Transfer with Cruise Line or Separate Company - Should one be avoided?

renee48rmt

My family and I will be docking in Livorno and plan to spend the day on our own in Florence. The transfer through NCL is $139 each so a total of $556 just to get us from the ship to Florence and back to the ship again. I've found much cheaper options (an average of $70 per person round trip) on ShoreExcursionsGroup.com and CruisingExcursions.com, but I worry about using a company other than the cruise line for a transfer and it either taking too long to get there or some other problem arising. I know people do it, but I'm wondering if it's common to use a separate company from the cruise line for "on your own" transfers or generally discouraged. If it's common, is there a particular company or recommendation?

Thank you!!

A lot of people use excursions outside of the cruise line, quite safely. It is discussed here almost daily.

There is something you need to know about the vendors you are looking at. They are brokers, and don't actually provide the service. They take your money, and contract with local vendors. Low prices attract a lot of people, but there have been issues with reaching the vendors and customer service, particularly if you have an issue, like you are running late.

Thus, many people, like us, will state we prefer dealing directly with vendors. Lowest price isn't the only issue to consider.

A lot of people use excursions outside of the cruise line, quite safely. It is discussed here almost daily.

There is something you need to know about the vendors you are looking at. They are brokers, and don't actually provide the service. They take your money, and contract with local vendors. Low prices attract a lot of people, but there have been issues with reaching the vendors and customer service, particularly if you have an issue, like you are running late.

Thus, many people, like us, will state we prefer dealing directly with vendors. Lowest price isn't the only issue to consider.

I have seen that mentioned, but when you say you prefer to deal directly with the vendors, what do you mean? Do you wait until you get off the ship and find your transfer at port? If not, how do I find a list of vendors? I'm sorry, this is all just so new to me.

I have seen that mentioned, but when you say you prefer to deal directly with the vendors, what do you mean? Do you wait until you get off the ship and find your transfer at port? If not, how do I find a list of vendors? I'm sorry, this is all just so new to me.

cruiserbruce is referring to specific vendors that are well recommended online but that one books through their own website/agency, not through a middle man.

The problem with Florence is that most drivers want to give you an all-day tour (at a higher cost) than just a straight transfer to/from Florence from Livorno. However, you may be able to find someone.

Alternatively you can take the local train, which is what I've done on my two visits by cruise ship to Livorno.

When you say it is all new to you, I would strongly reinforce that you need to do some reading on this board, and also possibly look at a good guidebook that is oriented to cruisers in the Med. Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports would be a good starting point.

Many, many people do these ports on their own or with a private tour. No reason to take the ship's tour or transfer -- unless you want to do so.

cruiserbruce is referring to specific vendors that are well recommended online but that one books through their own website/agency, not through a middle man.

The problem with Florence is that most drivers want to give you an all-day tour (at a higher cost) than just a straight transfer to/from Florence from Livorno. However, you may be able to find someone.

Alternatively you can take the local train, which is what I've done on my two visits by cruise ship to Livorno.

When you say it is all new to you, I would strongly reinforce that you need to do some reading on this board, and also possibly look at a good guidebook that is oriented to cruisers in the Med. Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports would be a good starting point.

Many, many people do these ports on their own or with a private tour. No reason to take the ship's tour or transfer -- unless you want to do so.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

We do private tours in every port and they end up costing WAY less than the cruise line....You should look into getting one for the day with the number of people you have you would have a nice ride into Florence, which is about 2 hrs, and you can customize what you want to do...no lines.....Well worth a look

HI

I have used Joe Banana Limos the past 5 years ( i go every summer) , they are awesome. I can tell you who to avoid- sun transfers They left us and another group at the airport. We had prepaid and they refused money back. My cc company refunded me luckily.

We also never do cruise transfers/excursions. It's much cheaper to arrange things ourselves, or we decide we're ok with the overall cost but do a private tour that gets us much more (time, locations, flexibility.) It's shocking, really, how much upcharge there is for cruise sponsored activities. Use the search here to search specific ports, and look online. We've had no problem with any company we've used. I tend to contact several and then choose the one that communicates promptly and accurately. Because we are a 3 generation group of 8, I also look for companies that are willing to modify as needed to fit our group.