Review: Viking Sea West Indies Explorer - March 17, 2018

Cyber Kat

I don't see many reviews on the Viking boards - river or ocean, like the ones on other boards, so I'm going to attempt one. I've done reviews before, but sometimes I don't finish them - but I'm going to try - I hope you'll forgive me. I do have lots of photos!

We booked this cruise not long after we did our first Viking cruise in August of 2016 - a river cruise, the Rhine Getaway. We loved it so much, we knew we wanted more Viking.

The itinerary for this cruise was originally: San Juan, Tortola, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Martin/Maarten, St Thomas, then back to San Juan.

The back to back hurricanes last fall, Irma & Maria, did a number on quite a few of the ports, so there were long periods of wondering whether the cruise would go on, and which ports we would visit. As the time got closer, things began to settled down and it looked like we would go ahead with just some minor itinerary changes.

We finally ended up with: San Juan, St Croix, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Martin/Maarten, St Thomas, then back to San Juan. Tortola was off the list. I was disappointed because I'd hoped to go over to Jost Van Dyke and visit the Soggy Dollar Bar, but it was not to be. We had St Croix instead. I'll live!

Since the ship was going to be in San Juan overnight, we decided not to do a Viking extension, but we did want to fly down ahead of time. The price for the Viking air when we booked was $45pp - a bargain. We paid the deviation fee of $100 to fly in the day before the cruise. Viking's standard is to fly you in the day of unless you do an extension with them. I don't like taking the chance.

I asked about Viking Air Plus - which is the only way to do Viking Air, IMO. If you don't, you end up with whatever flights they can book at discount prices with their air partners. Sometimes that means, odd hours, strangely configured itineraries and several stops stuck in the cheapest coach seats. They said it was not available for this cruise because there were limited flights. NYC to Puerto Rico? Limited flights? I don't think so!

I did some digging around and I found a direct, non-stop flight from JFK to San Juan on Delta (our preferred carrier at the moment) - actually, I found several. I selected Delta Comfort going to San Juan, but Delta Comfort was sold out for the return flight. The Delta site showed we could do Delta business/first for only $50pp more - SOLD!

I called Viking to cancel the air - no problem. I got a refund of the $45 pp plus the $100 deviation fee, then the rep asked me to hold on while she checked something. When she came back, she said there was an air allowance, so I ended up getting back a total of $679. I have no idea what this "air allowance" was, but my mother always said, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!" If you are canceling Viking Air - ask about the air allowance. Can't hurt!

Next up was booking the hotel. I'd visited The Hotel El Convento in Old San Juan with my sister a number of years ago and I decided that's where I wanted to stay if I ever had the opportunity. I tried to book on their web site, but they have a 2 night limit. I emailed their contact address and asked if we could do one night - they said yes! They do require 1 night deposit (refundable if I cancelled 24 hours before), so basically I paid for the room ahead.

p2839395782-3.jpg

Then came the hurricanes! I was able to get in touch with them and they said, they had minimal damage and would be open no problem. By March most of Old San Juan had power and water. Sadly, the rest of Puerto Rico does not.

On to booking the shore excursions...

For those who don't know, Viking Ocean has a different (and somewhat controversial) way of handling shore excursion reservations and dining reservations for the specialty/alternative restaurants - Manfredi's and the Chef's Table. The higher categories (read more expensive) cabins get priority starting with the Explorer Suites at 97 days prior to embarkation and ending with the Standard Veranda at 60 days (with no advance dinner reservations). We were booked in a Deluxe Veranda - so we were at 67 days (with 60 for dinner reservations)

The reservation period opens up at midnight CA time (because their offices are located there), which meant that I had to get up at 3am Eastern time, to do it. I set my alarm, used my iPad, then went back to sleep. I got all the times and shore excursions I wanted, except the St Kitts Railway - which I'll get to shortly.

Yes we could have booked independently, but the prices for the Viking optional excursions aren't too bad, and the less stress the better. I'd just rather go through the ship, than have to worry about all the details, finding what we want, booking, checking their refund policy if the ship doesn't make the port, finding where the guide or ride will be in a strange port. No thanks.

There has been much written about this whole process. Much weeping and gnashing of teeth. A lot of people complain that they don't get ones they want because they are sold out. I knew all of this when I picked the cabin and I can't say I have any major objection to it. I think I'm at an age where I pick my battles carefully, and more often go with the flow. I did learn that once you are on board the ship - everything is flexible, and they rarely say no. They will do everything they can to accommodate you.

The St Kitts Railway saga! There were no excursions listed at all for St Kitts - neither included, nor optional. I kept calling Viking to find out what was happening, and everyone said, "hurricane damage." Nope - St Kitts was not really affected at all. Multiple phone calls and emails - still no answer. Finally someone in our roll call posted that the St Kitts excursions were up! I went in, saw it and booked it!

Few days later, I'm looking at the calendar and I see that the excursion ends at 5pm and the ship is scheduled to sail at 4:30pm. Ruh roh! I posted on the Viking Facebook page and asked if a long swim was included in the excursion. More phone calls and emails. "Don't worry," they said. "We won't leave you," they said. Okay - but I did kind of worry - worry that they would cancel it!

So we were starting to get all the ducks in a row. We had 22 registered for our Cruise Critic-Viking sponsored Meet & Mingle. Good to go with that. I had started getting things read to pack and go, with one eye on the weather because March decided to be a lion all month long and a grumpy one at that.

One last bit before we get to actually setting out on our way. About a week before, I get an email asking if we wanted to upgrade to a Penthouse Veranda for $200 each. A pretty good price. I think a lot of people cancelled because of the uncertainty with the hurricanes. I asked my husband and he asked, "Do we get booze in the mini bar?" I said, "yes," he said. "book it!" I called and asked what rooms they had and there was one just 1 deck above where we were - pretty much the same location. We made the switch!

Coming up next - we're off!

And we're off!

March 16th came with a decent forecast and we got up at the crack of dawn to head for JFK. I prefer Newark - it's a short 45 minute hop unless it's rush hour, but United really has a lock on that airport, so if we wanted Delta, JFK was the place to be.

We booked a airport car service, and the driver arrived promptly at 5am for our 8:15 flight - ugh. I was still kind of asleep and only excitement was keeping me awake. I did the online check in and I have the Delta app, so we were set. I had also printed out the paperwork just in case.

We are not familiar at all with JFK - as I said, we've been using EWR for years - so we were not sure where to go. Took a few minutes to get orientated, but then everything was easy peasy. We have Global Entry, so we also get TSA pre-check - very nice.

JFK is super organized and automated with the bins for your bags. They are under the roller thing and just keep popping out like the next food item at an automat (no one under 60 probably has a clue what that means)

We had no problem finding the gate, and we got comfy to wait for the flight. I got a donut and a cup of coffee from the Dunkin Donuts kiosk. We were getting snacks on the flight, but I wanted something to help keep me awake.

We had priority boarding with Delta Comfort, so that was nice. The flight was on time, fairly smooth and the snacks were tasty. Loved the cookies. We also got free booze so I got champagne (prosecco, actually) and orange juice and made a mimosa. I watched a movie - don't remember which one - Geostorm, I think.

Coming in for a landing, you could see all the blue tarps - so sad. And another hurricane season is right around the corner. How do you weather a storm under a tarp.

p2839382746-3.jpg

p2839383235-3.jpg

p2839383552-3.jpg

Landed, found the baggage carousel and only had to wait a bit. Delta Comfort also gets you priority luggage handling, so our bags showed up quickly. I'd heard that they have a great system for taxis (here actually on CC). We got in the line. A guy asked where we were going. I told him Hotel El Convento, he said $25 and gave us a paper. We got to the head of the line. Another guy took the paper and directed us to the cab. Easy peasy!

Chatted with the driver a bit and he told us he still doesn't have electricity. His area was supposed get it back that week, but many of the workers who had come from the mainland, headed back home to help out because of the snow storms and nor'easters we were getting.

Took about 45 minutes to an hour from the airport to the hotel. They had people greeting guests by the door and they whisked us inside. It was only about 1pm and the room wasn't ready. Check in is at 3pm. So we asked if we could leave the luggage while we did a little touring.

We decided to walk up to the San Cristobal Fort because we were scheduled to go to El Morrow on the Viking walking tour. Could have used a crystal ball or a fortune teller on this decision. More on this later.

p2839388504-3.jpg

p2839386965-3.jpg

We had a nice time at the fort. The views were awesome. But it was hot, and I'd forgotten to take out my sunscreen so we headed back.

The room still wasn't ready, so we had a sangria (their sangria is the BEST) at the bar. Well, I had a sangria, my husband had a cerveza - beer in Spanish. They came to get us shortly, and we headed up to the room. I'd wanted an water view room, but the price over the city view was a lot. The rooms are pricey to start out with, so I decided I could live without it. They upgraded us to water view and the view was fantastic.

p2839388838-3.jpg

I was at 6 photos (the limit), so I need a new post.

Couple more views from the fort ...

Cruise port that Carnival uses. We were at one over to the right further

p2839387318-3.jpg

p2839387061-3.jpg

p2839388155-3.jpg

Clean room comfy bed, nice bathroom. I was happy. The rooms all open up off a courtyard with a loggia - I think that's the right term. You can open the door to your room and close over a glass door so you can see out or sit outside and see in.

Some photos from the hotel - our room

p2839389106-3.jpg

The courtyard

p2839390077-3.jpg

They have a wine and cheese reception at 6pm, which was lovely. After that we went down for dinner. Don't know what was going on. There was no hostess, so we just sat at an empty table. I think there was no one covering that section, though there were others seated in the area. Service was slow.

I'd hoped for some local food - they showed the menu online, but there wasn't anything like that. It was too late to go somewhere else, so we just had burgers - which were good. And more sangria - which fixes a lot of things!

p2839388830-3.jpg

March 17th, St Patricks Day!

We slept well and woke up rested from our early departure. They had a nice breakfast menu - I checked. So we went down to the courtyard and I had a lovely continental breakfast. My husband isn't big on breakfast, so he had one of my muffins and fresh squeezed orange juice. The coffee was really good.

p2839389101-3.jpg

I don't take many food pics, so take advantage when I do!

p2839389468-3.jpg

Small pool on the hotel roof

p2839390414-3.jpg

Someone got married that morning and the were taking photos in the alley next to the hotel

p2839396604-3.jpg

Couple more hotel pics before we head out

Wine & cheese was set up here, and also coffee, tea and fruit in the morning

p2839391553-3.jpg

We got everything together and checked out about 10:30am. They got us a cab and off we went for our first look at the Viking Sea and the official start of our journey.

Stay tuned!

We've just booked our first Viking Ocean cruise for this itinerary for February of 2020, so I'm so excited to continue reading all of your experiences.

We're also booked for our third Viking River cruise for May of 2019 and we really like the Viking business model. If their Ocean voyages are half as nice as their River voyages, then our trip to the Caribbean will be fantastic.

As you can see from my signature detail, we've been sailing mostly on NCL with their wonderful Haven experience, but I want to try something different and I'm hoping that Viking will not only be different but a better over all experience.:cool::cool:

I can see the ship! She looks so fine!

Our driver lets us off and there were porters waiting. We had the wrong tags because we changed rooms with the upgrade, so he took the ones we had off (I had hand written the new number) and gave us new blank ones on which he wrote the new number. They were white, so they would be noticed. He was really nice, he walked with us nearly all the way to the check in area! We gave him a nice tip!

p2839406422-3.jpg

There is a brief carry on bag/purse check just inside the gate. It's manual - they just look inside, and then we were wanded. Our Porter walked with us inside the terminal until he had to go one way, and we went the other. He was very helpful.

Viking had tables set up around a large room. There was a person to direct you to the next free table, but there was no waiting. The Viking people at the tables, used the tour guide lollipops to indicate they were free!

We showed our ID/passports and they gave us our cards. We had been told that we needed the book, but they didn't even look at it. Do bring yours just in case. Oh and we had to sign the health letter - no form to fill out like other cruise lines I've been on. Just read it and agree.

From there, we walked the Viking Red Carpet up to the ship, sanitized our hands (those things were everywhere - more in a minute) and walked up the gangway. Inside, we put our carryons through security and were met on the other side by smiling Viking staff with flutes of champagne. That was it - no lines, no waiting, no hassles, no crowds, no crying babies and champagne. So very civilized!

