Hyeres, France: Worthy of a visit from Toulon?

Karysa

We are stopping in Toulon in October and are looking for a DIY day to a nearby town that we can reach by public transportation. During my online research Hyeres came up as a viable option for such a day however I have searched pages here on this forum and I have yet to find a thread on it. I would really appreciate any first hand information from anyone that has visited Hyeres. Much thanks.:)

Hyeres and Bormes-les-Mimosas are two very good options out of Toulon if you are interested in beautiful medieval villages. Hyeres is about 30 minutes from Toulon and Bormes is 30 minutes further on.

Hyeres would make a nice DIY day by public transportation. Make sure you get off at the old town. It is surrounded by a modern town.

As with many small villages in the areas, Hyeres is not visited by excursions from mass-market ships, so you are unlikely to find much info here. However, Trip Advisor does have info on the Old Town.

Hyeres and Bormes-les-Mimosas are two very good options out of Toulon if you are interested in beautiful medieval villages. Hyeres is about 30 minutes from Toulon and Bormes is 30 minutes further on.

Hyeres would make a nice DIY day by public transportation. Make sure you get off at the old town. It is surrounded by a modern town.

As with many small villages in the areas, Hyeres is not visited by excursions from mass-market ships, so you are unlikely to find much info here. However, Trip Advisor does have info on the Old Town.

Do you remember visiting something that you enjoyed or was a great photo opportunity?

Do you remember visiting something that you enjoyed or was a great photo opportunity?

The entire villages are photo ops. Neither place has a large "must-see destination" in them. Go for the experience. You will be in one of the most beautiful parts of France.

If you go DIY, google "Hyeres tourism" or "Bormes-les-Mimosas tourism" That will get you to the local tourist websites and you will find walking maps, list of attractions, etc.

Thanks for the replys. It definely looks like the kind of place that we would like to explore.

Anybody take public transportation from Toulon while on a cruise? A restaurant or cafe recommendation?:)

The entire villages are photo ops. Neither place has a large "must-see destination" in them. Go for the experience. You will be in one of the most beautiful parts of France.

If you go DIY, google "Hyeres tourism" or "Bormes-les-Mimosas tourism" That will get you to the local tourist websites and you will find walking maps, list of attractions, etc.

Marazul, did you do the Seabourn excursion? We were looking at the excursions from Toulon today for our Ovation cruise in October and had picked that excursion as the one to do, it sounds very good.

ab21au-

I did both the excursion and visited a couple of times when we lived in France. Yes, we enjoyed the excursion. We took several tours on those cruises because we were traveling with friends who had not been in the area before.

I just checked the website and they offer you either Bormes, or Hyeres or St Tropez. No combinations. You might want to look at a private tour that combines two of those, like Hyeres and Bormes, or St. T and Bormes. The St Tropez excursion takes you also to Port Grimaud, not to old Grimaud which is beautiful. Port G is a modern development on the water that is gorgeous, but I prefer the real Grimaud up on the hills. You could do a tour to Grimaud, Port G and St T.

I've been to Hyeres. It's a really nice place to explore, with a hilly, pretty Old Town and an elegant, 19th century quarter that grew up when Hyeres was a winter tourist destination for the likes of Queen Victoria and Leo Tolstoy. No big headline sights, but some gorgeous architecture from all centuries and four "jardins remarquables" (outstanding gardens and parks). It's fairly easy to get to by train or bus from Toulon. More info: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/other-places/towns/hyeres/town-guide

• 2 weeks later...
I've been to Hyeres. It's a really nice place to explore, with a hilly, pretty Old Town and an elegant, 19th century quarter that grew up when Hyeres was a winter tourist destination for the likes of Queen Victoria and Leo Tolstoy. No big headline sights, but some gorgeous architecture from all centuries and four "jardins remarquables" (outstanding gardens and parks). It's fairly easy to get to by train or bus from Toulon. More info: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/other-places/towns/hyeres/town-guide

I can't seem to get this link to work.

Could you please double check that you are able to get it to work?

If so, I'll keep trying later.

Thank you!

GC

ab21au-

I did both the excursion and visited a couple of times when we lived in France. Yes, we enjoyed the excursion. We took several tours on those cruises because we were traveling with friends who had not been in the area before.

I just checked the website and they offer you either Bormes, or Hyeres or St Tropez. No combinations. You might want to look at a private tour that combines two of those, like Hyeres and Bormes, or St. T and Bormes. The St Tropez excursion takes you also to Port Grimaud, not to old Grimaud which is beautiful. Port G is a modern development on the water that is gorgeous, but I prefer the real Grimaud up on the hills. You could do a tour to Grimaud, Port G and St T.

Thanks for the reply. We did both Port Grimaud, old Grimaud up on the hill and also St Tropez on our Encore cruise last year so have those covered. I will investigate private tours but may fall back on the SB tour to Bormes and from what you and others have said, I’m sure we won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. We did both Port Grimaud, old Grimaud up on the hill and also St Tropez on our Encore cruise last year so have those covered. I will investigate private tours but may fall back on the SB tour to Bormes and from what you and others have said, I’m sure we won’t be disappointed.

Bormes alone or Bormes and Hyeres would be great. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Enjoy!

• 4 months later...
On 5/26/2018 at 4:08 PM, marazul said:

Bormes alone or Bormes and Hyeres would be great. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Enjoy!

Marazul, thank you so much for the tips. We are currently on the way back to the ship from Bormes. What a fabulous time we had there, very special. Thanks