Viking Ocean: ship time or port time?

CruisingCattie

I am new to cruising and am getting ready to take my first cruise this summer. I understand some cruise lines use “ship time” rather that local time zones at various ports of call. Does Viking use ship time or local time? It would be helpful to know when planning excursions. Thanks

Only the entry level cruise lines (such as Carnival) that assume that their passengers would not have the travel sophistication to understand and adapt to changes in time stay on "ship's time" when visiting ports.

Any cruise line above that level will change time to match the time in port.

Only the entry level cruise lines (such as Carnival) that assume that their passengers would not have the travel sophistication to understand and adapt to changes in time stay on "ship's time" when visiting ports.

Any cruise line above that level will change time to match the time in port.

It sounds like a very confusing way of doing things to me.......

It sounds like a very confusing way of doing things to me.......

Viking uses local time on board the ship so that you will not be confused while you are in port; your clocks will match any that you see in town.

You will be told when you need to change your clocks. Like daylight savings time, you will be reminded to change your timepieces before going to bed; it will be in the Viking daily.

Smart phones will change time automatically only if you connect to the local cell network. (I keep my phone on airplane mode, so it doesn't connect to the network and thus does not update the time at all; but DH wears a watch and I let him worry about it).