Getting to the Elation

blarko

I’ve never cruised out of Jacksonville and know nothing about the area. How far is the port from the airport? Is there another airport to fly in/out of? What is the earliest I could book a return flight after the cruise? Thinking of booking the Elation but want to check flights before I pull the trigger.

Best thing to do would be fly in a day before, find a hotel near the airport that offers a shuttle to the port. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn and the Hyatt Place previously and they both offered a shuttle to the port and were there to take us back at the end of the cruise. The cruise port is around 12 miles from the airport. You could probably get a mid day return flight so you're not rushing to get back. Depending on the day, Jacksonville traffic can be bad.

I’ve never cruised out of Jacksonville and know nothing about the area. How far is the port from the airport? Is there another airport to fly in/out of? What is the earliest I could book a return flight after the cruise? Thinking of booking the Elation but want to check flights before I pull the trigger.

I see you live in Cleveland, I'm assuming Ohio? I'm originally from Canton, OH now living in Jacksonville. Jacksonville rush hour is pretty similiar to Cleveland's so considering the Elation docks about 8am you can pretty much double your travel time back to the airport. Jax port is about 20 mins in moderately heavy traffic from the airport & no there is not another airport, the closest are Brunswick, GA & Gainesville, FL both about an hours drive from Jacksonville.

I see you live in Cleveland, I'm assuming Ohio? I'm originally from Canton, OH now living in Jacksonville. Jacksonville rush hour is pretty similiar to Cleveland's so considering the Elation docks about 8am you can pretty much double your travel time back to the airport. Jax port is about 20 mins in moderately heavy traffic from the airport & no there is not another airport, the closest are Brunswick, GA & Gainesville, FL both about an hours drive from Jacksonville.

Thank you! THAT is exactly the information I was looking for! And yes, Cleveland, Ohio! Go Cavs!

Do you think a 10:30 return flight is doable? It says on Carnival’s website not to book return flights before 11 am if using their transportation, but I would use Uber or Lyft. My last cruise (FLL) I had breakfast before leaving the ship and leisurely got off the ship, took a Lyft to the airport and was at my departing gate by 9:30 am. Wonder if JAX would be the same? We would be departing the ship on a Thursday.

For a 10:30 flight you would need to be at JAX by about 9:00 for check-in, TSA, etc. That translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration and into a taxi/Uber by about 8:30. Should be okay if you carry your bags off ahead of the crowd.

Good luck - have a great cruise! :)

For a 10:30 flight you would need to be at JAX by about 9:00 for check-in, TSA, etc. That translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration and into a taxi/Uber by about 8:30. Should be okay if you carry your bags off ahead of the crowd.

Good luck - have a great cruise! :)

Thanks for the response. I think I’m going to book the 11:45 flight, as I don’t want to be stressed or risk missing the 10:30 flight. One little hiccup in the debarkation process and I think I’d be taking a big risk and possibly miss the flight. Not really worth it to get home an hour earlier.

FYI - from the Elation debarkation flyer this past Saturday -

"Guests that have a flight departing out of Jacksonville Airport before 12:30 pm are considered early flights. Only choose Express Debarkation option (carry all your luggage off the ship) and please meet in the Cole Porter Club, Deck 9 aft, by 8 am."

FYI - from the Elation debarkation flyer this past Saturday -

"Guests that have a flight departing out of Jacksonville Airport before 12:30 pm are considered early flights. Only choose Express Debarkation option (carry all your luggage off the ship) and please meet in the Cole Porter Club, Deck 9 aft, by 8 am."

Thank you for this information. Very helpful!

I grew up in Cleveland and have lived in Jacksonville for 40 years. The cruise terminal is about 14 miles northeast of downtown Jacksonville--in the middle of nowhere. There are no homes nearby. You may have a hard time getting an Uber or Lyft. The port is about 12 miles southeast of the Jacksonville airport (JAX), and it is almost all freeway (I 295) to the airport. Unless there is a wreck, there should be no traffic congestion on the way to JAX. Traffic will be moving at 70 mph, and you should get to the airport in about 15 minutes. I think you should consider taking a taxi from the cruise terminal. Go to the Jacksonville Cruise Terminal website for taxi and shuttle information.

Since you have never been to this area, my other suggestion is not to just fly here to meet the cruise and fly right back. Why not spend a few days in Northeast Florida and/or the golden isles of Georgia before or after the cruise? The airport is not far from Amelia Island and the Golden Isles--a great vacation area with wonderful beaches and golf courses. Or you could go south to PonteVedra Beach (did you see the TPC golf tournament that was played there last weekend?) It is about 20 miles southeast of downtown Jacksonville. Another 20 miles south is St. Augustine, the oldest city in the US with lots to see and do. My final suggestion is to just skip the cruise and come to Northeast Florida, particularly if you are a golfer or enjoy the beach.

Edited by robert2
omitted words

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the response. I think I’m going to book the 11:45 flight, as I don’t want to be stressed or risk missing the 10:30 flight. One little hiccup in the debarkation process and I think I’d be taking a big risk and possibly miss the flight. Not really worth it to get home an hour earlier.

Crap! So I booked the 11:45 flight a few weeks ago. Yesterday in my email was a notice from Delta that my flight itinerary has changed and now departs at 11:18 am. I know it’s less than a half hour but now I’m nervous about making that time. Wonder why they did that so far out (September 6).