Post Cruise Hotel.....Rome "neighborhood"?

firstcruiserDB

Hello!

Believe me, I've spent much time searching for my info, but I'm not really coming up with much recent info. I'm hoping someone can help...

We will be spending 3 days prior to our September cruise in Rome. Our hotel is in the city center, close to all attractions. We expect to do most of our sight seeing before the cruise.

We will stay ONE NIGHT post cruise before flying out the next morning. We expect to be exhausted from the cruise excursions, and we are looking for a nice hotel in a typical Rome neighborhood that we can leisurely explore for our last day of vacation. We'd like an area that has lots of shops and great restaurants close-by and an area that will give us a more authentic view of life in Rome. Trastevere seems like a great spot, but I'd love some first hand knowledge.

Has anyone stayed in a great Rome neighborhood? Can you recommend a great hotel and nearby restaurant? I will be forever grateful for any and all suggestions! Thanks!

All of Rome is a series of neighborhoods, really. (They call them "Rioni"). Trastevere is just as touristy these days as is any other area near the center of Rome. It would be a great place to base yourself for an evening but in terms of it being an "authentic" view of Rome life -- not exactly.

Real life for those who actually live in Rome is more likely to take place in a cramped apartment in a shoddily constructed post WWII building in extremely crowded suburbs outside the Aurelian walls, with time spent commuting on packed public transportation in and out of the city. :D

We have stayed in the Trastevere area and Campo di fiori. Both are good locals. Campo is a great outdoor market. Very near Piazza Navona. Both have great restaurant choices. Both near river.

Thanks so much! I continue to be overwhelmed with the vast amount of places to stay in Rome! I'm wondering if you can recommend a great hotel for our last night? I'd really like to be able to stroll the neighborhood and have one last authentic dinner before flying home the next morning. I'd rather NOT stay by the airport unless it's our best option. I'll appreciate your recommendations more than I can tell you! THANKS!

Thanks so much! I continue to be overwhelmed with the vast amount of places to stay in Rome! I'm wondering if you can recommend a great hotel for our last night? I'd really like to be able to stroll the neighborhood and have one last authentic dinner before flying home the next morning. I'd rather NOT stay by the airport unless it's our best option. I'll appreciate your recommendations more than I can tell you! THANKS!

Because I haven't been yet I can't recommend anything, but I have been looking in this area on Arbnb. There are so many places. My thoughts were I would get a little better feel in a home (private) than in a hotel. But this may not be your thing. Staying just one night might be a problem too. There are a lot though. FWIW

We have had good luck at the hotel Residenzia de Farnese very near Campo di fiori, and love the small family run restaurant nearby Hostaria de Farnese. Followed of course by a walk in Campo di Fiori and Piazza Navona, For some gelato. Is is a delightful area to explore, easy to reach Trastevere.

We have had good luck at the hotel Residenzia de Farnese very near Campo di fiori, and love the small family run restaurant nearby Hostaria de Farnese. Followed of course by a walk in Campo di Fiori and Piazza Navona, For some gelato. Is is a delightful area to explore, easy to reach Trastevere.

We stayed here too in 2016! Nice hotel, quite comfortable, with a lovely rooftop patio. It was only a very short hop across the bridge to Trastevere, so we ate there every night. It also had a lovely breakfast served buffet style on lovely china.

We will be staying at the Maison Giulia. We checked it out last month. Nice place. There are many choices and many are much more opulent but we felt for the money, this was a good choice. Last month we had a apt. across from Campo di Fiori. Couldn't recommend it except for location. Maison Giulia is near Campo di Fiori and Piazza Navona. Many restaurants, outdoor market. Great locatiion.

When is your flight home? How are planning to get to the airport?

From my experience, most of the flights leave early in the morning meaning have to be at the airport early. Unless you are planning to pay for a car to the airport, transportation options are very limited in the early morning.

Our flight leaves at 10:20am.

I feel like I'd like to get one more day of vacation immersed in a Rome neighborhood rather than staying at the airport. I know we will need to leave rather early in the morning, but transportation is already arranged, so that's not a problem. Thanks, though, for your thoughts!

The Hotel Santa Maria gets great reviews. I sure wish I could find some "first hand" reviews here! Thanks!

We stayed at the sister hotel Rezidenza Santa Maria. It’s been a few years, but I remember liking the breakfast. The hostesses were charming. I looked up the hotel and it appears the name has changed, but the same people are involved.

• 1 month later...
Hello!

Believe me, I've spent much time searching for my info, but I'm not really coming up with much recent info. I'm hoping someone can help...

We will be spending 3 days prior to our September cruise in Rome. Our hotel is in the city center, close to all attractions. We expect to do most of our sight seeing before the cruise.

We will stay ONE NIGHT post cruise before flying out the next morning. We expect to be exhausted from the cruise excursions, and we are looking for a nice hotel in a typical Rome neighborhood that we can leisurely explore for our last day of vacation. We'd like an area that has lots of shops and great restaurants close-by and an area that will give us a more authentic view of life in Rome. Trastevere seems like a great spot, but I'd love some first hand knowledge.

Has anyone stayed in a great Rome neighborhood? Can you recommend a great hotel and nearby restaurant? I will be forever grateful for any and all suggestions! Thanks!

We stayed in Monti the last time we were there and loved it, stayed at a Caesar House and walked to colosseum and the piazza of Montimwas lovely, highly recommend. We have stayed near Pratt neighbourhood but found it v hectic, lots of motorbikes and you need to,jump out of the way.

Edited by Niagarawine
spelling

We stayed at the beautiful Boscolo Exedra in Rome, first class hotel with excellent service and rooms that are quite large by European standards.

The Colosseum and Sistine Chapel were a short cab ride away and plenty of nice restaurants nearby including a really terrific one in the hotel,

Jonathan