WiFi packages - pricing and speed

Baby_Bear

On our Horizon cruise in 3 months, we are interested in the WiFi packages. Most likely, the mid-tier value one seems to be best. My question was - for people who recently took the package, what was your experience in terms of speed? The website says the speed is faster than the social package, but was looking for user experiences. Do most websites, email, etc. download quickly? Just wondering if it was fine or should we look at the premium package.

Also - do these packages ever go on sale? Thanks.

Expect snail speed, took me 20 minutes to do one email and send it.

faster than their slowest pkg is still slightly better than dial up.

I dont have the patience, i get on wifi in the ports where you have regular speed wifi.

Ive thought about buying a small pkg and then they told me i had to pay 5.95 or whatever as a set up fee.

I just got back from the Sunshine on 4/22. I prepaid for the premium which was not great. Guest services told me the signal all comes from the same satellite so there is no speed difference. I requested a refund from Carnival, awaiting their reply. The Carnival hup app chat feature was also worthless. That said, I only got the internet for emergency use and enjoyed the cruise. Bob from NJ

I used the most expensive package on the Sunshine over Christmas and it was terrible. I had the same experience the previous year with the mid-priced package so I upgraded.....waste of money. The first time they did refund my money and left the service on, but this last time I got the usual excuses...."it's Christmas and everyone is using it". We cruise again in September and no doubt I will go with the mid-rate package just for emergency contact. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed!

The price is exactly the same - $10.25 per day for the midrange value package for advance orders. I think Carnival would get pushback if they started charging different rates for internet access on different ships.

That said, I'm interested in what you said about a new faster wifi system on the Horizon. Hopefully, Horizon pax will be able to provide their feedback as more people sail on her. Might be worth it if it really is faster. Otherwise, I'll just use the free WiFi at the ports. 20 mins to send an email sounds terrible!

Current reviews I’ve read from people on the Horizon stated it’s the Best Internet service they’ve had on any ship. Very Fast

No problems with emails or downloading photos

• 2 months later...

Can you purchase just a 24 hr package on the Horizon, I don't see it listed. I need it just to print our SW boarding passes. On my last cruise I bought the Social Plan and it was terrible. I went to customer service on the third day to tell them it was taking much too long to get on. I told them I was testing it to see how it would work on the last day just to get my boarding passes, they gave me an upgrade on the last day for 24 hours just to get them and took me off the last few days of the Social Plan. I guess I could print them at the airport, I have never done that. We always have them in hand and do curbside check in, fast and easy. Any input on printing them at the airport...FLL.

I need it just to print our SW boarding passes.

Just buy the Southwest EarlyBird for your flight home - you get checked in before most of the other passengers so you can get good seats. Then print the paper boarding passes at kiosk at the airport.

A small price to pay for no stress and peace of mind.

I use it for every after cruise return flight

Just buy the Southwest EarlyBird for your flight home - you get checked in before most of the other passengers so you can get good seats. Then print the paper boarding passes at kiosk at the airport.

A small price to pay for no stress and peace of mind.

I use it for every after cruise return flight

Yes, this is what I had planned on doing either way (early bird) but I was worried about checking in at the kiosk at the airport. Once I do that then where do we go with our luggage?? To the SW counter?? It seems like there is always a long line at the counter when we have walked by it at FLL after checking in at the curb. We plan on self assist to get off the ship early and Uber to FLL from POM..our flight is at 11:35 am on a Saturday. Thanks for the help with this....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we’re on the Horizon and using the premium package as we speak. I have to say it is pretty good. Many apps could not be accessed. But YouTube can be streamed. Amazon music also. I have streamed the NY Yankees vs Red Sox game on Reddit. We are a family of five so we have one package and just use a Ravpower travel router so all five of use can be connected simultaneously on one package. We have used the Internet on cruises in the early 2000’s and it would take a minute to load one page.

Wifi is a joke on Carnival, they really need to step their game up here. On RCCL we were able to use Facetime to call back home, and the kids could watch Netflix. It was just like being on land. Meanwhile, Carnival's "wifi" reminds me of the old AOL dial up days...

I just got back from the Sunshine on 4/22. I prepaid for the premium which was not great. Guest services told me the signal all comes from the same satellite so there is no speed difference.

There are likely two differences:

1) The QoS (Quality of Service) is probably set to favor the premium plans over the lesser plans. If nobody's using the Internet much, you won't notice. But if everyone is using it, the data streams to and from the premium plans will get preference.

2) Certain data-hungry sites will probably be blacklisted on the middle plan.

Hi we’re on the Horizon and using the premium package as we speak. I have to say it is pretty good. Many apps could not be accessed. But YouTube can be streamed. Amazon music also. I have streamed the NY Yankees vs Red Sox game on Reddit. We are a family of five so we have one package and just use a Ravpower travel router so all five of use can be connected simultaneously on one package. We have used the Internet on cruises in the early 2000’s and it would take a minute to load one page.

If it's not too nosy, what apps couldn't you access? Thanks for providing first-hand experience on the Horizon. We'll need to know this when we sail next year.

First off, Facetime works fine. We are cord cutters at home and use PlayStation Vue for TV back at home. I couldn’t use that app to stream yankees game. Fox sports app also. All of the kids game apps works fine and as we speak the kids are on YouTube in the marketplace after a hot and humid day in old San Juan. Also you could just access web pages if an app doesn’t work. Cheaper to buy pre cruise and get a travel router. I think I saw Hootoo on Amazon for about $20. I’m using ravpower.

Yes, this is what I had planned on doing either way (early bird) but I was worried about checking in at the kiosk at the airport. Once I do that then where do we go with our luggage?? To the SW counter?? It seems like there is always a long line at the counter when we have walked by it at FLL after checking in at the curb. We plan on self assist to get off the ship early and Uber to FLL from POM..our flight is at 11:35 am on a Saturday. Thanks for the help with this....

Curbside can print your boarding passes for you when you check in.

• Like 1

First off, Facetime works fine. We are cord cutters at home and use PlayStation Vue for TV back at home. I couldn’t use that app to stream yankees game. Fox sports app also. All of the kids game apps works fine and as we speak the kids are on YouTube in the marketplace after a hot and humid day in old San Juan. Also you could just access web pages if an app doesn’t work. Cheaper to buy pre cruise and get a travel router. I think I saw Hootoo on Amazon for about $20. I’m using ravpower.

Thanks! Good to know. I never heard the term cord cutters, but I asked my husband what it meant, and I guess we are too. When I read him your post about using a travel router, he gave his head a smack and said, Why didn't we ever think to do that.

Do you have any info on how the Hub app/chat feature works on horizon? I am looking forward to kids not being able to use internet....but I want them to stay connected to me, lol.

Do you have any info on how the Hub app/chat feature works on horizon? I am looking forward to kids not being able to use internet....but I want them to stay connected to me, lol.

If you’re buying the internet package just download WhatsApp and create a group chat for the family is free rather than paying $5 for the hub app chat and besides if you close the app u won’t get the messages unless the app is running in the background , also the internet speed on the horizon is one of the best my kid watched YouTube videos FaceTime people on sea days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums