Viking Alaska

sleepybobo

I’m planning a cruise to Alaska in 2020. I sailed with Viking to the Adriatic Sea last year and loved it. I’ve booked a sailing to the Baltic Sea with Viking again next year.

I have a sticker shock when I see the price of Viking’s Alaska itinerary. It seems to be more more expensive than other cruise lines.

I don’t mind paying more for better experience. In reality, I got good value for what I paid for my Viking cruise last year.

However, Viking’s itineraries in the America’s (Alaska, north eastern US/Canada, the Caribbean’s) just seem so much more expensive than say Celebrity’s.

Also, Viking seems to be new player in the Americas. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are booked to Alaska in 2019 on Orion. I’ve been on a few Caribbean cruises on other lines and don’t see a lot of price difference between them and Viking when you do the math. Does Celebrity give you free airfare? Do they give you free excursions, wine and beer at lunch, a balcony for everyone, spa access, included specialty dining, etc.? Most of what Viking includes can get pretty expensive on other lines. Have you ever priced Disney? Looking forward to my first VO cruise.

Now compare a Celebrity Alaska cruise to a Viking one (which was my initial post). Margin gets much narrower. On Celebrity: Balcony x 2 = $4220, flight from Fla to Vancouver = $1300, excursions at 5 ports = $1,000 (conservative $200 each port), internet = $300. Don’t know their fees for specialty restaurants or wine/beer at lunch and dinner. The OP addressed Alaska cruises and that’s what I responded to. But the best part is: Sailing on 900 passenger Viking and NOT on a mega ship = PRICELESS.

Gotta admit I looked at the prices and decided on Silversea 2019 as less expensive. 600 passenger new ship. Tips included. No Silver Spirits extra package, as all drinks included for everyone. They're also very experienced guiding tours in the area. Viking will probably hire some of the same guide tours as they develop a presence.

I booked a 2019 Alaska cruise on Orion, but it was when they were offering free air, and still allowed TA to discount the prices. Comparing prices now, I'm not sure I would book Viking. As philw1776 said, Silversea was the line I used for comparing, not a large mega ship.

• 10 months later...

Thanks for all the above inputs.  I haven't been looking into this almost a year after my original post.  Life gets in the way.

I'm still thinking about Alaska, but in 2021, instead of 2020.  I don't think Viking has the 2021 Alaska itineraries available yet.  

Missymssy - how do you like your Alaska cruise on Orion?

1 hour ago, sleepybobo said:

Thanks for all the above inputs.  I haven't been looking into this almost a year after my original post.  Life gets in the way.

I'm still thinking about Alaska, but in 2021, instead of 2020.  I don't think Viking has the 2021 Alaska itineraries available yet.  

Missymssy - how do you like your Alaska cruise on Orion?

The first Alaska cruise doesnt start until May 26th. 

I originally was going to book on Celebrity because of the "sticker price" but... really ... when we talked about excursions, transfers, flights, specialty restaurants.... PLUS... it's an 11 day cruise vs 7 days... we decided on Viking.  Such a fantastic experience... great ship....excellent service... and  not 3000 people on board!

You will also enjoy the improved scenery of the Inside Passage rather heading up Hecate Strait with no scenery. Other than local ferries, I believe Viking will be one of the few Lines using this route.

• Like 1