How do you get a great DEAL?

So I spoke with my TA... she called RC. I told her I found two rooms (6400 & 6402) that would work for our family.

She said that RC didn't see these rooms available (yet, I did a search again and found them after I got off the phone). So RC looked for other rooms and found a set of connecting rooms with just twin beds. I told my TA that we would really prefer a room with a sofa bed for our son. My TA said that RC told her they can't book a room with a sofa bed with only double occupancy.

Is this true? And why couldn't RC see the two rooms I found?

Yes, Royal does impose minimum occupany requirements on certain categories from time to time.

So I spoke with my TA... she called RC. I told her I found two rooms (6400 & 6402) that would work for our family.

She said that RC didn't see these rooms available (yet, I did a search again and found them after I got off the phone). So RC looked for other rooms and found a set of connecting rooms with just twin beds. I told my TA that we would really prefer a room with a sofa bed for our son. My TA said that RC told her they can't book a room with a sofa bed with only double occupancy.

Is this true? And why couldn't RC see the two rooms I found?

I don't think 6400 and 6402 are balcony. If they are OV your total price will likely be less than what you have paid already and you can't get difference back.

Online if you search double occupancy balcony, those cabins by default won't have sofa bed (I suppose they are all category 2D). I can see there are still plenty on deck 6 that are next to each other mid ship (# 6632, 6634, 6642, 6644, 6332, 6334, 6336) and then a bit forward (#6572, 6574, 6266, 6268, 6280, 6282)

What's wrong with twin beds if they are in separate rooms. Twins can be put together to mmg amer a king.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

It's $300 more than what we paid initially. I guess I was hoping to not have to spend any more. But they are connecting rooms, which is a plus - and still have a balcony I believe.

I don't think 6400 and 6402 are balcony. If they are OV your total price will likely be less than what you have paid already and you can't get difference back.

Online if you search double occupancy balcony, those cabins by default won't have sofa bed (I suppose they are all category 2D). I can see there are still plenty on deck 6 that are next to each other mid ship (# 6632, 6634, 6642, 6644, 6332, 6334, 6336) and then a bit forward (#6572, 6574, 6266, 6268, 6280, 6282)

You are correct, 6400 & 6402 are not balcony. Which I'm fine with. These two rooms are "spacious OV"

Wow! Well, that makes me feel a bit better!

Let's say I want to cruise again - can I, hypothetically speaking, get a better deal if I plan a cruise now for July of 2019 or 2020?

Go to the future cruise office while you are on board. You might get a deal on a future July cruise. They usually offer lower deposit, OBC and a gift like a tote bag. Did your friend the travel agent give you any OBC?

Go to the future cruise office while you are on board. You might get a deal on a future July cruise. They usually offer lower deposit, OBC and a gift like a tote bag. Did your friend the travel agent give you any OBC?

Good to know!

Yes, I have $125 OBC

You are correct, 6400 & 6402 are not balcony. Which I'm fine with. These two rooms are "spacious OV"

Ok that's your choice (I can see 6402 available but not 6400 but could be due to my web page), but for me, I'd rather pay the extra $43 to get two balconies, instead of paying whatever you've paid already and get 2 OVs which based on today's market value worth less than what you have paid. I'd also prefer the location of other 2D balconies still available on deck 6 (which are more mid ship) than 6400/6402. Also based on the current price, OV has $75 OBC but balcony has $125.

In any case, enjoy the best from your cruise. We did our very first cruise on Liberty of the Seas 9 years ago when she was still sailing out of Miami, and one more time since then out of Fort Lauderdale. We loved the ship!

Edit: if you are indeed switching from 1 quad occupancy booking to 2 double occupancy booking, and if RCI/TA said they need to charge change fee (even though you didn't change ship or sail date at all), see my post below:

Non-refundable booking: change from a quad to 2 double occupancy cabins: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2604004

We also book early which for your travel needs, because of school etc, seems to be the best option. We can cruise anytime so we are able to cruise when the prices are generally lower but still need to book early. When the booking opens, we book. Keep looking for those price reductions too. They aren't as prevalent as in the past but they do come around occasionally. Discounts for military, police, EMT etc if they apply might come more often.

PS on your cruise there is also available two balcony cabins next to each other on deck 6 in several areas and on the hump 6632 6634 which is nice for $5528. You will be right next to each other. So it's a little bit more money but not much and the benefit of two bathrooms and two balconies.:D

Curious what time of year you got the grand suite for 4 on Harmony for that price? Whenever I've done mock bookings it shows closer to the 10k or more for four of us (I think even JS was 10K ...but I'm in CAD). You did amazing on your cruises.

I want to tell you I booked the upcoming September 18 cruise a couple of months ago (maybe late February or early March with the kids sale free promo - I did a dummy booking for the same cruise with the current promotion and it is approximately $800 more right now).

Last year's end of August cruise I believe I booked in June approximately 8 weeks or so before the sailing. That booking was technically a JS Guarantee but we ended up in a GS.

I'm getting a vibe that the TA is making this all seem like it's a big hassle for her to service this booking. It can be hard doing business with friends but this is a lot of money and you have every right to change things. I'd get the 2 balcony rooms for practically the same price. Since they are sitting on inventory after final payment, they will drop the prices more, but when they do they will sell fast and you will be out of luck.

I booked a trip 2 months ago and in those two months the cost of the same ticket has literally doubled. Basically just watch the prices, as they fluctuate a lot. What a "good deal" is depends on a lot. Not all 7 night trips are equal. A European itinerary can be more expensive then a Caribbean one. 7 nights on the newest and greatest ship running the same exact itenary as an older boat will be more expensive.

