What to Do....Need Help for pre-cruise San Juan.

43mpd902

I am currently planning a couples vacation with my wife and my brother and his wife. We are currently booked on RCCL in December, but plan on flying in the day before. I have scoured the web for places to stay, things to do, and ways to travel to each place. I think I have lost most of my hair and am going cross-eyed from researching this, so I am reaching out for help.

1st- I have currently booked a room/s at the Marriot Isla Verde for our pre-cruise hotel. Good, bad, indifferent on this hotel? Is the airport an issue? Seems like a good location to the airport and the beach, but not sure about the location for activities beyond the beach.

2nd- What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel, whether the Marriot or another one? Taxi, private shuttle or car service? What is the approximate costs for a Taxi to the Marriot for 4 people?

3rd- What is the best way to get to the Pan American Pier?

4th- Best activities to do in San Juan for a half day adventure without breaking the bank?

Please help if you can. Looking for any advice. I can not afford to lose anymore hair, a burnt scalp will not make for a fun vacation.:(

Thank you for all your help.

I am currently planning a couples vacation with my wife and my brother and his wife. We are currently booked on RCCL in December, but plan on flying in the day before. I have scoured the web for places to stay, things to do, and ways to travel to each place. I think I have lost most of my hair and am going cross-eyed from researching this, so I am reaching out for help.

1st- I have currently booked a room/s at the Marriot Isla Verde for our pre-cruise hotel. Good, bad, indifferent on this hotel? Is the airport an issue? Seems like a good location to the airport and the beach, but not sure about the location for activities beyond the beach.

2nd- What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel, whether the Marriot or another one? Taxi, private shuttle or car service? What is the approximate costs for a Taxi to the Marriot for 4 people?

4th- Best activities to do in San Juan for a half day adventure without breaking the bank?

Please help if you can. Looking for any advice. I can not afford to lose anymore hair, a burnt scalp will not make for a fun vacation.:(

We've stayed there many times. If you're going to be bothered by the noise of planes taking off and landing at the airport then you shouldn't stay at that hotel. We're used to it and pay no attention.

The hotel has a beautiful beach and pool area. The surf is generally pretty rough, so it's not a good beach for more than shallow wading. There's nothing else to do in the immediate area. If you go on the beach I recommend using insect repellent, especially on your legs. There can be the "no see um" sand fleas on the beach nipping at you.

Take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. It will be in the ballpark of $20...a bit more if you have more luggage.

Taxi is the best way to Pan American Pier. In the $25 range .

Having only one afternoon I think your best choices are either relaxing at the pool/beach or taking a taxi into Old San Juan to see the El Morro and San Cristobal forts and stroll around the old city.

We've stayed there many times. If you're going to be bothered by the noise of planes taking off and landing at the airport then you shouldn't stay at that hotel. We're used to it and pay no attention.

The hotel has a beautiful beach and pool area. The surf is generally pretty rough, so it's not a good beach for more than shallow wading. There's nothing else to do in the immediate area. If you go on the beach I recommend using insect repellent, especially on your legs. There can be the "no see um" sand fleas on the beach nipping at you.

Take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. It will be in the ballpark of $20...a bit more if you have more luggage.

Taxi is the best way to Pan American Pier. In the $25 range .

Having only one afternoon I think your best choices are either relaxing at the pool/beach or taking a taxi into Old San Juan to see the El Morro and San Cristobal forts and stroll around the old city.

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. Not sure on the noise, but it will be for one day.

We recently stayed at the hyatt house which was very very nice.

We used uber to get from airport to hotel and hotel to port.

Port is only 5 minutes ride from hotel.

We've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott - Isla Verde, on two separate occasions for one night pre-cruise. I'm guessing this is the Marriott you're referring to. We have been very happy with this choice. We chose this hotel since we wanted to spend an afternoon on the beach and the price was within what we wanted to spend. There are other ocean front hotels, especially in the Condado area (closer to Old San Juan), but they were a little pricey. Both times we just ate at the hotel. They have restaurants on site and they also have a beach bar/grille, which was really good. There is a breakfast buffet in the mornings.

The airport is right across that main road and we did hear noise, but that was mainly jets on the runway getting ready to take off. I don't remember hearing them in our room, either time, at night. The beach is very nice, wide, and the hotel provides loungers/umbrellas. There is also a VERY nice pool area that includes a swim-up bar. The water hasn't been rough either time we were there. The first time there were some waves but it was not what I'd consider "rough". The last time we were there the water was calm. It can get rough, but it will depend on timing.

Taxi to get from airport to hotel was a very short ride. There are set taxi rates based on zones (I'll attach link). There is a $2.00 surcharge for gas and $1.00 charge for each piece of luggage. https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/taxis/

To get from the hotel to the pier, we've always used a taxi. There will be taxi's at the hotel and once you check out, one of the guys working at the hotel has usually gone out and flagged a cab.

We've always boarded our ship first then have gotten back off to spend the day in Old San Juan. There is so much to see in Old San Juan that you can do for free or minimal charge. Old San Juan is beautiful with the colorful buildings and cobblestone streets, and we've enjoyed the forts both times for a minimal fee. Great views from both forts.

Edited by pghsteelerfan
Spacing (for some reason breaks between paragraphs are double spaced)

1) I would recommend you switch your hotel to the Sheraton Old San Juan, unless you plan to spend your (half) day at the beach.

You will spend more money on taxis or a car (and then parking fees) to get to other places, negating any savings you got for booking that hotel. If you want to just hang at the beach, stay where you’re at.

The Sheraton Old San Juan is in the heart of Old San Juan and within walking distance to the forts. That would be my suggestion of how to spend your day. If you stay in town, you can come and go from your hotel freely: go out to eat, go take a nap, go to the forts, go change clothes and go out to dinner or out dancing etc. without paying any cab fees. There is easily a full day of two worth of sightseeing to do in Old San Juan (2 forts, a museum, an old church, lots of shops and restaurants, fountains, an old graveyard (which is at a fort) a pigeon park).

To get a cab from the Marriott to Old San Juan you’ll be paying about $20-$25 each way for every trip.

2) Taxi is the best way. Easy to access and rates to and from hotels are around $25.

3) Only way to Pan American pier is taxi (or Uber).

4) Refer to answer #1- spend the day on Old San Juan, and if that is what you decide to do, change your hotel. The Sheraton Old San Juan has been one of the most recommended hotels for staying downtown for cruise passengers for at least 5 years. There are other boutique type hotels down there, (like Hotel Convento) but they are a lot more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums