Chair Hogs New Low

Royal enforces the rules they want to I have seen it too many times pool chairs seats in the music hall. I had security give me a hard time because a Indian woman want to sit in a chair I was saving as my DW went to the restroom she went to a SG who was indian and I was the one who was harassed from royal security.

After all those years one would think the cruise lines would have arrived at a solution in cancelling the annoying daily ''chair hog'' show.

Just a thought...

Perhaps if all of us e-mail our suggestions 'how to deal with chair hogs' directly to the respective cruise lines may (perhaps) help them in solving this " Chair - Hog" dilemma ?

Just a thought....

Edited by oldguysandgalls

I never sit by the pool -- always in the shade (I'm a redhead -- I *need* shade!) But shade is at a premium and hard to find, even if nowhere near the pool (also needs to not be within breathing distance of the smoking area).

I would love to see more shady areas -- I would have no problem being on the top deck, away from the pool, if there were shade there. I can walk to the pool or hot tub as needed from there!

I'm with you! I am *irisheileen* and MUST have shade and it's hard to find on ships, beaches, resorts. It's not just that I burn, I have a skin condition where I must stay out of the sun. I am always prepared with long sleeved SPF shirts and pants. It gets hot!

I'm with you! I am *irisheileen* and MUST have shade and it's hard to find on ships, beaches, resorts. It's not just that I burn, I have a skin condition where I must stay out of the sun. I am always prepared with long sleeved SPF shirts and pants. It gets hot!

Yes, chairs in the shade are hard to find whether on a cruise or on land. We went to our first all inclusive resort last summer, in Mexico, and I did plenty of research to make sure we chose a resort where they had many shaded loungers. Like on a ship, we weren’t picky about location because we can just walk a few extra feet to get to the pool. They give you an hour out of your chair at a resort, as opposed to the 30 minutes on the ships, to be out of your chair before it’s considered “being saved”. Most likely because at the resorts there is usually a swim up bar and people like to spend a good amount of time there. Like on the ships, it is rarely enforced and they won’t move any personal belongings, so people literally place one flip flop on a chair to “reserve it”. Sometimes when they leave the resort for an excursion for several hours!

Next summer we are going to Punta Cana and the resort we are staying at has umbrellas for every lounger, so you can keep the umbrella closed for sun or open for shade. So no worries, we will get to sit in the shade and be able to lounge all day if we want.

Simple solution: Steal their towels! They'll be charged $25 each time. Dont reckon they'll be saving their chairs for much longer after that

The towel charge is a start in making an effort to deter people from saving chairs with a towel. Although it doesn’t really seem to be working. Chair hogs will be chair hogs.

Did I meet you on Grandeur in August?????

:D

We don't have a problem getting chairs. Our service dog's specific skill is saving chairs for us. We like to sit by the pool, and having to search for chairs causes anxiety. So this is a medical issue. Before going to bed we put his vest on him, and send him up. He lays across two loungers and waits for us to come claim the chairs. Good boy. This is also how we get front row seats for shows.

Hey I'm Italian and fairly olive skinned, and I cling to the shade like a vampire. I'm with you, and I don't even have your medial condition.

After all those years one would think the cruise lines would have arrived at a solution in cancelling the annoying daily ''chair hog'' show.

Just a thought...

Perhaps if all of us e-mail our suggestions 'how to deal with chair hogs' directly to the respective cruise lines may (perhaps) help them in solving this " Chair - Hog" dilemma ?

Just a thought....

Chair hogs are not a problem for them, it is a problem for us. If they wanted to end it, they would. It's not ignorance of what to do, it is apathy. They want to show enough effort to pacify upset passengers and show reasonable care, but they do not want to upset he passengers doing the saving.

If they decide to take action, the most likely solution is "Paid Reservations" for chairs, like land resorts. There will be free chairs, first come first serve, and then reserved sections for a fee. Other lines have already started this with premium pool areas.

Chair hogs are not a problem for them, it is a problem for us. If they wanted to end it, they would. It's not ignorance of what to do, it is apathy. They want to show enough effort to pacify upset passengers and show reasonable care, but they do not want to upset he passengers doing the saving.

If they decide to take action, the most likely solution is "Paid Reservations" for chairs, like land resorts. There will be free chairs, first come first serve, and then reserved sections for a fee. Other lines have already started this with premium pool areas.

Water parks do this too.

Water parks do this too.

Although, the water parks you get a private area, loungers and chairs and table. Fridge or ice box. A tent like cover.

And at some, lunch.

These days, I do a cabana if I go to a water park.

Although, the water parks you get a private area, loungers and chairs and table. Fridge or ice box. A tent like cover.

And at some, lunch.

These days, I do a cabana if I go to a water park.

There are some ships with areas that have limited access, with a fee. They sell a certain amount of passes to the area and it is much less crowded. I’ve never tried it before, although we’ve gotten the thermal suite pass to have some peace and relaxation while the kids were doing the kids’ activities and we really enjoyed that. That’s a whole different experience than being in the sun though.

With all of the information about sun exposure and skin cancer, I don't understand people's perceived need to lay out in the sun and turn their skin to leather.

But then, I don't understand why people smoke.

I do, however, find chair hogs a source for towels that I can use to wring out my in-room laundry on longer cruises.

On Freedom right now out of San Juan...large groups of locals have taken over this cruise....no chance your system would/will work on this cruise....It's a madhouse frenzy (pools, dining areas & public venues even some that have brought on their own musical instruments...NO rules/policy on this cruise) unlike anything we've experienced on the many cruise's we've taken with RCI....:eek::eek::eek:

Ashland - please write up a review - I am curious about the Freedom out of San Juan.

I wish the cruise lines would put in shelves or lockers to put your stuff. Many people just want to use the pool or hot tub but have to put their stuff somewhere so they dump it on a chair.

It would be great if they could do this efficiently, like water parks. But they would need a ton of space because of so many people. Then we would see locker hogs! :')

Was on the Freedom of the Seas in August and they (pool attendants) were removing towels and such early in the morning from 7 am up till about 9 am, then you did not see them BUT they were there early morning....Lots of disappointed "chair hogs" came back to find their chairs, towels and other belongings gone.

This has been the only cruise I have ever seen it enforce (for a couple of am hours only)

I haven’t cruise in a few years, and on top of that, the last time I cruised on Royal Caribbean was in 1992. How does the towel charge work? Do you get towel cards like at a resort and exchange the cards for towels at the pool? And then have to return the towels to get your card back, or exchange the towels for fresh ones? And if you don’t have a towel to return, then you get charged $25, yes? I’ve never seen anything like this on a cruise ship before, only at the all inclusive resort we went to last year in Mexico. Upon checkout you had to return the towel cards or there would be a fee (forgot how much, we had our cards so it wasn’t a concern). At the resort they did remove towels from loungers but they didn’t touch anything if a personal item was on the chair, not even if it was one of those small towel clips.

You hand your Sea Pass and they scan it and enter the number of towels onto your account.

When you return them, they scan it again, and remove them from your account.

You can get as many as you want on your Sea Pass, but any that are not returned, are charged to your account at $25 per towel.

So make sure you use the same Sea Pass card to return them as you used to check them out.