Should I bring Euros for my Baltics Cruise?

We will be in Amsterdam for three days prior to boarding the Brilliance. We will be in Finland for one day, and Estonia for one day. I can spend Euros in these countries, and I think having some cash might come in handy. We will also be in St Petersburg, Stockholm and Copenhagen, but they don't accept the Euro, correct?

I am thinking about bringing $1,000 Euros to pay my way through the trip. Any thoughts?

The best place (best exchange rate) to get Euros is via a bank ATM in one of the countries that uses the Euro. I get about 100 Euros at home, just to have some for taxi fare if needed, and the rest via bank ATM once I arrive in Europe.

We had a few hundred Euros left over from a previous Med cruise which we used in Estonia and Finland. Rest of the ports we just used credit cards. Just be sure to let your bank know where and when you'll be traveling.

Have you ever done the math to see what exchange rate you get through the ATM? It looks like Bank of America wants about 6%.

No, I've not done the math. However, I can give you one data point to show the difference between an airport ATM and a bank ATM. I got 100 Euros at the Rome airport (FCO), cost was $145. The next day I got 100 Euros at bank ATM in Civitavecchia, cost was $125. The published exchange rate was not significantly different those two days.

I found that we could get a relatively good exchange rate and only had to pay postage to get euros at my Wells Fargo Bank. I think some big city banks have euros--but, I live in a rural area.

The postage was $7 the last time I did this. I did the math and there was not much difference between this and using an European city ATM once I paid ATM fees a few times. My bank does not have a European affiliated bank and would charge me $5 each time I used a non-Wells Fargo bank ATM. . . . also, I felt more comfortable doing this. We used a CC for any big items.

I am not discounting the advice given here--I just wanted to describe a different option.

YMMV

I found that we could get a relatively good exchange rate and only had to pay postage to get euros at my Wells Fargo Bank. I think some big city banks have euros--but, I live in a rural area.

The postage was $7 the last time I did this. I did the math and there was not much difference between this and using an European city ATM once I paid ATM fees a few times. My bank does not have a European affiliated bank and would charge me $5 each time I used a non-Wells Fargo bank ATM. . . . also, I felt more comfortable doing this. We used a CC for any big items.

I am not discounting the advice given here--I just wanted to describe a different option.

YMMV

This is one reason we use a Capital One debit card, no foreign transaction fees and ATM fees reimbursed up to $30 per month.

Have you ever done the math to see what exchange rate you get through the ATM? It looks like Bank of America wants about 6%.

Get a card with no foreign transaction fees.

I use my debit card in the ATM, as credit cards charge you a fee, and then interest starts the minute you get the money.

I used Euros during my Scandinavia cruise in 2008. Got a small amount at the airport before flying over and then bought more in Copenhagen at a currency exchange place next to my hotel. I don't remember if we used Euros in St. Petersburg, but I did get some rubles as change (they did accept dollars at the Hermitage) at my request for my scrapbook ;):) I also received zlotys in Poland, but you aren't going there so that isn't an issue.

Have a WONDERFUL cruise! I absolutely adored that trip. Tallinn was my favorite place followed by Stockholm.

Ultimately one has to weigh the pros and cons of the various options and decide what they are most comfortable with. Some people want to get a large amount of euros from a bank at home because maybe they don't want to worry about finding ATMs or they believe the fee will be less at home. Some won't want to travel with a large amount of cash and would rather get money at ATMs if and when needed, even if it means possibly paying multiple fees; the other advantage this way is sometimes it's hard to estimate how much or how little cash you'll need until you're there. Some advocate the use of a card with no foreign transaction fees, but some people might prefer, for any number of reasons, to not get yet another credit card if they don't already have a particular card.

My rule of thumb, and yes, I'm going to the Baltics really soon. Cruise ports. The equivalent of $25 per person per port. That is plenty to cover taxi/bus and beverage and/or light snacks. We usually do things on our own. For the Euro countries, if we had left over money no problem, it is kept until next year.

For the non-Euro ports, same as above. Small pocket change. (The risks is at $25.00 you could have left over money which you can't use anyplace else)

For Russia, a little different. I have tours, so I have "tip" money available, which was predetermined. I also plan of eating dinner between the day tour and evening tour, which I already have permission to accomplish. I also want to refrain from using my credit card in Russia. With that in mind, cost of dinner, two lunches and tip money, plus the expectation of buying more stuff than in other ports, I came up with a good guess.

For the pre and post cruise days I budget $50.00 per person. Remember that they are days filled with sight seeing, two meals, transportation etc.

I use credit cards in Europe all the time with no issues. I also have 0% transaction fees. Some places will not accept them for small purchases. So it is always good to have the cash. Vending machines need chip and pin, so cash is necessary. Bathrooms you always need pocket change in many areas. Merchants will accept just chip cards with no issues. Also remember the dreaded VAT taxes. They add up on food and beverages fast.

I used visa.com and Google Maps to find ATMs in the cities I flew in to. The Copenhagen airport has a standalone ATM we passed on the way to the airport hotel and visa.com got me the networks in common for the ATMs I found.

