Gala night ideas!

ArtyChoke

Just got back from Alaska on the Westerdam and it was the most casual cruise I've ever been on. I felt totally over dressed.

What were you wearing? How about men in black tie? I was once warned upfront here about not over-dressing for a Caribbean cruise and in fact it was one of the dressier cruises we had seen of late. Packing for Alaska right now, but on a longer cruise and a smaller older ship - wonder if it will it be more traditional?

I often pack something easy to wear that isn't involved or fussy to travel with and then kick up the outfit with jewelry and how I do my hair/makeup. It is hard to pack sequins, or a wrinkle prone fancy fabric, so I don't blame anyone for not wanting to bother. But jewelry/accessories are very small and easy to pack.

I don't have pictures, but I will say I have dressed to impress on gala nights and even though others might not dress as nicely, it takes nothing away from my experience on gala nights when I am overdressed. Though, I do appreciate when others dress up. Once I arrive at my table, that is all I really pay attention to anyway.

I'm currently getting ready for my Alaskan cruise leaving this Saturday from Vancouver on the Nieuw Amsterdam :)

My last Holland America Cruise to Alaska in 2013 I wore cocktail dresses to the Gala nights.

My Dad wore a suit and my brother slacks and a black collared shirt, no tie.

I'm going shopping tonight for the cruise and want to find a dressier dress for this time, but don't think I'll get a ball gown or anything, just something I'd wear to a nice wedding.

Honestly the dining room was empty most nights as everyone ate at the Lido

Saw a few Tux, some suits, even a gentleman in his full "kilt attire" In over 30 cruises this was the most casual I've ever been on.

I just wore fancy tops and dress pants and felt over dressed most evenings.

I'm currently getting ready for my Alaskan cruise leaving this Saturday from Vancouver on the Nieuw Amsterdam :)

My last Holland America Cruise to Alaska in 2013 I wore cocktail dresses to the Gala nights.

I'm going shopping tonight for the cruise and want to find a dressier dress for this time, but don't think I'll get a ball gown or anything, just something I'd wear to a nice wedding.

From what I've seen on recent cruises, that sounds just right.

What were you wearing? How about men in black tie? I was once warned upfront here about not over-dressing for a Caribbean cruise and in fact it was one of the dressier cruises we had seen of late. Packing for Alaska right now, but on a longer cruise and a smaller older ship - wonder if it will it be more traditional?

We did the 14 day in 2015, so this is 3 years old. Early fixed dining on that cruise was like a scene from Titanic. Loads of tuxes and floor length gowns. The passenger complement on that sailing was noticeably older, probably long-time cruisers, so that may have influenced the choice of clothing.

edited to add: Even our dinner companions, all who had been retired for many years, thought it was an older crowd in Early dining. It may in part be because that is an easy port to access.

Edited by VennDiagram

I often pack something easy to wear that isn't involved or fussy to travel with and then kick up the outfit with jewelry and how I do my hair/makeup. It is hard to pack sequins, or a wrinkle prone fancy fabric, so I don't blame anyone for not wanting to bother. But jewelry/accessories are very small and easy to pack.

I don't have pictures, but I will say I have dressed to impress on gala nights and even though others might not dress as nicely, it takes nothing away from my experience on gala nights when I am overdressed. Though, I do appreciate when others dress up. Once I arrive at my table, that is all I really pay attention to anyway.

I agree. All of this :)

I'm addressing my reply to Ol' Salt re her Alaska attire question, and this is referring to dinner attire in the main dining room on her upcoming cruise on the Zaandam. These are only my observations; others may have experienced something different:

The 7-day Alaska itineraries are generally less dressy than the 14-day Alaska itineraries, in our experience. (We have done three such 14-day cruises, in May 2010, August 2012, and late August/ early September 2016. Two were on Amsterdam, one on Maasdam). Typically, there are folks from all over the world on the 14-day Alaska itineraries. Many of them are incorporating their Alaska cruise into a longer land/sea U.S. trip, and I have found they are more likely to "dress up". As to black tie, that's up to you, but I think a jacket and tie for a gentleman would suffice. Having said that, if your husband wants to wear black tie, wonderful! He will be a minority, but not alone.

As to women's attire, typically, my sister and I wear what probably would be described as "dressy casual" to the main dining room at dinner, whether it's gala night or otherwise. We wear either nice slacks and dressy top, a long skirt and top, or a cocktail length dress, as others have previously mentioned above.

(The Pacific Northwest in the U.S. is not known for its dressy fashions. For instance, my husband owns precisely one pair of nicer slacks and two sports coats. The entire rest of his life he is dressed in blue jeans, either at home, work or play).

We will be on the same cruise, but 2 weeks later! Please post reviews and menus and maybe some daily schedules for the new season!

Thank you! Enjoy your cruise.

So would everyone recommend not going all out for Gala nights now?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

If you WANT to go all out, do it! If you don't want to, you don't have to. There will be a mix of clothing, from basic to floor-length/sequins/fancy. Similar range for the men.

If you want photos of you dressed all-out, this is the night to get those pictures :)

If you love dressing up, you're not over dressed! Enjoy and wear what you want to wear! We've been on cruises (regardless of location) where you see an abundance of gala attire and others where you wonder if the guests even brought something other than workout gear! We're cruising with our adult kids and grandkids this summer and they'll be proudly strutting their finery! Bottom line - love it and enjoy the evenings!

Honestly the dining room was empty most nights as everyone ate at the Lido

Saw a few Tux, some suits, even a gentleman in his full "kilt attire" In over 30 cruises this was the most casual I've ever been on.

I just wore fancy tops and dress pants and felt over dressed most evenings.

You may have seen my husband. He was one of the 5 men wearing tuxes. I am not saying that people should dress up that much, but an effort would have been nice. Most people wore clothes that they wore all day. it was dreadful.

Sandra

So would everyone recommend not going all out for Gala nights now?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I think you should wear whatever makes you happy! Who cares what others are wearing. Just be yourself and enjoy your cruise. Honestly, most people don't even notice what everyone else is doing because they're just too busy having fun. When we're in the MDR the only thing that has our attention is the menu! Have a wonderful cruise!

You may have seen my husband. He was one of the 5 men wearing tuxes. I am not saying that people should dress up that much, but an effort would have been nice. Most people wore clothes that they wore all day. it was dreadful.

Sandra

To be fair, when your in port till much later, you really don't feel like changing. I know the night in Juneau I didn't get back to ship till after 7, if I had changed I wouldn't have made the dining room. same think in Skagway.

I agree on sea days an effort should be made

We also just got off the 7 day Westerdam Alaska cruise. The first gala night we were in the MDR and I did see a few gentlemen in a tux and numerous dressy dresses. I also saw several men in basic short sleeve shirts and dockers:(

I wore a sweater style cocktail style dress (sounds weird but it’s really cute😍) high heeled boots with sparkly jewelry. DH work slacks, dress shirt and jacket. Second gala night basically wore the same thing but we ate in the pinnacle grill as it was our anniversary, no tuxes or fancy dresses there. It was nice to dress up so I’d say go for what makes you feel fabulous!!

If you want to dine in the MDR then simply review the guidelines and dress accordingly and in a manner that makes happy

Why on earth feel that you have to dress a certain way because others may or may not be doing so?

Our first Alaskan on the E-dam, I brought a suit and wife a LBD - in no way did we feel under/overdressed. However, it was in September so the demographics were definitely on the older side......

Hey everyone looking to get ideas of what to bring/get for Gala nights. Post pictures of what you wore or are going to wear!

Forums mobile app

I didn’t see anyone post photos, but I will! Maybe it’s just my friend group, but we love themed events and dressing up. On my one and only Mediterranean cruise, we saw TONS of people dress up in suits, tuxes and gowns. When I looked around, a majority of the MDR dresses in at least a jacket and cocktail, many had suits or tuxes. We had the late seating. I didn’t really care what others wore, to each their own. But, it was nice to see so many people partaking in the “gala” look. But, I don’t think twice about seeing someone in smart casual. Whatever makes you happy. But, my friends and I like to dress for the occasion. Anytime we get to wear pretty dresses and see our husbands look like Bond, we are in!

We dressed up for our 2 gala nights. Photos attached.

ec3613db74dbc92037fb627aabfd949f.jpg24a47eee23db52fa8c7964ce08cc404a.jpgae773d89fa22eeef9734b13a89ccb4b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn’t see anyone post photos, but I will! Maybe it’s just my friend group, but we love themed events and dressing up. On my one and only Mediterranean cruise, we saw TONS of people dress up in suits, tuxes and gowns. When I looked around, a majority of the MDR dresses in at least a jacket and cocktail, many had suits or tuxes. We had the late seating. I didn’t really care what others wore, to each their own. But, it was nice to see so many people partaking in the “gala” look. But, I don’t think twice about seeing someone in smart casual. Whatever makes you happy. But, my friends and I like to dress for the occasion. Anytime we get to wear pretty dresses and see our husbands look like Bond, we are in!

We dressed up for our 2 gala nights. Photos attached.

ec3613db74dbc92037fb627aabfd949f.jpg24a47eee23db52fa8c7964ce08cc404a.jpgae773d89fa22eeef9734b13a89ccb4b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You all look so pretty and so handsome! If people enjoy getting dressed up, then go for it. Who cares what others are doing! Nothing is more attractive than a man in a nice suit!

We did the 14 day in 2015, so this is 3 years old. Early fixed dining on that cruise was like a scene from Titanic. Loads of tuxes and floor length gowns. The passenger complement on that sailing was noticeably older, probably long-time cruisers, so that may have influenced the choice of clothing.

edited to add: Even our dinner companions, all who had been retired for many years, thought it was an older crowd in Early dining. It may in part be because that is an easy port to access.

I’d imagine the 14 days played into it also. For most, a 14 day cruise would mean taking over 2 weeks off.