First Cruise

Carlo16

Taking my family on our first cruise this July on NCL Escape from NY to Bermuda 7 day. Traveling with a 9 and 5 year old. Any advice or tips on things I should/need to do day 1?

Thanks

CJ

Welcome to CC and NCL!

Show up to the port no later than 10:30.

Leave your suitcases with the curbside porters.

You will go through security (like an airport) and follow the directions of the port staff to check in. For large ships, NY uses two separate checkin areas based on your deck number. Your keys are at only one of the checkins.

Boarding will start around 11:30.

Recommend heading to the buffet for first meal. The main dining room opens at noon if you prefer a served meal. The buffet has more kid food.

Go and register your kids for the youth programs at the splash academy. It will also allow some mom and dad time when the kids are at the kids club.

Have swim suits in your hand carry. The Escape has a good splash area for the kids and a family pool. You can get towels at the towel station near the pool.

Your bags will be delivered by 4:30ish. So keep those dry clothes dry.

We were just on the Escape. This link has some photos. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2624246

Thank You for the information so far. Any information on the Thermal Suite? Their website is kind of vague. Also I keep hearing about themed nights but there is no info on their website.

CJ -- last week I was on the Gem for our first cruise. We splurged on the Mandara Spa passes, and it was well worth it. Loved it - quiet, relaxing, just plain felt great! No kids allowed though, so that might be a barrier for your family. We will definitely do that again.

Thank You for the information so far. Any information on the Thermal Suite? Their website is kind of vague. Also I keep hearing about themed nights but there is no info on their website.

We did Escape for Thanksgiving last year and spent at least an hour or more in the Thermal Suite practically every day. It's just a nice place to get away and relax especially after a lot of walking in port. If you do get the passes, I recommend "trying" the Snow Room. It sounds horrible but it's actually quite nice to go back and forth from the hot sauna or salt room to the snow room. Very invigorating.

We definitely prefer a MDR to the buffet on the first day for lunch! Then we register the kids for the clubs (they won’t be able to attend until around 8 pm the first night, make them go, it’s when friendships form). Cabins usually open around this time, we drop off our caryons and check out the cabins. Soon it’s time for muster, and then sailaway, and then we go back to the cabins, unpack, and get ready for dinner. After dinner, kids go to the clubs, we grab some drinks.

ETA, we love the spa, together or separate.