Sorry - I didn't take any photos during this process because we were just hurrying right along!

In most ports Viking departs from I think you can board at 11am. Rooms are ready on a sliding scale, depending on cabin category, from noon to 3pm. Our room was going to be ready at 1pm. We headed to the World Cafe on Deck 7 for some lunch. Plenty of tables. No lines for anything except Gelato - and there were always people around the Gelato station - it is so good.

This the Aquavit Terrace - we spent a lot of time here

p2839398347-3.jpg

This is the port terminal building from the aft of the ship where the Aquavit Terrace is

p2839397648-3.jpg

This was "our" table

p2839486456-3.jpg

Inside the World Cafe

p2839485425-3.jpg

I could have sworn I took photos of the food set up, but I guess I didn't. It's a standard buffet, but you don't start at the beginning and walk all the way through. You can kind of look around and see what you want. There are some different things and some things the same on both sides - so check both. (see below)

The nice thing is, is that there are stations, so you can walk up to a station instead of waiting for other people, you just have to wait for those at the station - like the pasta station, the carving station, the sandwich station. In the morning there is an omelet station and a waffle station. It's great.

This is the bar at the aft of the food area

p2839484677-3.jpg

You get beer and wines (kind of a wine of the day - one red, one white) during lunch and dinner times included in your fare. This is the whole time they are serving - not just during your meal. It also includes soft drinks. We got the Silver Spirits Beverage Package (which includes any drink up to a $15 per glass cost). It was $20 pp per day - both people have to take it. We felt it was worth it. Others were happy with the included beverages.

At the World Cafe, like on other areas of the ship, there is a lot of attention to detail and service. Though it is a buffet, you don’t have to juggle plates and drinks. Get your food, sit down and they will ask what you want to drink and bring it to you. They sometimes even offer to carry your plate.

At the hot food stations, you can ask for a warm plate. For breakfast, they have an egg station on both sides, but remember waffles only on the right (sticky buns on the left)

Gelato only on the right side as you enter. Pizza on the left. They have cheese, meats, cold and hot cereal, Asian breakfast offerings like rice, British offerings like back bacon and beans, the egg station, potato of the day and hash brown patties, and pancakes. Lots of yummy baked goods - mostly the same every day, but things like the danishes change. Always plain croissants, chocolate croissants, bagels, raisin rolls, fabulous breads with accompaniment.

Lunch varied pretty much every day. There is a sandwich of the day at the end of the salads. Made to order Cesar salad, mixed greens with a variety of things to add. Four dressings. I remember Balsamic, Blue Cheese, I think Thousand Island and Italian. They will serve salad items and dressing so you don’t have to reach.

There was soup of the day, a number of hot offerings, a made to order pasta, carved meat of the day and a wonderful selection of desserts and cookies in addition to the Gelato. We didn’t manage to eat dinner there. We missed the seafood buffet because we had reservations at the Chefs Table - I wish we had, but our Chef's Table experience was great!

I've got some things to do - up next our room ... I'll leave you to digest the food!

I agree. The porter was so helpful. And we did tip him well, part of my post hurricane contribution.The San Juan embarkation was the easiest I have ever experienced at any pier. No lines, just get your ship card and walk on to the ship.

We did eat one night at the Wrold cafe. It was seafood night. It was so fresh , love the crab legs. They also have sushi every night at 5pm. Loved the bacon at breakfast. it is so crisp.

You pictures of the aft bring back great memories.

• Like 1

We've just booked our first Viking Ocean cruise for this itinerary for February of 2020, so I'm so excited to continue reading all of your experiences.

We're also booked for our third Viking River cruise for May of 2019 and we really like the Viking business model. If their Ocean voyages are half as nice as their River voyages, then our trip to the Caribbean will be fantastic.

As you can see from my signature detail, we've been sailing mostly on NCL with their wonderful Haven experience, but I want to try something different and I'm hoping that Viking will not only be different but a better over all experience.:cool::cool:

We loved our Viking River cruise as well, and booked the ocean cruise because of it. It did not disappoint and it surpassed our expectations. We booked another onboard and took the same cabin!