Prior to heading out on last year's Northern Baltics cruise, I calculated how much a 24 hour metro ticket would cost for my family members and ordered enough cash from my bank to cover that automated transaction. Beyond that, I used a credit card without difficulties in Copenhagen. I expected extra charges for using a card, but didn't experience any.

This is one reason we use a Capital One debit card, no foreign transaction fees and ATM fees reimbursed up to $30 per month.

I am in LeHavre, France right now. I bank with Ally bank and used their debit card at an ATM in the Azores and 100 Euros cost $123 and today in France 100 Euros cost $122 with no exchange premium.

I am in LeHavre, France right now. I bank with Ally bank and used their debit card at an ATM in the Azores and 100 Euros cost $123 and today in France 100 Euros cost $122 with no exchange premium.

That's an excellent exchange rate.

Shouldn't be an issue. In Europe, the prices you will see already include all taxes. On your receipts, you will probably see a breakdown showing how much of what you have paid was tax, but it won't be charged as an extra. This can be useful if you are taking goods outside Europe and want to know how much VAT you might be able to claim back.

I think it is only in the USA where prices for goods etc are displayed without taxes, and these are added at the checkout, quite an unpleasant surprise for those of us not used to it!

My wife and I are heading over to Europe to enjoy our cruise in a couple of weeks. I have a no fee CC and will use it at ATM as needed. However I also wanted some Euros to get us started. I went to my local AAA this afternoon and ordered some Euros... Rate was 1.2623 with no fees or postage (i'm a member so not sure if that helped) ... so every 100 euros cost me 126.23... rate is not as favorable as an EU ATM but a good option.

Thanks for the advice. Based upon all options described, we pulled the trigger on $1,000 Euros from Bank of America. Our rate was $126.90 per Hundred. Looks like we'll have to have an overpriced meal with overpriced wine to use up some of the cash! Talk about money burning a hole in your pocket.

I estimate the following expenses (all estimates are for 2 people):

Cab to hotel $60 Euros

Two normal priced dinners and one high priced dinner $300

Two lunches $100

Beers $50

Hookers $0 Dollars (wife said no)

Museums $100

Souvenirs $100

Cab to Ship $35

Day trip in Tallinn $100

Day trip in Helsinki $100

Cab to airport $60

I will give the ATMs a go, and see if my "no international fee" credit card works too.

Should be fun! Thanks for the help.

Using a no international fee credit card to get cash at an ATM in Europe would only mean no fee tacked onto the exchange right but would still count as a cash advance (at a high interest rate) correct?

Correct.

Using a no international fee credit card to get cash at an ATM in Europe would only mean no fee tacked onto the exchange right but would still count as a cash advance (at a high interest rate) correct?

I have a PIN for my credit cards, but only to use as a last resort.

We used ATMs in Barcelona with no problem. In planning for our Baltic cruise, my husband has been unable to find an ATM in Amsterdam that is reciprocal with Bank of America. We don't want to have to pay ATM fees as well as the exchange rate. Guess we'll order them at home.

Thanks for the advice. Based upon all options described, we pulled the trigger on $1,000 Euros from Bank of America. Our rate was $126.90 per Hundred. Looks like we'll have to have an overpriced meal with overpriced wine to use up some of the cash! Talk about money burning a hole in your pocket.

I estimate the following expenses (all estimates are for 2 people):

Cab to hotel $60 Euros - if you are near Central Station, take the train. I believe it is €7,50.

Two normal priced dinners and one high priced dinner $300 - I could see this, 3 dinners for me.

Two lunches $100 - Well, that a little steep estimate for lunch unless you are adding two beers per person, like me.

Beers $50 - That seems a little low, especially if you don't get the hookers, you got to do something else in the evening

Hookers $0 Dollars (wife said no) - Make up for this in Beer.

Museums $100 - Check out the Holland Pass. You might save some money. I'm thinking you are staying 3 days, so $100 sounds low.

Souvenirs $100 - I'm hoping

Cab to Ship $35 - I'm walking because I hate getting cabs for 1/2 mile

Day trip in Tallinn $100 - I'm thinking less, like $60.00 for the port and $40.00 to enjoy a beer or 2.

Day trip in Helsinki $100 - sounds good

Cab to airport $60 - see above for train

I will give the ATMs a go, and see if my "no international fee" credit card works too.

Should be fun! Thanks for the help.

Ok, to be serious. If you have too much money, you can do the following:

1. Tip the ship using Euro's.

2. In St. Petersburg, tip in Euro's instead of Rubles.

3. Other tips, just use Euro's.

4. Keep remaining Euro's as an excuse to go on another trip.

5. Meet me in the pub on the ship, and buy me a beer.

No, I've not done the math. However, I can give you one data point to show the difference between an airport ATM and a bank ATM. I got 100 Euros at the Rome airport (FCO), cost was $145. The next day I got 100 Euros at bank ATM in Civitavecchia, cost was $125. The published exchange rate was not significantly different those two days.

I did the same thing, Rome Airport, crazy. Then in Rome the next day at a bank I got a better rate.

We took no Euro's with us, and just got them when we landed, the first costing the most lol.

Kathy