From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn

There was no “American” style sausage served on this ship! We all (Americans) thought those sausages were English or German style. There was nothing that remotely resembled our Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans style breakfast sausage. Could they have been Australian Style?

Why on earth would you think that. "Limp, grey sausage" is English style?

I'm sorry I am a lurker but you have written about so many things that did not meet up to YOUR standards, so I have to question why you would book more cruises on Seabourn given all your complaints from servers at breakfast to not liking the food. in the MDR and elsewhere Why not go on another line, I know you are critical of other lines you have sailed with but it seems like you had a lot of complaints on this cruise so why not keep trying another until you find what makes you happy?

I'm sorry I am a lurker but you have written about so many things that did not meet up to YOUR standards, so I have to question why you would book more cruises on Seabourn given all your complaints from servers at breakfast to not liking the food. in the MDR and elsewhere Why not go on another line, I know you are critical of other lines you have sailed with but it seems like you had a lot of complaints on this cruise so why not keep trying another until you find what makes you happy?

No cruise has been perfect. Some have been closer than others. In my experience with Seabourn cruises this was the worst. In the past it has been the best (for me). I'd like to think this cruise was an aberration rather than a portent of things to come (though from talk on the ship even pre-muster drill it is).

As for trying other luxury lines - SeaDream was interesting but I'm not going to roll the dice on the owner/friends (or families with sub adult children) being on board (also you have what two destinations - either Caribbean or Med?).

Hapag Lloyd would be the remaining luxury line then? The one write up I saw of that was interesting.

River cruising? Maybe.

I'm sorry I am a lurker but you have written about so many things that did not meet up to YOUR standards, ?

Who else's standards matter? Of course this is about the thread starter's standards. It's his own trip report.

Our next stop was Hakodate. This would turn out to be my most expensive stop (RIP sunglasses:()

Today we were going to a morning market and then to a star fort (similar to Fort McHenry in Maryland). We were also going to a the Goryakaku tower which has excellent views of the fort and surrounding city.

Our bus dropped us off in a parking lot where a Land Cruiser from the "can actually go off road and be worked on outside a dealership) era had taken up residence.

i-QvQ7SBx-XL.jpg

You don't see line density like this around here

i-BKVNv9C-XL.jpg

Across the street from our drop off point was the market

i-PsQtTkv-XL.jpg

Maybe a little too early in the morning to run into this guy.

i-PzFWrJ6-XL.jpg

The squid was a mascot for a game you could pay to play where you were given a rod to catch a squid. Once you caught it staff would prepare it for you and you ended up with some very fresh squid sushi.

i-c39pnpr-XL.jpg

i-K3WtVqZ-XL.jpg

One lucky player, one not so lucky squid.

i-bpqKwML-XL.jpg

The market had food vendors

i-79LZFJ7-XL.jpg

Fresh and not so fresh seafood

i-NrZ6Ghz-XL.jpg

And happy corn.

i-6BPRtn6-XL.jpg

A few of the ports had signs like these

i-fCrRgff-XL.jpg

We were however a day late. Oops.

i-TvzsCBR-XL.jpg

There were multiple buildings comprising the market

i-Fk6q7Gq-XL.jpg

It started to get busy before we left

i-6C27NXZ-XL.jpg

I guess this is the place for those with an aversion to sushi. "It's cooked"

i-7gDMDJL-XL.jpg

After the park we were off to Goryakaku park and tower. The tower was easy to spot.

i-jVx9Pr2-XL.jpg

As was Godzilla

i-H3Gccht-XL.jpg

Spot the tower

i-wwSvZpW-XL.jpg

We started off in the fort and would finish in the tower.

i-dpwT747-XL.jpg

i-zZ7XHkM-XL.jpg

I think this may be the only time I'll ever see such a warning sign

i-nH8R5TK-XL.jpg

Over the moat and through the woods to grandmothers house we go

i-4VSpmwh-XL.jpg

Whereas the ice moat sign was aimed at locals and tourists this one seems to be very tourist specific.

i-mz6fDxK-XL.jpg

I wonder if the routing was left up from when the cherry blossoms were in bloom

i-f8k89jF-XL.jpg

Aside from the grounds themselves (supposed to be packed during the Cherry Blossom festival) the main attraction within the fort was the Magistrates building

i-FP5Txxj-XL.jpg

Aside from tourists it was fairly empty inside

i-wrQ4VRZ-XL.jpg

Can you hear me now?

i-n7qd2bz-XL.jpg

Due to the construction techniques used when this was first built the roof tiles all were slightly different shades (lack of consistency). When this was rebuilt they had to apply slightly different shades of color to recreate the effect.

i-mTsvt6g-XL.jpg

i-n69dW5q-XL.jpg

i-NsTWCKZ-XL.jpg

You can see the mountains in the distance

i-s4T6Krg-XL.jpg

The park also provides a little escape from the city

i-5HrhNjr-XL.jpg

i-4MjD3Xp-XL.jpg

It was not a small moat

i-zNGwHNt-XL.jpg

Upon returning to the tower from the park I found out that they take their no cannon zones very seriously. Someone parked their cannons in a no cannon zone and as a result they were being towed.

i-QZ7Xdpq-XL.jpg

i-tXknd6n-XL.jpg

Guide (repeating the same thing 4x): We'll take the elevator the the top of the tower. Then we walk down one flight of stairs to the second observation floor. Then you take the elevator down to the second floor. From the second floor you take the stairs down to the first floor (those with mobility issues could take the elevator all the way up and down).

