Boarding Time Question

Usually we arrive around 11:30AM for suite boarding but for our 5/13/18 Koningsdam cruise we received an email telling us to arrive at 1PM. Is this something new?
Yes. So far I've only heard of it being done on the K-dam and some ships out of Seattle. As I understand it, it's not being enforced, so right now it's a suggestion that HAL hopes people will listen to. And since you're in a Neptune you can arrive any time after 11:00 or so.

I know you're not boarding in the US, but if you get such a notice for boarding a ship upon it's first arrival in the US after being out of the country a few months I would pay it more heed because mandatory USCG and CDC inspections can delay boarding in that case.

Edited by catl331

The 1pm thing has been standard for years. It was a request, not a requirement.
That 1:00 was always on the boarding pass but I never received an email about it, so I jumped to the conclusion that OP was talking about the staggered boarding. Which is it OP? Did the email talk about different times for different decks?

The email had staggered times, boarding by deck. We’ve been away from Holland America for a bit and this was new to us.

OK. That is standard for KDAM. Doesn't apply to you as you are in a Neptune Suite. You will be able to board between 11:30 and noon.

I just received a similar email for the Nieuw Amsterdam. HAL is trying to minimize congestion at checkin by staggering checkin times, but they don’t enforce it. If you arrive earlier, you’ll just get into the next available boarding group, unless you’re fortunate enough to be a priority passenger (suite guests and four/five star Mariners). Then you’re in the first boarding group!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK. That is standard for KDAM. Doesn't apply to you as you are in a Neptune Suite. You will be able to board between 11:30 and noon.

Instead of assigning times to NS and 4-5 star Mariners, they should put a note that says "any time after 11:30" or something like that. We always seem to get 1:00, despite being 4 star and usually in a NS. Does anyone get a suggested or assigned time before 1:00?

I just received a similar email for the Nieuw Amsterdam. HAL is trying to minimize congestion at checkin by staggering checkin times, but they don’t enforce it. If you arrive earlier, you’ll just get into the next available boarding group, unless you’re fortunate enough to be a priority passenger (suite guests and four/five star Mariners). Then you’re in the first boarding group!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, absolutely this. I have posted on this forum before how HAL did the same thing to us last year for our Eurodam cruise from Seattle. We arrived at 11 am anyway, and this is what we encountered at that time:

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/img_0013.jpg

The bottom line is that the process was smooth, and we were on the ship, had dropped off our bags in our cabin, and were in the main dining room for lunch by noon. HAL is hoping that enough passengers will "obey" their request for the staggered check-in times, and alleviate some of the initial congestion. However, if you want to enjoy lunch in the main dining room (they stop serving there at 1 or 1:30pm, it varies), get a head start on booking your spa and dining appointments or purchasing wine and liquor packages, or just enjoy the ship, you will miss out by showing up after 1pm.

Yes, absolutely this. I have posted on this forum before how HAL did the same thing to us last year for our Eurodam cruise from Seattle. We arrived at 11 am anyway, and this is what we encountered at that time:

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/img_0013.jpg

Looks like a normal HAL embarkation. Like being in the service: Hurry up and wait.

Received a staggered boarding time email for my Zaandam cruise, May 20. Neptune Suites and 4/5-Star Mariners are asked to board anytime after 12:30 PM. The latest boarding deck is 2:30 PM which means the Lido Market will be closed.

I will be at the terminal at 11:00 AM and see what happens.