How do you get a great DEAL?

So hubby and I bought this cruise back in February - and we are leaving in July. We overpaid - I'm sure of it. It's us and our 2 kids on a oceanview balcony. I won't tell you what we paid, because quite frankly I'm embarrassed.

We thought this would be a cheap, easy way to vacation. Our kids are getting older and have separate interests. And a cruise would have something for everyone.

Anyway... I know many of you plan your cruises months, even years in advance and pay significantly less than what we did. I worry hubby won't want to do this again...

So can anyone share their secrets?

And just a quick sidebar - we can only travel in the summer. For the most part, July is our best month. I know - this is high peak time. But hubby is a teacher and we don't want our kids to miss school.

Thanks in advance!!!

Melissa

So hubby and I bought this cruise back in February - and we are leaving in July. We overpaid - I'm sure of it. It's us and our 2 kids on a oceanview balcony. I won't tell you what we paid, because quite frankly I'm embarrassed.

We thought this would be a cheap, easy way to vacation. Our kids are getting older and have separate interests. And a cruise would have something for everyone.

Anyway... I know many of you plan your cruises months, even years in advance and pay significantly less than what we did. I worry hubby won't want to do this again...

So can anyone share their secrets?

And just a quick sidebar - we can only travel in the summer. For the most part, July is our best month. I know - this is high peak time. But hubby is a teacher and we don't want our kids to miss school.

Thanks in advance!!!

Melissa

Basically watch prices on a daily basis. When you see something better, then call and get it reduced.

I don't know if there is a particular way to get a great deal, but I would try by regularly checking different cruises for the time period you like.

I like to try to book as early as possible when I see what I consider a good rate, and then call for an adjustment if the price goes down.

I booked in February for a cruise in October of this year, and if I were to book that same cruise today it would be nearly $1900.00 more!

Good luck with future planning and happy cruising!

we can only travel in the summer. For the most part, July is our best month. I know - this is high peak time.

This is the main problem. 1. You are in a oceanview balcony, one of the most expensive cabins on the ships unless you get Jr suite and above and 2. you are cruising during their peak time where prices are highest. It will be really tough to get an excellent deal.

I find good deals by booking WAY in advance and I cruise during hurricane season or off peak times like January or February or right after Spring Break.

It would be easier to help if you could let us know what ship/itinerary you are on and approximately how much you paid. One tip is that if the price goes down you can re-book to save the difference (as long as it's before final payment is due).

Book early. Prices tend to rise and some of the highest prices that I see are 4-8 months from sailing. Royal knows that most people plan their trips in this time period and raises their prices accordingly. If the cruise hasn’t sold well you can sometimes find cheaper prices 2-3 months prior to sailing. (After final payment)

July is peak sailing period for pricing.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

It would be easier to help if you could let us know what ship/itinerary you are on and approximately how much you paid. One tip is that if the price goes down you can re-book to save the difference (as long as it's before final payment is due).

You don't even have to rebook. You call Royal and they will give you the price adjustment (unless you booked through a TA then you have to call them)

In my opinion, booking that close to the cruise and the cruise being during the peak of summer, if you are in a oceanview balcony for 150.00 per night per person or less before taxes and fees, you havent really overpaid. I agree that its kinda hard to say without knowing what ship and a close estimate of how much you paid.

Some people can find oceanview balcony cabins on the newer ships for less than 100.00 per person per night. I have never been that lucky.

Ok, I'll spill.

I'm on a 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise on July 15th on Liberty of the Seas.

Total amount paid... $5485

And yes I booked with a TA because she was a friend and I have never booked a cruise before. And the cruise is paid in full as of last month.

Oh and I want to add - we were worried an interior room with Pullman's wouldn't "fit" our family. My son is 15 and close to 6 feet tall. And eats anything in sight. So when my TA said would a sleeper sofa work, I thought... sure! That sounds better than my son sleeping above me. Eeek!

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can upgrade even after final payment if you see a higher cabin category that is near the price you originally paid. Perhaps you could upgrade to a suite if you see price drops before your cruise. Might take the sting out of feeling you paid too much if you're able to do this.

On a side note, our schedule typically forces us to cruise only in June and July. I feel your pain on the high prices in summer time!

Ok, I'll spill.

And yes I booked with a TA because she was a friend and I have never booked a cruise before. And the cruise is paid in full as of last month.

That cruise right now is 5425.84 for two adults and two children in a oceanview balcony cabin. You really havent overpaid. Its the time of year you are cruising. :(

That cruise right now is 5425.84 for two adults and two children in a oceanview balcony cabin. You really havent overpaid. Its the time of year you are cruising.

