgets. I personally like the smaller ships and old doesn't bother me, but I do like to feel that the crew is doing everything they can to make it "special" and not overwhelmed by short staff issues . That makes all the difference to me. Hopefully I will be pleasently surprised, but am going with lower expectations to hopefully help! ;) Would you still crusie Carnival again? Or is it back to Celebrity for you?

Oh, l'd cruise either again, or try other lines. I am easy to please, and cost is a major factor since I travel solo. I will say I might choose a newer ship, but itinerary & cost are first considerations for me. I'm considering the Mediterranean or a river cruise for a change.

Which airline and how much is your airfare? Cruising in November and watching prices like a hawk. I want to get there Saturday afternoon but the cheapest I'm finding is overnight into Sunday morning.

We are going in Sept. flying with Southwest. We bought our airfare about 90 days out on a Wednesday night about 10pm central. Flying from Dallas to San Juan for $285/pp RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Day 5 - Barbados

Anyway, I think I was off the ship by 8:30, and in a cab to Pirate Cove ($5) soon afterward. It was just a short ride away, and right next door to The Boatyard, which I walked to later. I chose Pirate Cove because the photos showed lots of shade, and that is where the Carnival excursions go. It is a very pretty area. Got a chair ($8) under a palapa & settled in. It was a windy day and the surf was a bit rough - in fact later in the morning they posted the red flags, but I did wade a little. I was approached by a gentleman selling a snorkel tour to see the turtles ($20), but I declined. My Facebook buddies went to The Boatyard and paid $20 upfront which included their chair plus the snorkel tour, but food is more expensive and it is more crowded. So, your choice.

By 1 p.m. I was ready to head back so I showered the sand off and went in search of a cab. This is where I goofed because I should have arranged ahead of time for a pickup with the same driver who brought me. There were drivers inside, but they were waiting on folks who had pre-arranged and I did not want to wait, so they found someone willing to take me. He asked for $10 since I was the only passenger, and I am sure I could have negotiated, but what the heck, I agreed. I think he was a bit surprised, and gave me a very nice commentary on the way back, which I appreciated.

This is why I say that Barbados has the worst taxi service of this itinerary (and possibly at or near the top of a very short list in the Caribbean). They are inconsistent with their prices even though they are (loosely) regulated and prices to a lot of areas are fixed. A taxi ride to / from Carlise Beach (where Pirate Cove, Boatyard, Lobster Alive and Harbor Lights are located) is US$5 + tip and it is stated in a big sign when you exit the terminal to get to the taxi dispatch area. Of course the driver was surprised by you agreeing to a $10 ride. He took advantage of you.

On another note: Loved your review, especially your confessions!!!!! It was a great read and reminded me of the " free tips" I put in my reviews...lol! I've done this itinerary three times (just once on the Fascination) and I can't wait to go another go-around... soon!!

We are planning on using Southwest (FREE luggage :)) as some of the rest have said too. I know it will be expensive, flying from Kansas City to San Juan, but haven't been able to get the price as yet, as SWA told me they will not be putting March 31st in until the middle part of this month. So thus.........we have to wait.:(

We are also cruising on the Fascination in November and I booked Southwest. After watching the rates like a hawk several times a day for several weeks I finally decided to book a Thursday afternoon flight (even though the cruise is Sunday). My husband was originally not thrilled about the extra day off work and the kids missing school but when I told him it was a $1000 price difference for the 4 of us he was ok with it. :). We are looking forward to spending time in San Juan pre cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't seen (won't be out until August 16th) SWA price for us to fly to San Juan from KC. As I said earlier, I'm sure it will be expensive, and we would rather not have to stay all night, but I see in your instances, you are better off that way. I would rather fly very early in the morning, and have it be a long flight, then having to stay all night at a hotel/motel. So time will tell.:)

I haven't seen (won't be out until August 16th) SWA price for us to fly to San Juan from KC. As I said earlier, I'm sure it will be expensive, and we would rather not have to stay all night, but I see in your instances, you are better off that way. I would rather fly very early in the morning, and have it be a long flight, then having to stay all night at a hotel/motel. So time will tell.:)

We cruise 11/25 and flights into SJU on SWA are $700 now! United is the cheapest I'm finding and with $25/bag it's still cheaper...only problem is it's overnight flying getting into SJU @6am. I want to be there Saturday afternoon and experience the city/country.

There's an app called Skiplagged that I'm using to find the best prices. Based on the flight times, United has the best fares available so far. I even looked into flying out of STL and it wasn't any cheaper...especially when you have to park for 8 days somewhere.

BTW we're in Parkville :)

Logansdaddy, I would really hate to have to pay $700 for SWA to San Juan, but time will tell. Oh my, you live in Parkville, well we are really close, as I said I live in Gladstone (N. Oak Tfwy/Englewood rd.).:) Actually I could pay the fare (really don't want to), but it will be hard on my friend that is coming back this way first from Arizona, and then the two of us flying out together.

One thing I will be doing, just to make sure my flight/cruise is covered, taking out insurance to cover it.:) Since I have cruised several times (if only for flying, I don't), that insurance has come in handy a few times, but hopefully nothing happens this time.;)