Most of us: OK

One of us: What can you explain that again?

Guide: repeats instruction for the 5th time

Most of us::rolleyes:

One of us: I don't understand, we have to walk all the way down from the top?

Guide: repeats the same instruction for the 6th time

One of us: Well you could have said that to start with, you weren't very clear (The guide was crystal clear each time. All six of them.)

A few of us at that point did point out that the guide was very clear and not at fault in the situation. Whether the passenger was still confused or not I don't know but there thankfully was no seventh recitation of the instructions.

The view from the top was nice

i-xKrVt5x-XL.jpg

i-bH34bTW-XL.jpg

The ground floor had some vendors and seating areas as well as the requisite gift shop.

i-rhwvTXv-XL.jpg

A meandering mascot

i-gZ5FTdk-XL.jpg

And uhh...

i-vqkJgfP-XL.jpg

Quit clowning around

i-Sr5XxCp-XL.jpg

Dare I play vending machine roulette?

i-9zKHrsq-XL.jpg

Why not. It was a nice carbonated slightly sweet "cider".

i-NZ3fNDG-XL.jpg

Back on the ship it was time to enjoy some of the last bits of warmish outdoor weather before we began the crossing.

i-TkQwLWk-XL.jpg

You can even see the tower from the ship.

i-DbM4sfg-XL.jpg

Apparently it was a high traffic port

i-FhdgXN4-XL.jpg

i-SSGf2T3-XL.jpg

The days damage report:

i-v4cKFWh-XL.jpg

An Aperol Spritz courtesy of Nelson brought an end to the outdoor portion of the day.

i-ffRgxbN-XL.jpg

The tug came out to play but was sent home due to high winds. We would leave port hours later.

i-xBSjvWf-XL.jpg

Dinner was in the grill (trying to get reservations here became a bit of a challenge). At this point Michael Sandoval (one of Thomas Kellers chefs) was in charge of the food coming out of the grill and TK nights in the Colonnade. The difference between his versions and the Seabourn versions was sadly for some things night and day.

The crudite

i-cN4Tv46-XL.jpg

A sidecar

i-T38SZDS-XL.jpg

The Caesar salad. This is what a Caesar should be. I don't know why they can't make it a similar way on the rest of the ship. Of note for those afraid of raw eggs: They use pasteurized eggs. Apparently its harder to separate the yolk from the white on a pasteurized egg.

i-j7CPwn2-XL.jpg

A little shrimp cocktail. It was good and the only quibble is the lack of plate if you want to cut the things or rest them on a plate after taking a bite.

i-H6bkbkM-XL.jpg

A little pisco sour to cleanse the palate

i-SnkSpnC-XL.jpg

Their special bread (eat it when its warm) with the Vermont butter.

i-7KqqqCK-XL.jpg

They had a roast chicken on the menu that looked tempting, but there are limits and I think a whole chicken in addition to the crudite, pretzel & cheese sticks, the shrimp, the Caesar, the forthcoming potatoes, the drinks and an anticipated dessert might have been a bit much. When I mentioned this Sylvana mentioned that it would be no problem to do a half chicken.

i-nFxh6pL-XL.jpg

The plated chicken and jus

i-p7L52C4-XL.jpg

Apparently the last time I had the cake it had been served in the incorrect orientation (or it really doesn't matter)

i-nW2wbH7-XL.jpg

I'm not sure what this was about

i-3BrTpm9-XL.jpg

The gallery from Hakodate

Note to self: when using a Sony camera for food photography - don't sit at the first duo table in the Grill.

I think your food photography .... and especially your cocktails photography is excellent. I particularly like the chicken on the serving platter!

Out of interest, did you set the scenes up in any way or did you just take the photos as and when they arrived?

If I may offer a constructive criticism for some of the other - landscape and outdoor - photos, think about keeping the horizon straight where possible.

I absolutely adore the chicken in TK Grill. I can never quite believe that I'm raving about a meat as mundane as chicken but it's always been so good. I like it with Mac Cheese. And the TK carrots.

I haven't tried the shrimp. Must be sure to next time. Whenever next time will be.

That may have been a good time to be daring and try vending machine roulette. I don't see any sweat in that one.