Need info on Juneau helicopter tours

wfgoode

We are planning on purchasing a Juneau helicopter/glacier tour for our adult son. We will all be on the 14 day HAL cruise in June. We want to do this as a ship’s shore excursion. Looking at the choices it is hard to tell the difference (except the price). He is unable to do a difficult or lengthy walk. He’s never seen a glacier or been in a helicopter. Any help with information or suggestions for this once in a lifetime experience will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

We are planning on purchasing a Juneau helicopter/glacier tour for our adult son. We will all be on the 14 day HAL cruise in June. We want to do this as a ship’s shore excursion. Looking at the choices it is hard to tell the difference (except the price). He is unable to do a difficult or lengthy walk. He’s never seen a glacier or been in a helicopter. Any help with information or suggestions for this once in a lifetime experience will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

The difference in prices is based on how long you will be walking on the glacier. My lower-priced excursion through HAL was at most a 100 yard walk with no climbing as the longer treks encounter. This was definitely one of my favorite excursions, right up there with dog sledding in the snow in Skagway.

Here is my photo review of my time on Mendenhall Glacier:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau-2/mendenhall-glacier-walk/

Enjoy your cruise planning.

There are only a few helicopter operators in Juneau. Go to their web sites, check out their tours and see which would be the best fit for your son, then give them a call to ask about specifics.

The vendors I've heard of are ERA, Coastal, Temsco, Northstar Trekking. (You might find other vendors in the Juneau Visitor guide )

Thanks all. I’ll check out Coastal. We’re going in June on the Zaandam. Hope you don’t mind if I pick your brains again.

I will be on the Zaandam before you, so keep an eye out for my "Live from the Zaandam" thread on the HAL Forum where I will be answering posed questions.

We flew to Herbert Glacier with Coastal Helicopters a couple years ago. I think the pilot did a great job with our flight - I've flown on helicopters several times before and this was the smoothest flight I've experienced. The pilot lifted straight up then started moving forward without tilting the helicopter. He landed in the same manner. For someone nervous about flying in a helicopter this is probably the best way of doing it. Our pilot also did a nice job of telling where we were, what to look at and some glacier trivia. I assumed we would only be allowed to walk around close to the helicopter but we went where we wanted. I think we were on the glacier for about 30 minutes or so - it seemed longer and it also seemed like plenty of time - we weren't rushed. I have recommended Coastal Helicopters a number of times. I believe we saved enough booking directly with them (instead of through the cruise line) that we were able to pay for our dinner in Juneau that evening.

Note: While on the trip you're not allowed to take any sort of purse, bag or container. You can take you camera and such but everything must fit in your hands, around your neck or in a pocket.

It's a very cool and interesting excursion! Good Luck!

27599573552_f10c3c1512_b.jpg

27623386291_1f489d01fa_b.jpg

27085411664_8e15b687e2_b.jpg

27085544734_2fbc2d0b06_b.jpg

27087719863_f63d363ae3_b.jpg

27663933516_2cd10aef2d_b.jpg

Thank you for the in-copter pictures. My wife and I can both get claustrophobic and are a bit worried about our tour with Coastal. The pictures don't help in the 'worrying' department, but at least we now have a good idea of what to expect! lol

We have a tour with them booked for 7 people. so we'll be spread out in 2 copters.

Thank you for the in-copter pictures. My wife and I can both get claustrophobic and are a bit worried about our tour with Coastal. The pictures don't help in the 'worrying' department, but at least we now have a good idea of what to expect! lol

We have a tour with them booked for 7 people. so we'll be spread out in 2 copters.

My DW is a little "uneasy" about a helicopter...I have told her not to worry, I flew in many, MANY helicopters while in the Army - their TOs and landings were probably a tad more dramatic than you will experience :D

I'm certain you will be just fine. Sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery! :D