Royal IQ or walkie talkies on Harmony?

We will be sailing with a group of 15 family members on July 14 Harmony. In the past we have used walkie talkies to find each other on a big ship with mixed results. Wondering if Royal IQ apps would be better? Do we need to have everyone sign up for wifi (which would be too expensive) to text each other on Royal IQ?

No, you would just need to buy the texting option within the app at $8 each.

Biker, thank you for this info. I've never heard of this before. We're sailing with a group of eight and none of us really want to buy wi-fi (I'm trying to get away from work, not allow it to follow me!). So, if we don't buy wi-fi or use any of our cell data, we can still use texting to the others in our party for $8/person for the entire week?

Biker, thank you for this info. I've never heard of this before. We're sailing with a group of eight and none of us really want to buy wi-fi (I'm trying to get away from work, not allow it to follow me!). So, if we don't buy wi-fi or use any of our cell data, we can still use texting to the others in our party for $8/person for the entire week?

What ship are you on?

So, if we don't buy wi-fi or use any of our cell data, we can still use texting to the others in our party for $8/person for the entire week?

Yes, it is an in app purchase inside the Royal IQ app and it is available on Harmony. The texting is not integrated into the texting app of the phone - it is only inside the Royal IQ app itself.

Do you think this works better than walkie talkies to meet up with family on the ship? My husband wants to use walkie talkies again but I think Royal IQ is better option. We are on Harmony

Do you think this works better than walkie talkies to meet up with family on the ship? My husband wants to use walkie talkies again but I think Royal IQ is better option. We are on Harmony

We've had poor luck with walkie talkies. Once we get separated by several decks, communication was poor to non-existent.

We just used the app a few months ago with a large group, Much better than walkie talkies. Being able to just leave a message with someone or a group is so much easier than waiting for a response on the walkies. There are a few things Royal could do to make texting easier, but it’s still the best option out there

My husband wants to use walkie talkies again but I think Royal IQ is better option. We are on Harmony

If everyone has iPhones, then you may not need to buy anything- iMessage texts go through just by connecting to the ship ‘s WiFi.

But wouldn't we all have to pay for wifi?

No, there is a bug in the firewall programming on ships that support the Royal IQ texting option. All you do is connect to the ship's WiFi (this is free), and iMessage works. At least this is the way it's been for a while now. Who knows if they have fixed it yet.

I have tried RCI's web site for a FAQ on this but not getting very far so appreciate your help. There will be a dozen including a few wee ones, in three groups and would like to keep in touch with the other groups so make sure everyone, and who is looking after who, is on track. The Royal IQ app for text only sounds perfect.

Just found https://www.royalcaribbean.com/royaliq and see it is not on Explorer unfortunately

So what other options (some iphone, some not) are there? I assume buy wifi package and some app on the phone such as Skype? $20 day X3 seems like a lot for an occasional message but if no other alternative then maybe depending on comfort level

I have tried RCI's web site for a FAQ on this but not getting very far so appreciate your help. There will be a dozen including a few wee ones, in three groups and would like to keep in touch with the other groups so make sure everyone, and who is looking after who, is on track. The Royal IQ app for text only sounds perfect.

Just found https://www.royalcaribbean.com/royaliq and see it is not on Explorer unfortunately

So what other options (some iphone, some not) are there? I assume buy wifi package and some app on the phone such as Skype? $20 day X3 seems like a lot for an occasional message but if no other alternative then maybe depending on comfort level

If the phones do WiFi calling, then no additional app is needed, you can text using the normal phone texting capability using th ship's internet service.

We will be sailing with a group of 15 family members on July 14 Harmony. In the past we have used walkie talkies to find each other on a big ship with mixed results. Wondering if Royal IQ apps would be better? Do we need to have everyone sign up for wifi (which would be too expensive) to text each other on Royal IQ?

OK...So My Family of four will be on the same cruise.....Lets meet at the Carousel at 3pm on Day 1...And you can explain to me what all this means!

See you there! (maybe///probably)

If the phones do WiFi calling, then no additional app is needed, you can text using the normal phone texting capability using th ship's internet service.

Sorry, I'm a smart phone challenged person. How can you be connected to the ship's internet service if you don't buy a VROOM package?

Edited by lindalo5032

Sorry, I'm a smart phone challenged person. How can you be connected to the ship's internet service if you don't buy a VROOM package?

Connecting to the WiFi signal is free. But you won’t have any outside internet access. The only thing you’ll be able to do is use the royalIQ app (if you downloaded before you sailed) or if you have Apple devices you can text/iMessage each other. If you try to connect to an outside website you’ll just be rerouted to a screen asking for a passcode (which you only get if you buy the service)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange as it may seem, internet access and WiFi are two different things. WiFi connects you to a network, which may or may not have internet access. Royal does not charge to connect to the WiFi, and they even give you very limited internet access (RC websites) without purchasing VOOM.

Strange as it may seem, internet access and WiFi are two different things. WiFi connects you to a network, which may or may not have internet access. Royal does not charge to connect to the WiFi, and they even give you very limited internet access (RC websites) without purchasing VOOM.

Hi Bob,

My family is going on Allure in July. I plan on getting the Voom package for myself on my iPhone. But others don't want to buy it and have a Android cell. Will they be able to use text on a RC app so we can communicate on the ship?

Thanks

Hi Bob,

My family is going on Allure in July. I plan on getting the Voom package for myself on my iPhone. But others don't want to buy it and have a Android cell. Will they be able to use text on a RC app so we can communicate on the ship?

Thanks

No, there is no texting app for Allure.

Options are to use Cellular at Sea and pay $0.50 per text sent, or buy VOOM for each device.

No, there is no texting app for Allure.

Options are to use Cellular at Sea and pay $0.50 per text sent, or buy VOOM for each device.

okay thanks for the info. Kind of sucks there's no better app for Allure with texting features. Oh well, won't stop me from having fun lol.

Thanks Bob.

okay thanks for the info. Kind of sucks there's no better app for Allure with texting features. Oh well, won't stop me from having fun lol.

Thanks Bob.

You're welcome.