Wow! Well, that makes me feel a bit better!

Let's say I want to cruise again - can I, hypothetically speaking, get a better deal if I plan a cruise now for July of 2019 or 2020?

Please try to relax and enjoy your vacation. That price is what I would expect for the time of year. I get bargains by booking late and having more flexibility, plus I live close to a port. It's a supply and demand price structure and there are a lot of people in your same boat in terms of needing to book in July. It is what it is. If it helps, I'm sure a week at Disney in July, all inclusive of meals, would be as least as much if not more. And while I love Disney, I would never go in July.

We book 18 months in advance to get the best price, and then watch prices weekly to find a reduction in cabin price. We then call our TA if we found a better price and have the new rate applied. Also the best added deals are from the TA. They have prices close or equal to the cruise line but it is the perks they offer. We use a online TA that throws in pre paid grats, added obc, and a specialty dinner. We also cruise only on off peak times of the year.

Ok, I'll spill.

Have your travel agent call Royal. I just checked and a balcony cabin 2D for 2 people is $2764. See if they will allow you to get 2 cabins without any penalties. It would only be an extra $64 and you would get double the space, 2 bathrooms and a proper bed for all.

Did your travel agent suggest getting 2 cabins (they should have) it is usually comparable in price to fitting 4 in one room.

Wow! Well, that makes me feel a bit better!

Let's say I want to cruise again - can I, hypothetically speaking, get a better deal if I plan a cruise now for July of 2019 or 2020?

Probably not by much but it depends on cabin category and the ship itself. :( I just looked at Harmony of the Seas for around the same time next year on a Eastern cruise and for two adults and two children its 5688.00 for a oceanview balcony. A lot newer and bigger ship though that Liberty :)

My advice would be to book when you feel comfortable with the price you are paying and watch the price/promotions to see if you can get a better deal before final payment. Keep in mind though that sometimes the sales work out in your favor and other times they don't. We were able to save $150 and get an extra $25 in OBC with the current promotion for a cruise next year, but a cruise we have booked for 2020 has gone up almost $300. We also only cruise during spring break or summer. We actually were able to get a great deal on Allure for June of this year over President's Day weekend ($600 PP inside guarantee) so the deals are out there if you are lucky enough to stumble on to one.

Summer is the most expensive time to cruise the Caribbean, that is true. So no way around that. So the price you are paying is probably about right. As stated above, book early as that is when the lowest rates may be found. Check pricing often-you can always have they reprice you with better rates Also see if 2 balcony rooms are cheaper than 4 to one room or maybe do 1 balcony and 1 inside room to cut the price.

For your next July cruise, may consider booking 2 insides/OV rather than 1 balcony, either book well in advance (price more certain) or within 30-45 days (less certain on price .. could be lucky to find one sailing not selling well but for a July cruise more likely not the case), a cruise line that is less popular for families, consider August maybe towards second half of August if permitted.

Check price daily!

Have your travel agent call Royal. I just checked and a balcony cabin 2D for 2 people is $2764. See if they will allow you to get 2 cabins without any penalties. It would only be an extra $64 and you would get double the space, 2 bathrooms and a proper bed for all.

Did your travel agent suggest getting 2 cabins (they should have) it is usually comparable in price to fitting 4 in one room.

THIS! Do this, at least try... best advice if you are not going save $, you will want that extra space and bathroom with kids... been there, never gonna do that again. The cabins do not have to be adjoining, not that big of a deal. I had my teenagers at the time in their own cabin across the hall and it was such a more enjoyable trip than us in one cabin. Just my two cents for having been there...

1. Book as early as possible, even two years in advance or when bookings open and out a deposit

2. Week to week prices can drop, even in the summer

3. Pick a cheaper cabin, like an Ocean view or Inside

4. Look at Carnival, Norwegian, and MSC cruise lines for the better deals right now

If you're on a budget you need to look at perks each line offers. If you were to book a Family Balcony on the Norwegian Getaway the same day to the Western Caribbean, you could have gotten 2 drink packages included for you and your husband as well as a couple nights of specialty dining all for only $100 more. It could save you over a $1000 if you plan on buying the Cheers drink package on Carnival. If you don't drink then it wouldn't matter just remember that you need to shop around and shop early.

I don't think they did suggest two rooms. Although this would be ideal! However, our youngest is 10 and she won't get along with her brother for extended periods of time. Especially if the room isn't connected. Our son tho is 15 and would prefer to not have his little sister hanging around. But that is a great deal and seems more worth it than cramming all of us in one room.