Cruising from Civitavecchia

billtba

We are on a cruise that departs on August 31st and we choose a hotel that Celebrity does a transfer from. Last year we cruised out of Amsterdam and used the Celebrity transfers. The reason I liked it was we gave them our bags at 9:00am and were on the ship in 30 minutes. Beat the lines. This time the pickup is at 8:00am so we should be on the ship by 9:30. Will do almost anything to get our vacation started as early as possible.

So, what hotel would that be in Civitivecchia please? Thanks.

So, what hotel would that be in Civitivecchia please? Thanks.

Celebrity does not offer transfers from Civitavecchia Hotels.

Judging by the mentioned time (about an hour), I think korryp is talking about a hotel in Rome.

If you are interested in a hotel in Civitavecchia try the San Giorgio:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Hotels/IT-Civitavecchia-San-Giorgio/it-civitavecchia-san-giorgio.html

The hotel offers a shuttle to the port. You could even walk the distance.

Done it several ways, but for us the best option and if you want to add to your experience, the last couple of times we have flown the day before and stayed in Civitavecchia the night before.

We use the Hotel Bogo del Mare, they do an all inclusive package circa £260 for room, dinner and private pickup from airport, transfer to ship and private pick up from terminal to Rome airport on disembarkation day. Not 5* but totally Italian, superb food and run by a lovely guy called Allasandra.

Will be repeating the experience at the end of this month.

I am researching for a possible cruise on the Celebrity Reflection out of Civitavecchia in August. I would like to fly into Rome the day before the cruise and then head straight for the port, which i see is about 80 miles away, and stay overnight to board the next day. I would like to see how others have handled the transport to the port and their experiences in picking a hotel for the night before the cruise

I think you might be confusing kilometers and miles. It only looks to be about 40 miles between the airport and the port. Arranging a car pick-up would be the best option.

We, too, stayed at the San Giorgio (nice and very close to the port). We took the train to Civitavecchia, but would probably take Miaminice's recommendation and take a transfer next time. The stop in Civitavecchia is very small; basically you just get off at a platform and wander into town dragging luggage. Not a big deal, but a less than romantic way to start vacation, especially if the weather is warm.

• 3 weeks later...

So, is there much to do in Civitavecchia for a day?

We will be in Rome at 10.30am, so we are torn between heading to the port and having a day there, or heading to Rome city centre and having a day walk around and head to port the next morning.

Civitavecchia seems to be a quiet port town, with basic hotels and not much to do by all accounts? But it would meant that one day in transit would be all we have to deal with, Dublin to Rome to port same day (after a 3am start) rather than Dublin to Rome one day and Rome to Civitavecchia on the second day.

I do think the Rome day could be more productive though, even if the hotels are more expensive.

I am researching for a possible cruise on the Celebrity Reflection out of Civitavecchia in August. I would like to fly into Rome the day before the cruise and then head straight for the port, which i see is about 80 miles away, and stay overnight to board the next day. I would like to see how others have handled the transport to the port and their experiences in picking a hotel for the night before the cruise

We cruised out of Civitavecchia last year and stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio. We booked it on line. They had a special for people who cruise They met us at the airport, transferred us to the Hotel. They were great and waited for us as it took us almost 3 hours to get our luggage when we arrived in Rome. The package we booked even included dinner at the in house restaurant. The transfer in the morning to the cruise ship was busy but well organized. I would highly recommend this hotel.

We are sailing from Civitavecchia in June.

We have booked a room at the Hotel San Giorgio in Civitavecchia for the night before the cruise. We were going to book a transfer from the airport to the hotel with Rome Cabs as we have used them before and they are very good. However, on this occasion the hotel offered airport transfers plus a port transfer the following morning at a significantly lower price so we have booked with them.

We stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio last year before our cruise. It was a great experience and a good value. The package we purchased included dinner at night and breakfast in the morning. They were very patient as it took us 3 hours to retrieve our luggage in Rome. Transfers were comfortable driver was great. You will enjoy your stay!

So, is there much to do in Civitavecchia for a day?

We will be in Rome at 10.30am, so we are torn between heading to the port and having a day there, or heading to Rome city centre and having a day walk around and head to port the next morning.

Civitavecchia seems to be a quiet port town, with basic hotels and not much to do by all accounts? But it would meant that one day in transit would be all we have to deal with, Dublin to Rome to port same day (after a 3am start) rather than Dublin to Rome one day and Rome to Civitavecchia on the second day.

I do think the Rome day could be more productive though, even if the hotels are more expensive.

Think of it this way doing Rome will cost you the cost of a hotel for 1-2 nights plus restaurants. You already have the transportation costs. Rome is simply a gorgeous city to wander in especially if you stay in the older part. Last fall we stayed in a small B&B (Garibaldi Suites, 5 rooms, Katia the Manager can arrange anything) near the Spanish steps. Close to metro and easy to walk many sites. Vatican, Parthenon, Trevi, lots of great budget or pricey restaurants whatever your flavour. I would recommend 2 nights and really enjoy Rome before your cruise, you will not regret the extra expense.

We stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio last year before our cruise. It was a great experience and a good value. The package we purchased included dinner at night and breakfast in the morning. They were very patient as it took us 3 hours to retrieve our luggage in Rome. Transfers were comfortable driver was great. You will enjoy your stay!

So, everyone had to wait three hours? Wow, not fun indeed! We took a private car and arrived at San Georgia Hitel in 45 minutes, but we had to wait hours for our room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I stayed one night at Hotel De Ville. It is next to the train station, which was convenient considering I took the train from the airport. I had a large corner room with an ocean view. The breakfast was good. No safe in the room, and the bed was uncomfortable. That didn’t bother me since I was jet lagged and was only there for one night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums