Newbie to Cruising - need more info

Hello fellow vacationers!

A tad backstory - My husband and I were on one cruise back in 2001 around the Hawaiian islands for our honeymoon. And we had no idea what to expect.

Now, fast forward with 2 kids later, we are getting ready for our cruise in July on the Liberty of the Seas. And I feel unprepared.

I have a bunch of questions, and some I have been able to find out myself (like bringing a case of water on board).

Anyhoo, I hope my questions make sense. :)

We are signed up for My Time Dining - but we aren't fancy people (we don't dress up too often). Can we get away with eating at the WindJammer the majority of the time?

Or, if I had a nice pair of capri (jeans) and my husband and son wore kahki shorts with nice tops, would this attire be appropriate?

What isn't included? Obviously if I want a massage, that's going to cost me. But if we don't get any beverage packages, will we only be limited to water?

And if we went to any of the specialty restaurants, would this cost extra? How about Johnny Rockets (I think that's the name?)?

My son is 15 and addicted to video games - so this trip will be a huge challenge for him. He keeps to himself and likes to explore but also has Asperger's, so we need for him to be able to keep in touch with him. Yes, I know - people will say we need to "unplug". But that's not possible for our family.

Is anyone familiar with any bluetooth apps that we can use to keep in contact via text?

Tipping... it's freaking me out a little. So I understand that my gratuities will be added to my SeaPass for each of us per person. But it's still recommend to tip in addition to this, separately?

I also read somewhere that it's not suggested to use a debit card for any charges as RC will put holds for funds in my account. Does that mean we can't get buy without a credit card?

Ok, I think that's it for now... or at least all I can remember at this moment. If you can think of anything you wish you knew when you first when on your cruise, I'd love it if you would pass it along.

Thank you!!!

Melissa

A tad backstory - My husband and I were on one cruise back in 2001 around the Hawaiian islands for our honeymoon. And we had no idea what to expect.

Now, fast forward with 2 kids later, we are getting ready for our cruise in July on the Liberty of the Seas. And I feel unprepared.

I have a bunch of questions, and some I have been able to find out myself (like bringing a case of water on board).. I'm not sure about that one but I think the answer is yes you can. Water on the ship however is very safe to drink

We are signed up for My Time Dining - but we aren't fancy people (we don't dress up too often). Can we get away with eating at the WindJammer the majority of the time? You can eat at either venue food always well prepared at either location

Or, if I had a nice pair of capri (jeans) and my husband and son wore kahki shorts with nice tops, would this attire be appropriate? The dress code has changed so much over the years that I'm gonna say you'll be okay but I do remember a no shorts policy at dinner in the main dining room.

What isn't included? Obviously if I want a massage, that's going to cost me. But if we don't get any beverage packages, will we only be limited to water? Iced tea in the main dining room. Lemonade and other non carbonated fruity drinks in the windjammer.

And if we went to any of the specialty restaurants, would this cost extra? How about Johnny Rockets (I think that's the name?)? All specialties have an upcharge including Johnny

My son is 15 and addicted to video games - so this trip will be a huge challenge for him. There is a game room on the ship. He keeps to himself and likes to explore but also has Asperger's, so we need for him to be able to keep in touch with him. Yes, I know - people will say we need to "unplug". But that's not possible for our family.

Is anyone familiar with any bluetooth apps that we can use to keep in contact via text? I can not answer that one not tech savvy enough.

Tipping... it's freaking me out a little. So I understand that my gratuities will be added to my SeaPass for each of us per person. But it's still recommend to tip in addition to this, separately? Additional tipping is at your discretion. All bar drinks will automatically add an 18% tip to the bill.

I also read somewhere that it's not suggested to use a debit card for any charges as RC will put holds for funds in my account. Does that mean we can't get buy without a credit card? Cash and debit card can be used but you are right about the "hold" on a debit card. Credit is best but if you do not have one you can get by.

Ok, I think that's it for now... or at least all I can remember at this moment. If you can think of anything you wish you knew when you first when on your cruise, I'd love it if you would pass it along.

Thank you!!!

Melissa

See above for my responses.

Bluetooth apps for texting won't work on the ship. If you must stay connected, then buy the VOOM internet service for all devices that need to be connected.

My family ate at the Windjammer most nights on our last cruise. We had a couple at Johnny Rockets, but never hit the main dining room. Johnny Rockets was $9.95 cover charge. Basically all you can eat once you pay that, except milkshakes are extra. I believe I have read that the price may have increased though. Specialty restaurants are extra. Someone can answer specifically about Liberty, but ther will probably be a cafe or two and maybe a pizza place that will be included.

