Packing for Alaska

avigreta

2. If you dress in layers and are on an excursion, does it become cumbersome to carry around the layers you peel? Might there be buses, etc you can leave them behind on? We bring an empty (assuming it is cold when you start out) backpack for that. Well, almost empty since if it isn't raining our emergency rain ponchos will be in it.

5. With all the layers of clothes and different jackets, do most of you find one large suitcase to be sufficient. Does anyone use a large duffle? This is what we used for a 2 week trip to Spain and it worked great. It still fit the allowable dimensions for the airline, not oversized. We've done the Alaska cruise twice with a carry-on and large suitcase each. My sister and brother-in-law plus brother and sister-in-law did it with carry-ons only. They used the Princess laundry facilities a couple of times during the cruise.

See comments in red.

As many have said, layers are the key. I take one 26" suitcase, even on my recent 30 day cruise to So. Amer. packing for 2 climates. I roll everything, helps me pack. I do dressy tops/slacks, no dresses.

For my Alaska cruise, I was over packed, had to buy a few tees because it was warm. First cruise of the season, and every port broke record highs! There is no way to know how it will be. It depends on what is cold to you, where you live. I don't think high 40s or 50 is cold, some need a winter jacket for 40s, I don't.

This is why everyone mentions layers.

I agree with the others dress in layers. I bring a wide brim hat which helps keep the rain off your face. I also bring sunglasses, t shirts and zip off pants that convert to shorts/carpis. Sometimes it is cool in the am and can get up in the 80's during the day. I also bring sunscreen and bug repellant depending on the type of tour.

Leaving for our third Alaskan cruise in 19 days. This is what I pack: 1 dress slacks and top for formal, 2 nice (think khakis) for evening with 3 tops, 4 day pants like jeans or thicker slacks with 5 long sleeve tops- one will be a turtle neck that can go under one of the tops, 2 pair comfortable shoes in case one gets wet and one pair slip-ons for every night, 4 pair socks, night gown, a set of cuddle duds, a good fleece, a Lands End jacket, a rain coat, gloves, hat, and scarf. I pack underwear for every day because it takes up little room. Optional for me is a swim suit and a robe.

I hope this helps, and it is strictly what I pack- pack what is important to you. I didn't mention camera , binoculars, etc. because some people want them, some don't. For Alaska you need to be comfortable and able to rewear a lot of your layers.

Thanks, This is pretty similar to what I packed many years ago and what I plan on bringing this time. Now my DH-he needs lots of warm stuff so his is the LARGE suitcase. We are from FL so he is always cold. (Think flannel shirts for him.) I can't believe that we will be leaving a week from next Saturday! Time sure has flown. Let's be sure to look for the Cruise Critic "Meet & Greet" in the Patter.!:cool:

If you're open to credit card offers, a lot of the airlines offer partnered credit cards that include free bags. I'm partial to Delta, and their gold card includes free bags for everyone on the reservation and I think the card is free for the first year.

If you're only going to pack a single checked bag, I'd plan to bring as big a rolling carry-on as possible for both of you, plus the "hand bag" sized backpack/purse to maximize luggage space.

A good pair of small binoculars is really nice to have, I brought a good pair from home and it was soooo much better than the $25 set they had in the ship gift shop. I saw lots of wildlife with mine that my neighbor couldn't see with their binos (on the packaging they were similar magnification... I think it was more an issue of clarity and how much light I could get with the nikons). If you know anyone who hunts or is a birder you might be able to borrow a nice compact pair just for the trip. If they're a nice set, put them in your hand luggage - really good glass can be shockingly expensive.

I like full zip layers (fleece and outer rain jacket as a hard shell), that way you can vent pretty easily. We both used good quality rain jackets (that could breathe decently) as they doubled as the hard shell windbreaker and could be packed down pretty darn small. Most excursions will let you leave things on the bus, but I like to be self contained and hate to count on being able to leave stuff behind (safely). Worst case, tie a jacket around your waist or throw it over your shoulders.