I've never been on NCL, so I can't compare. We are not really wild about the whole ship within a ship concept, because in the end, you are still on a big ship with a lot of people. The Viking sea never felt crowded except on the day we disembarked because everyone was in the Atrium for the most part. We had a late flight, so we were just hanging around after breakfast.

So glad you are doing a review, Cyber Kat!

I loved the El Convento. It was your posts last fall that got us to book at this amazing hotel.

Look forward to the rest of your review.

Thanks! We also loved El Convento! Did you get to the wine and cheese reception? It was lovely.

I agree. The porter was so helpful. And we did tip him well, part of my post hurricane contribution.The San Juan embarkation was the easiest I have ever experienced at any pier. No lines, just get your ship card and walk on to the ship.

We did eat one night at the Wrold cafe. It was seafood night. It was so fresh , love the crab legs. They also have sushi every night at 5pm. Loved the bacon at breakfast. it is so crisp.

You pictures of the aft bring back great memories.

I did get the sushi, but we only found one Chef's Table menu that we both liked and they were changing it, so it was Seafood night or not. The bacon was amazing!

Thanks! We also loved El Convento! Did you get to the wine and cheese reception? It was lovely.

Oh yes the hotel wine and cheese gathering was a nice touch. We met many fellow cruisers from our roll call and others who would be on the Viking Sea at the daily event.

I should mention one thing. I'm used to boarding a ship in the atrium, but I'm also used to boarding where they have those ramps. There were no ramps - just a little gangway like they often have in port. When you walk into the atrium for the first time you have that WOW factor. You don't quite get that walking into an elevator lobby. And the thing is that Viking has a KILLER atrium!

p2839477339-3.jpg

p2839506152-3.jpg

Lobby Bar aka Living Room Bar. If you look just past the guy, there is a refrigerated cabinet with goodies - all kinds of goodies.

p2839691198-3.jpg

This is me at the Living Room Bar - if you are interested!

p2839691033-3.jpg

There is usually someone playing music here. We had this classical trio, Valentino - a great guitarist and a very lively piano player, Eva

p2839690926-3.jpg

I screwed this up and had to edit it - that's why you are getting atrium pics instead of room pics - sorry

Edited by Cyber Kat

So this is where I screwed up - I got distracted by chatting about the lobby and the WOW effect and I hit submit before I meant to!

At 1pm, we went down to check out our room. It was spectacular. I mentioned earlier that we got an upgrade for a minimal cost compared to the difference in the price. When I first looked at the rooms on the Viking site, I could see little difference between the Standard Veranda and the Deluxe Veranda. I thought the Penthouse Verandas looked similar except they had a couch instead of the chairs. I must not have been wearing my glasses, because the whole configuration is different. The closet in the V and DV rooms is next to the bed with only the width of the little nightstand separating it from the bed. Kind of a tight squeeze. The PV rooms are also considerably wider - the width of a credenza wider. The closet and the shelf with the safe and 3 drawers is next to it. It also has the coffee maker - which you get in a DV, but not a V.

Here we are! I don't know if you can notice, but each room has a doorbell. I thought that was so cool, but I am easily impressed!

p2839536559-3.jpg

p2839400733-3.jpg

The wall for the DV and V cabins is where the credenza under the TV starts, so it's kind of a narrow area between the wall and the bed, and of course you don't have the credenza. We had tons of storage space.

There is a full length mirror across from the shelf and block of drawers and it's next to the bathroom drawer. The safe is in the top drawer under the shelf. It's not really a drawer, it's a door. It was larger than I'm used to in hotels and on other cruise ships. Coffee maker is on top of the safe on the shelf

Better shot of the seating area

p2839401351-3.jpg

Loved the credenza - we used these drawers and the 2 shelves for a lot

p2839400929-3.jpg

TV is interactive, you can make reservations, view your account and there's all sorts of programming. I didn't take a photo, but the section of the desk in front of the chair lifts up. It has a lighted mirror and some storage. I kept all my hair stuff in there. On the right of the desk are more drawers and the fridge is on the left

p2839401613-3.jpg

The 2 tables next to the bed have US plugs, European plugs and USB ports. There is a small shallow drawer and a shelf

p2839401890-3.jpg

All rooms include the robe, slippers, an umbrella and their own brand toiletries (bar soap, body wash, shampoo, creme rinse and lotion), lots of plugs & USB ports, awesome hair dryer that works like a real one, nice big safe, mini bar with soft drinks, bottled water & snacks, carafe of purified water.

