Help me with my math

Help me with my math. Do you think this is a website error or just deceptive pricing. For simplicity I have not included taxes.

Since kids sail free is combinable with the BOGO WOW sale shouldn't the discount be 2518 instead of 2360? Notice below that the discount for 2 guests is 836.

So when the kids are added the discount should be 836 and the price of each child fare which is 841 per guest. I realize everyone has to pay taxes, but I am not looking at the

extra price of tax right now.

A cruise for 2 people is as follows

Guest 1

Cruise Fare

$1,197.00

Guest 2

Cruise Fare

$1,197.00

Discounts & Credits

BOGO

$836.00

Now for 4 people using the kids sail free. There are 2 adults and 2 kids

Guest 1

Cruise Fare

$1,197.00

Guest 2

Cruise Fare

$1,197.00

Guest 3

Cruise Fare

$841.00

Guest 4

Cruise Fare

$841.00

Discounts & Credits

$2,360.00

Is this a website error that would be fixed if I call or is this just some marketing trick because it sounds better to say that kids sail free rather than kids sail for $79 each. I understand that 7- per child is still a good price, but it just doesn't seem to be "free" as advertised. Is my math wrong, the website wrong, or my understanding of the promotion wrong. By the way I know all about fake sales. However, kids sail free is usually the one "sale" that does actually save me money.

Obstructed Ocean View Balcony

$2,394.00

2 Guests

Deck 6 Room 6278 Edit

View Summary

Guest 1

Cruise Fare

$1,197.00

Taxes & Fees

$150.27

Guest 2

Cruise Fare

$1,197.00

Taxes & Fees

$150.27

Discounts & Credits

BOGO NO REF DEP

$836.00

Average cost per person

$929.27

TOTAL

$1,858.54

Minimum Deposit

$500.00

With all due respect, just book the cruise because you like the price, or don't. Not worth trying to figure out pricing. Better to simply look at the bottom line and decide which is the best deal for you. People here seem to obsess with "bait and switch" allegations, or "unfair pricing" schemes. Don't waste your time on conspiracy theories. If Royal Caribbean is breaking the law, sue. If not (and I'm fairly certain they aren't), book or don't book based on the real bottom line.

Just sayin'

Thank you, and I agree but that didn't answer my question. Clearly, when the price is something I comfortable with I ill book rather it be with Royal or elsewhere. I was hoping someone knowledge would look at my numbers and have insight as to whether my math wrong, the website glitch, or my understanding of the promotion is wrong.

In my experience "kids sail free" is as "dynamic" as the rest of the pricing shell games they have.

My next cruise is approx $2000 MORE with the current "kids sail free" as opposed to the "kids sail free" we booked under.

In my experience "kids sail free" is as "dynamic" as the rest of the pricing shell games they have.

My next cruise is approx $2000 MORE with the current "kids sail free" as opposed to the "kids sail free" we booked under.

Prices change. Be happy that you got a lower price.

When we booked with Yankee Trails - there was free this or free that........the cruise planner said that "you actually pay for the free stuff" one way or the other. And she is right, prices are higher for this or that to make up for the FREE stuff you think you are getting. Just pay the price that you are happy with and book. Kids Free? - nothing is free, price is higher somewhere.

Thank you, and I agree but that didn't answer my question. Clearly, when the price is something I comfortable with I ill book rather it be with Royal or elsewhere. I was hoping someone knowledge would look at my numbers and have insight as to whether my math wrong, the website glitch, or my understanding of the promotion is wrong.

Why are you asking this forum what is in Royal Caribbean's advertising team's heads? We can't tell you THEIR justification but....guess what... THEY can so simply pick up the phone if it bothers you enough.

False advertising? Sure, possibly but my personal guess is that nobody has sued them for the $79 yet and probably nobody ever will because it's not financially feasible. Then again this is 10000% guessing and of no productive contribution. CALL THEM DIRECTLY & then once you learn the details, come back on here and share with the forum to provide civic responsibility if you like.

I booked our cruise back in Sept with a similar sale and had the same problem with their pricing and discount breakdown. Couldn’t figure it out from RCL’s website. We decided to book through a 3rd party website for some perks and they broke the pricing out a bit differently than RCL. For the kids, there was more money allocated to the taxes and fees to make it $0 (excluding taxes and fees). Still couldn’t figure out how they came up with their numbers either but we booked it anyways since it was an amazing deal. I continually rechecked the prices and they were never close to the deal we got so I was happy even though the numbers never added up for me.

Looking at your numbers, the discount on the 2 person cabin works out to be about 70% when the sale is for 50% the 2nd guest. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Maybe try pricing it out on a 3rd party website and see how they breakdown the price and compare to RCL. If still not completely satisfied, call them.

Help me with my math. Do you think this is a website error or just deceptive pricing. For simplicity I have not included taxes.

Since kids sail free is combinable with the BOGO WOW sale shouldn't the discount be 2518 instead of 2360? Notice below that the discount for 2 guests is 836.

So when the kids are added the discount should be 836 and the price of each child fare which is 841 per guest. I realize everyone has to pay taxes, but I am not looking at the

extra price of tax right now................

Wished I could help, but they are so screwy with their prices it's hard to know what they are doing. All I know is when they have a sale it really isn't a sale. They just move the numbers around and call it a sale.

Between FCC's and 50,000 new air return filters prices are going up;p

Let's just hope they actually buy some new filters. That was disgusting.

Deceptive pricing. I didn’t even read your post, but I’m going with that. (I will go back and read it).

Edit after reading: When I first saw the WOW sale and the “30%” off deals being advertised on tv, I was confused by pricing too. The per person price didn’t add up. I even called Royal, thinking there must be some mistake. I didn’t see the discount being taken off. Well, they told me that the price listed already had the discount factored in, and said something about averaging the discounts across all the people in the booking. It didn’t make sense, and I learned that their sales are a gimmick and ignore them except to use them as a trigger to check if there has been a price drop on my cruise (if there is, you can call in and have them reprice your balance due).

Other than that, I realized it is just them using different ways to entice different types of deal seekers to feel like they got a sale that speaks to them. Kids sail free is great for families. 30% off is great for people who like discounts. Free On Board Credit is great for people who like something extra added in. In the end, all of them kind of cost the same amount (except kids sail free which does tend to be a better deal). It’s just marketing psychology and also a way to really confuse those of us who actually like to do the math.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ARandomTraveler

I'm sorry that some people responding to your post are unhelpful and not answering your question.

I'm sitting here with my calculator, and I've tried doing the math several different ways... It still doesn't add up for me! I am a math teacher too, by the way...

It's frustrating too, because I hate feeling like I'm getting screwed over. I'd say call them, but I guarantee that no one you speak to will be able to adequately break down the pricing for you.

I made my final payment yesterday. My TA said there’s a WOW sale going on. Let me see what I can do for you to get a lower price or maybe an upgrade in category. She went away and came back and said that I should keep the price that I have. It was actually $300 more if I booked with the WOW sale. It would give me a $75 obc but that’s not worth it. Sometimes WOW sales aren’t so “wow”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sorry that some people responding to your post are unhelpful and not answering your question.

I'm sitting here with my calculator, and I've tried doing the math several different ways... It still doesn't add up for me! I am a math teacher too, by the way...

It's frustrating too, because I hate feeling like I'm getting screwed over. I'd say call them, but I guarantee that no one you speak to will be able to adequately break down the pricing for you.

+1(y)

I also second the last statement. You can call, but they won't give you a straight answer (if you can even understand it through the broken English). Call three times, and you'll get three different answers.