HAL boarding pass printing issue - you're not going to believe this!

bluegiraffe

Turning off ad blockers/pop-ups is a good thing.

Debatable re: ad blockers depending on which side of the equation you are on. Turning off pop-ups is never a good idea. You're telling people to change security settings and assuming they won't turn them off for every site, which could be dangerous.

Love to learn why HAL now has to explain how to fix what was previously not broken. Print meant print. Now it means take a tutorial to learn how to print. Bring back the snail mail boarding packet in the fake leather pouch. It was not that long ago, that is how you got your boarding documents.

And we always got the excursion booklet included in tthe travel wallet. Let's not forge t the big blue, round Mariners pin. And the nice, colored luggage tags that did not require an arts and crafts project.

Demanding we turn off ad-blockers to get documents we have already paid for is not an acceptable work-around.

I'm not sure that HAL demanded anything here. The site suggests turning off ad/pop-up blockers to help ensure a successful printing process (this is common on many websites by the way). Nothing sinister here that I can tell, and it worked fine for me, no problem.

And we always got the excursion booklet included in tthe travel wallet. Let's not forge t the big blue, round Mariners pin. And the nice, colored luggage tags that did not require an arts and crafts project.

:rolleyes:Some on here fetishise "the good old days" :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:Some on here fetishise "the good old days" :rolleyes:

Fetish? That was unnecessary. Nothing wrong with liking the good old days when you got your printed documents for free with some dignity and formality, instead of being told it will cost you $25 if we print them out for you. And less than 10 years ago when HAL did this, is hardly "the good old days". Know your audience better when you pass out your gratuitous insults.

I'm not sure that HAL demanded anything here. The site suggests turning off ad/pop-up blockers to help ensure a successful printing process (this is common on many websites by the way). Nothing sinister here that I can tell, and it worked fine for me, no problem.

If you can't print your documents without turning off your ad blocker, this is a demand. This is not a suggestion. It is a requirement. particularly when there were no problems printing them in the past. Nothing sinister was implied - insensitive to the paying passenger, you betcha.

Turning off ad blockers/pop-ups is a good thing.

I disagree. I look at annoying ads and popups as a bad thing. Adblock plus was the best thing I ever did for my websurfing pleasure. No more video ads, no more audio ads, no more flashing ads. No more popups. Popups and Flash are signs of a scuzzy website in my book.

Fetish? That was unnecessary. Nothing wrong with liking the good old days when you got your printed documents for free with some dignity and formality, instead of being told it will cost you $25 if we print them out for you. And less than 10 years ago when HAL did this, is hardly "the good old days". Know your audience better when you pass out your gratuitous insults.

Whining about how you didn't get nickeled and dimed to within an inch of your life.. oh-Kay.

Two weeks ago I tried to download all of the 'stuff', tickets, luggage tags etc. I tried and immediately gave up. I am not going to waste time on this stuff. I kept a note of the booking number and went to the pier. I didn't even need that! I told the porter. that's right the porter, that I had no papers etc. He have me a few blank baggage labels. Filled them in and attached. Next person had a manifest. Showed my passport. He found my name and I was sent to the embarkation label. Walked right through the security, two seconds, and straight to the check in counter. They took passport, showed the creditcard, handed my keycard and I was finished. From taxi to cabin was 15 minutes, Maximium! Probably one of the easiest boarding I've seen.

Leaving the ship in Bermuda my disembarkation was a breeze too. Ship was sailing at 4pm. At 3pm I took to the gangway and straight to the terminal. The port agent came out just before 3.15. The sailing time was moved to 3.30 as all paz were on board. My suitcase in the agent's car and I was back in my house in less than 15 minutes. Easy... the agent is my nephew. ;-)

My only regret was getting off in Bermuda. I should have stayed on board for the rest of the crossing..

Stephen

+1

O course, I am in full agreement I found it quite insulting, again.

I woud l enjoy reading her guess for how old she thin ks we 'old t imers' really are. These repetitive posts say much a about poster but little, accurate info about those of us imp;lied to be older than dirt. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Great you had no pro blem but not so great for those who have had a problem.

I just received an e-mail from HAL stating that our Express documents were available for printing. I went into the check in section and selected my husband first and printed out his documents. I then went back into the system and selected myself and printed out my documents. Hopefully, the system is working now for those that have experienced previous problems.

Have tried Control P to see if it'll print?

Maybe you can try using the Snipping Tool and snip the screen and copy and then paste it into Word. You should be able to then print from Word.

Sorry to hear about the glich. Very frustrating.

I can't even get through the online forms this afternoon. It repeatedly is making me re-enter data. Then I can't get past the ACCOUNT screen. Attempting to CHAT is connecting to a bot I suspect. Told me to log out then back in. No change. Luckily I have time. I did add hollandamerica.com to the AdBlocker White list and disable Chrome's pop-up blockers but none of that helped. I guess I'll just try again and if that doesn't work I'll try calling someone. It was never this much trouble in the past (and I have no fetish about the good old days, you know, when everything was black and white and Walter read the news each night...).

I can't even get through the online forms this afternoon. It repeatedly is making me re-enter data. Then I can't get past the ACCOUNT screen. Attempting to CHAT is connecting to a bot I suspect. Told me to log out then back in. No change. Luckily I have time. I did add hollandamerica.com to the AdBlocker White list and disable Chrome's pop-up blockers but none of that helped. I guess I'll just try again and if that doesn't work I'll try calling someone. It was never this much trouble in the past (and I have no fetish about the good old days, you know, when everything was black and white and Walter read the news each night...).

Thanks for your report. Your "good old days" like the rest of us were just a few months ago. What old fogies we are now.

Two weeks ago I tried to download all of the 'stuff', tickets, luggage tags etc. I tried and immediately gave up. I am not going to waste time on this stuff. I kept a note of the booking number and went to the pier. I didn't even need that! I told the porter. that's right the porter, that I had no papers etc. He have me a few blank baggage labels. Filled them in and attached. Next person had a manifest. Showed my passport. He found my name and I was sent to the embarkation label. Walked right through the security, two seconds, and straight to the check in counter. They took passport, showed the creditcard, handed my keycard and I was finished. From taxi to cabin was 15 minutes, Maximium! Probably one of the easiest boarding I've seen.

Leaving the ship in Bermuda my disembarkation was a breeze too. Ship was sailing at 4pm. At 3pm I took to the gangway and straight to the terminal. The port agent came out just before 3.15. The sailing time was moved to 3.30 as all paz were on board. My suitcase in the agent's car and I was back in my house in less than 15 minutes. Easy... the agent is my nephew. ;-)

My only regret was getting off in Bermuda. I should have stayed on board for the rest of the crossing..

Stephen

I don't claim to know everything about computers,and even I get frustrated at times..but faced with the challenge of not being able to print documents out,it's good to know that it's not necessarily necessary.

I don't claim to know everything about computers,and even I get frustrated at times..but faced with the challenge of not being able to print documents out,it's good to know that it's not necessarily necessary.

Maybe printing the documents is more necessary for some people than for others.

:) It helps to be Captain Card. :)

Stephen, Welcome back. You have been missed but Ihope you had a most enjoyable time at sea.

As usual,,,,,,,,,,,, it seems, " it is not what we know b ut WHO we know. :)

Good to see you posting again.

Edited by sail7seas

Topsham/Stephen:I've seen your art on HAL ships-indeed I would consider you HAL's go to person for paintings of the ships. Getting perks is part of the job(and if it isn't-officially or otherwise-it should be.)

I t goes a bit further than that.

Stephen commented his nephew is Port Agent in Bermuda. :)