Rooms in categories above the basic veranda (they are ALL balcony rooms) get binoculars and a coffee maker with coffee. They also get the mini-bar contents replenished. Penthouse Veranda (what we had) and above get alcohol in the mini bar and it is replenished.

I'm at 6 photos so more on the room in a bit

I don't see many reviews on the Viking boards - river or ocean, like the ones on other boards, so I'm going to attempt one. I've done reviews before, but sometimes I don't finish them - but I'm going to try - I hope you'll forgive me. I do have lots of photos!

We booked this cruise not long after we did our first Viking cruise in August of 2016 - a river cruise, the Rhine Getaway. We loved it so much, we knew we wanted more Viking.

The itinerary for this cruise was originally: San Juan, Tortola, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Martin/Maarten, St Thomas, then back to San Juan.

The back to back hurricanes last fall, Irma & Maria, did a number on quite a few of the ports, so there were long periods of wondering whether the cruise would go on, and which ports we would visit. As the time got closer, things began to settled down and it looked like we would go ahead with just some minor itinerary changes.

We finally ended up with: San Juan, St Croix, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Martin/Maarten, St Thomas, then back to San Juan. Tortola was off the list. I was disappointed because I'd hoped to go over to Jost Van Dyke and visit the Soggy Dollar Bar, but it was not to be. We had St Croix instead. I'll live!

Since the ship was going to be in San Juan overnight, we decided not to do a Viking extension, but we did want to fly down ahead of time. The price for the Viking air when we booked was $45pp - a bargain. We paid the deviation fee of $100 to fly in the day before the cruise. Viking's standard is to fly you in the day of unless you do an extension with them. I don't like taking the chance.

I asked about Viking Air Plus - which is the only way to do Viking Air, IMO. If you don't, you end up with whatever flights they can book at discount prices with their air partners. Sometimes that means, odd hours, strangely configured itineraries and several stops stuck in the cheapest coach seats. They said it was not available for this cruise because there were limited flights. NYC to Puerto Rico? Limited flights? I don't think so!

I did some digging around and I found a direct, non-stop flight from JFK to San Juan on Delta (our preferred carrier at the moment) - actually, I found several. I selected Delta Comfort going to San Juan, but Delta Comfort was sold out for the return flight. The Delta site showed we could do Delta business/first for only $50pp more - SOLD!

I called Viking to cancel the air - no problem. I got a refund of the $45 pp plus the $100 deviation fee, then the rep asked me to hold on while she checked something. When she came back, she said there was an air allowance, so I ended up getting back a total of $679. I have no idea what this "air allowance" was, but my mother always said, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!" If you are canceling Viking Air - ask about the air allowance. Can't hurt!

Next up was booking the hotel. I'd visited The Hotel El Convento in Old San Juan with my sister a number of years ago and I decided that's where I wanted to stay if I ever had the opportunity. I tried to book on their web site, but they have a 2 night limit. I emailed their contact address and asked if we could do one night - they said yes! They do require 1 night deposit (refundable if I cancelled 24 hours before), so basically I paid for the room ahead.

p2839395782-3.jpg

Then came the hurricanes! I was able to get in touch with them and they said, they had minimal damage and would be open no problem. By March most of Old San Juan had power and water. Sadly, the rest of Puerto Rico does not.

On to booking the shore excursions...

For those who don't know, Viking Ocean has a different (and somewhat controversial) way of handling shore excursion reservations and dining reservations for the specialty/alternative restaurants - Manfredi's and the Chef's Table. The higher categories (read more expensive) cabins get priority starting with the Explorer Suites at 97 days prior to embarkation and ending with the Standard Veranda at 60 days (with no advance dinner reservations). We were booked in a Deluxe Veranda - so we were at 67 days (with 60 for dinner reservations)

The reservation period opens up at midnight CA time (because their offices are located there), which meant that I had to get up at 3am Eastern time, to do it. I set my alarm, used my iPad, then went back to sleep. I got all the times and shore excursions I wanted, except the St Kitts Railway - which I'll get to shortly.

