Tell me about the FOOD

emory2001

Yes, it's Guy Fieri. Going to the steakhouse on the first night, you used to get a free bottle of wine. If that is still the case, that is the best night to go.

Yes, free bottle or 50% off a bottle of wine. Glory allowed us to get more than two bottles at 50% off that first night. I've heard others ships are strict about 1 bottle per couple at a discount or free.

Yes, it's Guy Fieri. Going to the steakhouse on the first night, you used to get a free bottle of wine. If that is still the case, that is the best night to go.

The first night is usually the best night to go to the steakhouse. You do get a free bottle of wine. But, if that's not important to you, the first night is still usually the best choice. It's not very crowded if you go early (around 6:00). The sea bass is excellent! The surf & turf is also very good. Go hungry so you'll have room for dessert. The desserts are too good to pass up.

Thank you for all the tips and food mentions! It sounds very comparable to RC. Are the "Guy" burgers Guy Fieri? I loved his burgers at Planet Hollywood. I also enjoy when there's Indian food on a cruise - it's one of my favorites. Sea Day Brunch sounds fab - I haven't had anything like that before. I also enjoy trying one upcharge restaurant, so we'll probably do that.

Is there a particular night you recommend doing the upcharge restaurant? Like a particular menu night that's not great in the MDR? Or just pick any night?

Guy's burgers in Vegas are nothing like the cruise ship, don't get your hopes up. Guy loves thick, medium rare burgers, the cruise ship smashes the burgers to death. They are well done and have no flavor unless you load it up with his toppings bar.

I love sailing Royal I have an upcoming 2018 cruise on Anthem and have sailed both the Allure and Oasis. I have 3 Carnival cruises under my belt and have 2 future cruise- Vista in 2019, Panorama in 2020 so I am a fan of both lines.

My impressions- main dining is comparable but I have to give the edge to Carnival (I am not a fan of the melting cake although I have a son that swears by it.)

I prefer the RCCL buffet. Not overly impressed with Carnivals.

I prefer Carnivals other free offerings that aren’t part of the buffet- Guys, Blue Iguana, Pizza, pasta, etc to the free non-buffet offerings at RCCL.

As for Specialty Dining. I like both- Carnivals is more reasonably priced though.

Sushi- I prefer Carnivals Bonsai to Royals Izumi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruise both!! I have favorites on both. I LOVE being able to get food by the pool so Guys & Blue Iguana. You will find favorites in the MDR and buffet as well. I have things from both I love that the other does not have..BUT the pool area foods I mentioned above are my favorite Carnival items

that Royal does not have!!!! OH and the candy shop LOL!!!!! ( The candy shop probably does not count as food...but it is fun to go there and get little bags of candy) So for me there a few more choices. As for the food at the restaurants and MDR and Buffet...you can always find something good!! This was a great question by the way!!! I have loved reading the responses!

Is Guys Burger place really that good? I see people rave about it on here. Can you compare it to a burger chain in the U.S ?

It is the fries that do it for me!!! They are real..not like a fast food place. Maybe the burgers are like a 5 Guys if you have those...but a lot more toppings to choose from!! And again...the FRIES....lol

Is there a particular night you recommend doing the upcharge restaurant? Like a particular menu night that's not great in the MDR? Or just pick any night?

The last night.....can't think of a better way to end your cruise.

Going to go on a cruise at the end of the week-hoping that Carnival still has- the following desserts on the Lido- Cherry Napoleons and Paris Brest (mocha) OMG! I could eat 20 of them (but being diabetic I am not allowed to).

DH is on chemo and doesn't have much of an appetite, but we both love sharing a 4 cheese pizza.

Not a fan of Guys Burgers. Do you remember on the Rosanne show about the loose burger? That is what they remind me of, and if you order from their menu the staff seemed put out to do a bit more work to give you a burger. Not a fan of the Blue Iguana either, way too salty.

But I never starve, I like to make my own salads, love the carving stations, and I do want to try the new 7 day menu. We do love the Vegetarian Indian plate. We used to order that along with a regular entrée, so that we could try it and share it with the table. Since it is just the two of us this time, we may not do that, but order it as our main entrée. And remember, if you don't like it, ask your waiter for something else. Another reason I love Carnival!

Long-time Royal Caribbean cruiser excited to take first Carnival cruise this fall. Tell me about the food. I find cruise food to be hit or miss. I know there's some dessert that's not to be missed, but what else - at buffet, main dining room, other restaurants. I'll be on Liberty.

I'd rate the free food quality as exactly the same on both lines.

IMO, Carnival's Steakhouse is better than RCI's Chops Grill. On the other hand, I think RCI has the better buffet....meaning, more choices.