Dublin Questions

We are considering touring Dublin on our own. I noticed the Dublin Pass includes a hop on hop off bus pass and admission to a number of attractions, including admission to Guiness tour, Dublin Castle, Jameson Distillery as well as museums and churches.

Does anyone have experience with the Dublin Pass and the hop on hop off bus? What is transportation like from the ship to the center of town? Does Princess offer any type of shuttle service?

Thanks for the comments.

I found the HoHo bus good value and FUN. Live commentary and singing drivers. Perhaps we were lucky, but all drivers were a hoot.

Jamison distillery is great. Loved it. And if you have a double shot Irish coffee before lunch, you will be A OK all day long.

We enjoyed the HoHo bus in Dublin on our second day. Princess provided a free shuttle bus to Merrion Square. We walked from there to Dublin Castle, by St. Patrick's Cathedral, and to the National Gallery before catching the shuttle back to the ship.

There were three different companies offering HoHo buses in Dublin. We chose the yellow one for the live commentary. The green ones also had live commentary. The red ones used taped commentary. We spent two and a half hours at Guinness, including lunch in the cafeteria. We enjoyed riding around the rest of the HoHo route without getting off. Both days in Dublin were dreary.

I was also looking into getting the Dublin one day pass but have not been able to find anyone that has done this to see if it would save time and money or if its just easier to pay as you go. From what I can see it looks like if you purchase card and utilize hop on hop off buses, Guiness, Jamison, and possibly another quick site you would come out ahead with card. And with card all you do is swipe and go instead of monetary transactions. Would love to hear feedback if anyone has used for one day port day.

• 1 year later...

The hard part is getting into town from the port.  We walked it, but it was a 30-45 minute walk, and nothing to see on the way.  Then we managed to get lost coming back, and it took twice as long.  Hopefully you've got a shuttle option on your cruise.

We are visiting Dublin this summer also on a Princess cruise (two days in Dublin).  From what I've researched on these Boards, some have reported that the Princess shuttles are $8 one way or $16 round trip (per person, chargeable to your cabin).  Some have reported the shuttle is free.   So just fyi don't be surprised if there is a charge.   One day we plan to use the shuttle, the next we are doing a tour excursion so we won't need it.

Additional info:  from reading more, it seems that Princess charges for the shuttle or not depending upon what exact port /dock in Dublin the ship is assigned to use.  At one port, taxi's are not permitted, and therefore the Princess shuttle is free.  At the port where taxi's are permitted, Princess charges.   I have not found any info on these boards as to the times of the shuttles when the ship is in port overnight.