Yes we could have booked independently, but the prices for the Viking optional excursions aren't too bad, and the less stress the better. I'd just rather go through the ship, than have to worry about all the details, finding what we want, booking, checking their refund policy if the ship doesn't make the port, finding where the guide or ride will be in a strange port. No thanks.

There has been much written about this whole process. Much weeping and gnashing of teeth. A lot of people complain that they don't get ones they want because they are sold out. I knew all of this when I picked the cabin and I can't say I have any major objection to it. I think I'm at an age where I pick my battles carefully, and more often go with the flow. I did learn that once you are on board the ship - everything is flexible, and they rarely say no. They will do everything they can to accommodate you.

The St Kitts Railway saga! There were no excursions listed at all for St Kitts - neither included, nor optional. I kept calling Viking to find out what was happening, and everyone said, "hurricane damage." Nope - St Kitts was not really affected at all. Multiple phone calls and emails - still no answer. Finally someone in our roll call posted that the St Kitts excursions were up! I went in, saw it and booked it!

Few days later, I'm looking at the calendar and I see that the excursion ends at 5pm and the ship is scheduled to sail at 4:30pm. Ruh roh! I posted on the Viking Facebook page and asked if a long swim was included in the excursion. More phone calls and emails. "Don't worry," they said. "We won't leave you," they said. Okay - but I did kind of worry - worry that they would cancel it!

So we were starting to get all the ducks in a row. We had 22 registered for our Cruise Critic-Viking sponsored Meet & Mingle. Good to go with that. I had started getting things read to pack and go, with one eye on the weather because March decided to be a lion all month long and a grumpy one at that.

One last bit before we get to actually setting out on our way. About a week before, I get an email asking if we wanted to upgrade to a Penthouse Veranda for $200 each. A pretty good price. I think a lot of people cancelled because of the uncertainty with the hurricanes. I asked my husband and he asked, "Do we get booze in the mini bar?" I said, "yes," he said. "book it!" I called and asked what rooms they had and there was one just 1 deck above where we were - pretty much the same location. We made the switch!

Coming up next - we're off!

We stayed at EL Convento about four years ago. We absolutely fell in love with the hotel. While it is pricey it’s nice to splurge once in a while for something as beautiful as that. They still have the black and white kitty cat there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in OSJ, St Thomas and St Maarten on Celebrity in March.Walked up to the Cathedral, The Coach Store and El Convento before shopping our way back to the ship with a dinner stop at Marmalade.

We've been on NCL, Princess, RCL and Celebrity and have been thinking about trying Viking. The other day a pretty detailed brochure arrived in the mail - very impressive. We found your cruise in it. Your review pretty much clinched the deal.

We stayed at EL Convento about four years ago. We absolutely fell in love with the hotel. While it is pricey it’s nice to splurge once in a while for something as beautiful as that. They still have the black and white kitty cat there?

Yes saw the cat in the morning walking around the upper patio where the wine and cheese event is held each day. I boarded the Viking Sea the day CyberKat got off. I have this cruise booked mark for a future sailing.

How are the on board activities?

I have no idea. [emoji16]. We had no sea days and were busy with excursions during the day. I never even made it to the spa.

We ate dinner around 7:00pm finished up around 9:00 pm. Some nights we went to Torshavn to listen to the band. A couple of nights we had a night cap in the Living Room where the classical trio played.

I have no idea. [emoji16]. We had no sea days and were busy with excursions during the day. I never even made it to the spa.

We ate dinner around 7:00pm finished up around 9:00 pm. Some nights we went to Torshavn to listen to the band. A couple of nights we had a night cap in the Living Room where the classical trio played.

That works for us and it's the impression I've gotten from reading other Viking reviews. Port intensive, don't need rock walls, water slides and casinos. Well, I wouldn't mind a small casino but Viking sounds very relaxing.

You got the room configuration I would have preferred. Some PVs have the separate door/window and some just have the sliding glass doors. We had the latter. I liked being able to leave them open occasionally for fresh air, but I would’ve liked to be able to see outside while sitting on the couch.

Edited by Twitchly