I booked our next cruise for Aug 2018 leaving from Spain in Dec 2016. I paid $5,687 (includes balcony room, flight, gratuities and transfer post) for three of us on the Symphony. I checked the prices and today for a balcony ONLY room not including anything else the price is $7,091. It really is a hit or miss and you have to watch the prices, even after you book they will adjust.

I hope she got two balcony rooms! Should have booked two rooms to begin with. This is the reason I can’t bring myself to use a TA .

Well we won't be using a TA again, that's for sure. I can easily do this myself.

I will hear back from my TA in a soon. I wish I was given the option to reserve two rooms in the first place. I'm really worried about RC charging me a change fee if we turn our quad into 2 rooms.

Well we won't be using a TA again, that's for sure. I can easily do this myself.

I will hear back from my TA in a soon. I wish I was given the option to reserve two rooms in the first place. I'm really worried about RC charging me a change fee if we turn our quad into 2 rooms.

Truly, if you are charged 100 or 200$ more for the change. Do it. Especially if you can get connecting rooms! It will make all the difference in your vacation.

We booked in February for a 7 day cruise on Oasis. We're also a family of 4 and I wasn't sure what an average 7 day cruise for 4 should cost. Several of my friends and their families were cruising with RCI this year (on Allure and Harmony) so I asked what they paid, so I'd have a baseline. Two friends were travelling during Easter and they both paid around $6000 for two rooms per family. Both families have 4 in their group (2 adults, 2 kids). I had another friend go later in April and only paid $4000 for 4.

When we started looking, I was seeing prices anywhere from $6500 to $7500. We could only go in late July and I was starting to accept that we wouldn't go, maybe we'd try for a cheaper time of year sometime. However, then I saw a GTY deal come up and we jumped at it. We have a neighbourhood balcony guarantee book for $4600. Pretty much a $2000 savings and worth it to us. We have only ever cruised once before with Disney and had an ocean view room. So we're happy to have a balcony and just to be on the ship. So I guess if a GTY room is an option, that's another way to try and save $$.

I keep looking for a deal where we can get two rooms but haven't found it yet. Either way, we feel like we'll be fine in the same room.

I tired of my TA as well. I booked our September '18 cruise directly with RC online. I check the prices daily to see if I can go from a GS to an OS for a pittance and if I can't I can't but at least I have CONTROL. I know that if I called my TA I would probably get a few hundred dollars OBC but really I don't want the hassle of having to do everything through her. Frankly, I hate to say it but nowadays you just don't need a TA at all.

OP, have you heard back from your TA yet?

Royal is still showing cabin 1700 available, category 3B. It’s a longer walk to elevators but has that great balcony and view from the stern.

Better yet, in my opinion, is an oceanview balcony (6608 cat 2D showing as available) with a cheaper promenade cabin right across the hall from it (6609 cat 1T showing as available) for a total of $4847 with taxes and fees. Royal is currently offering $125 OBC on the balcony cabin and $75 for the promenade cabin. So even if you were charged $200 change fee, which that other thread indicates you might not, you might still come out ahead and have 2 cabins.

Just a thought.

~ Judy

FYI - if OP booked this Nonrefundable deposit cabin more then 6 months out and received $100 from RC for booking a Nonrefundable deposit, OP will lose the $100 OBC from RC because the new booking is now inside six months.

Carla

Never mind just saw that OP booked this cruise in Feb, 5 months out, so no OBC for booking the Nonrefundable deposit.

Edited by golfpccc

I did hear back from my TA and she had RC on her other line. The rep she spoke with seemed very helpful. But in the end, to switch me to 2 cabins (double occupancy), RC would have had to charge me a $1,000 cancellation fee. The RC rep tried to get around it, but ultimately couldn't.

In the end, I decided I was done fishing around for another cabin. It was making my head spin. So we kept what we got.

Next time though, I will know better. No TA.

Thank you everyone for your help and input. I appreciate it!

1) still keep checking for potential upgrades to a Junior Suite

2) there are good TA's and there are bad TA's .... I am fortunate for some of the TA's I had in the past (brick & mortar and online) I received good to excellent services and some OBC's.

3) enjoy the cruise

Don't give up on all TA's. Sometimes they can get you deals that are not available with the cruise line. It does take some looking to find a good one.

I wish we could recommend travel agents on these boards, but it cannot be done because of the possibility of some agents coming on and recommending themselves.

Getting a good deal requires some knowledge of prices and perks, willingness to be flexible and to keep an eye on your booking, for reductions, added perks, etc. and some luck!

Here's what we do:

1) Subscribe to the Royal Carribean emails to keep track of the sales

2) Reserve your next cruise online. Bets choices of cabin and you have a credit onboard. And the earlier the cheaper.

If you're not sure, just book and transfer later to another date/ship/itinerary. You get to keep the onboard credit.

3) Since we're always sailing with Royal, wedesigned Cotsco as our travel agent (need you Costco member number). At least it gives you Costco credit.

4) Everytime there is a sale (specially if there is a kids sail free sale), call and ask for price adjustment (we usually end saving between 300$ and 600$ more)

5) Start looking 100 days before a cruise. Since cancellations have to be done 75-90 days before the cruise, sometimes you get a deal for an upgrade. We once got a junior suite for 500$ more than a balcony.

And dont forget to enjoy your cruise !