I have younger kids, and they enjoyed the kids club. We received a pager from them because of the age of our youngest and the fact that my oldest has epilepsy and is also on the spectrum. It was never used. I can't speak on the teen group though and we did not have any need to try any bluetooth devices. I'm sure someone else here can answer that though.

Freedom had an arcade that if Liberty has it your son might enjoy. Just be aware that the games are not all always kept in working order. I think he will still enjoy time around the ship as there is so much to do.

You will be able to get coffee and juice with meals at the restaurants. We bought the basic soda package since hubby and I drink way too many soft drinks. We brought our own cups with us and loaded up on lemonade for our oldest son at meals and milk for our youngest. That got us through between the mealtimes and we never even checked what was available any other time.

Only tip extra if you think an employee deserves it. There is no requirement for extra. On the cruises we have been on we always tipped our room steward extra and then everything else depended on the service, etc.

You may have read this elsewhere, but we did pick up, and use, magnetic hooks and the over the door shoe organizer. The hooks were good for hanging our lanyards, hats, etc. The shoe organizer was great for putting our charging cords, kids items, etc into. Oh- pens or highlighters as well if you want to highlight the daily schedule with where you want to go or write anything down. Maybe grab a notepad or whiteboard to write down where everyone is. That way if he goes off on his own he can come back to the room to see where you guys are, or vice versa.

If you don't want him to be able to charge anything to the seapass card (buy things at shops, etc) have that ability disabled on his card once you board.

Responses in red below.

I have a bunch of questions, and some I have been able to find out myself (like bringing a case of water on board).

We are signed up for My Time Dining - but we aren't fancy people (we don't dress up too often). Can we get away with eating at the WindJammer the majority of the time? Yes you can eat every dinner there but also don't feel like you are banished from the MDR. On a 7 night cruise there are two dress up nights - avoid those and the remainder just don't go in beach/pool gear and you'll be just fine.

Or, if I had a nice pair of capri (jeans) and my husband and son wore kahki shorts with nice tops, would this attire be appropriate? Yes.

What isn't included? Obviously if I want a massage, that's going to cost me. But if we don't get any beverage packages, will we only be limited to water? There is more than water included. Tea, juice, regular coffee, etc. Alcohol, specialty coffees and sodas not included.

And if we went to any of the specialty restaurants, would this cost extra? How about Johnny Rockets (I think that's the name?)? Rockets cost extra (except for at breakfast). There is a good breakdown for which dining venues are included and are for fee here = https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=368&pgtype=dining

My son is 15 and addicted to video games - so this trip will be a huge challenge for him. He keeps to himself and likes to explore but also has Asperger's, so we need for him to be able to keep in touch with him. Yes, I know - people will say we need to "unplug". But that's not possible for our family.

Is anyone familiar with any bluetooth apps that we can use to keep in contact via text?

Tipping... it's freaking me out a little. So I understand that my gratuities will be added to my SeaPass for each of us per person. But it's still recommend to tip in addition to this, separately? Do not let this freak you out and ruin your vacation. It's just like in regular life in the US for tipping. Additional tipping is just that. Additional. For great/exceptional service. A way to say thank you for something they did that you appreciated.

I also read somewhere that it's not suggested to use a debit card for any charges as RC will put holds for funds in my account. Does that mean we can't get buy without a credit card?

Thank you!!!

Melissa

Room service is per order. Restaurants are per person.

If you want a relatively inexpensive upcharge restaurant, check out Sabor. It's really good on that ship.

Actually all of the specialty restaurants are excellent on that ship, so you won't go wrong no matter where you eat.

Charging camera and phones... anyone know how many outlets are in a room? I know surge protectors aren't allowed. Is there another way around this so we can plug in and charge multiple things at once?

I bought a charging stand that could be used with multiple USB type charging cords. These can be found on Amazin.

Charging camera and phones... anyone know how many outlets are in a room? I know surge protectors aren't allowed. Is there another way around this so we can plug in and charge multiple things at once?

Usually 2 US outlets and 1 Euro outlet. Oasis class has 3 US outlets at the desk.

No need to eat in the buffet...you can be fairly casual in the dining room, either with My Tie dining or traditional seating.

The tips added to your account are plenty. NO need to tip additionally...absolutely NONE! If you want to, you can, but it's not suggested, or recommended, or required. It's totally up to you. What they charge daily covers all who serve you in cabin or dining. Room service is NOT included in those tips...if you use room service.d No one else requires tipping.