Anyone ever bring an air mattress for an extra bed? Or suggestions for sleeping 4 in

moongal

We decided to book a last minute cruise for our family of 4. The only room choices left were inside or a grand suite. We chose the grand suite because with 4 of us (adult sized...husband,myself, 19 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter) we figured we would have more space with the grand suite.

The sleeping arrangements for the grand suite are king or 2 twins and 1 full size sleeper sofa. So we opted for 2 twins for the guys and daughter and myself will share the full size sleeper sofa. My daughter is not too crazy about this as I tend to sprawl my arms when I sleep. Pretty much we would all prefer our own bed.

If I brought an air mattress would that be allowed? I have a nice twin size air bed that just plugs in to inflate. But since I have never stayed in a grand suite before I don’t know if there would be room for the mattress? Especially with the sofa pulled out and turned into a bed.

Anyone who has ever stayed in a suite think there would be room for this?

Has anyone ever done this ?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The inside would have had two upper bunks you and your daughter could have had your own bed.

IDK, I wouldnt want to lug a air mattress, they are heavy. But I dont know why it wouldnt be allowed.

You might ask your cabin steward if he has a rollaway, dont know if they did away with these on your ship ... they used to have a few on each ship. (with a tip of course).

Upper bunks scare me! Lol. Plus I reeeeeally love having a balcony and tend to be claustrophobic, which also helped to make the decision for the grand suite. Which I am really so excited to try! I’ve always wanted to try one. So even if the sleeping arrangements are less than ideal I am still excited to have the suite. And yes the mattress will be a pain to lug but I just don’t want to lug it for no reason if it won’t even fit. So if anyone out there has ever stayed in a Grand suite and has any opinions on whether or not a twin size air bed could fit (and be allowed....I didn’t see anything in the rules) I would love to hear opinions!

Hubby is big man. 6’4” 260 lbs and I’m not exactly tiny! I put me and daughter together because she is skinny and tiny.

Thanks for advice about rollaway or trundles. I didn’t know there was such a thing on a cruise ship! [emoji4]

Our Grand Suite had a pull out bed under the king bed and my friends who were booked in a 3 person suite moved someone in their room ( booked in a dif room) and asked for a rollaway and got one. This was on Sensation

The only real problem I can see is that the air mattress might hinder your cabin steward during his daily cleaning. Carnival may suggest it be removed each morning for that reason. If you were planning on putting it away during the day already, then ignore my thoughts. Hope you figure something out that works well for all concerned... happy cruising. :-)

We had a rollaway on the fantasy years ago. Also Both my daughters brought on porta crib's and nobody said anything and they were big and awkward to carry. An air mattress should be no problem just make sure you get one that has the automatic fill up. Makes it easier to put it out of the way every day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’d put the air mattress in a rolling suitcase and bring just in case you can’t get a rollaway. I’ve managed to squeeze one into some pretty small hotel rooms for teenagers who won’t share a bed. They’re easy enough to deflate and put away during the day.

I recently bought an air mattress on Amazon: Intex Deluxe, it inflates in 3 minutes to a twin size bed (39X75....18" high) and is light as a feather. It comes in a tote bag and when deflated, it actually fits back in the bag..lol ( $40.00 ) I was told that it was very comfortable.

I had to move it around several times but it props nicely against a wall when not in use. If needed, I would take it on a cruise and it would fit in a Grand Suite without a problem.

Enjoy!

Having just been in your shoes and concerned - FYI the "Double Pull out Sofa" is a KING sized sleeping surface.

I was trying to find information on the double sofa beds in the ocean suites on the Dream. Is that the type of sofa you are saying is equivelant to a king?

Once the sofa is made up into a double bed there really isn't much floor space available for a rollaway or an air mattress. Not all ships have rollaway beds available. We've had a grand suite several times with 3 of us and with the sofa made into a bed all the time, it was a pain. We asked the stewards to put it back to a sofa during the day, but they declined to do so.

We made the decision that if we ever travel again with 3 or 4 people we will get 2 cabins. That way everyone gets a bed and it is much better to have 2 bathrooms.