I'm not going to complain about drink prices anymore

JCinATL

Do you really think you will drink 15 drinks a day for seven days? If you can, you have quite the hollow leg... most folks could not get close to that.

So, you have to adjust the math to divide the cheers price by the real average number of drinks consumed per day. It's going to be a lot less than 15 for most, so the per-drink amount is going to be a lot higher and the savings a lot less.

You also have to adjust the math to include any specialty coffees, bottled water, soda, etc. I personally have never hit 15, but for me, the peace of mind of not having to worry about how much my tab is going to be is worth the cost of cheers.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

Do you really think you will drink 15 drinks a day for seven days? If you can, you have quite the hollow leg... most folks could not get close to that.

So, you have to adjust the math to divide the cheers price by the real average number of drinks consumed per day. It's going to be a lot less than 15 for most, so the per-drink amount is going to be a lot higher and the savings a lot less.

Ah, but then you can earn it back in bottled water. Especially if you have norovirus [emoji23]

STOP!

Alright I'm nipping this in the bud before this thread spirals out of control over the merits or otherwise of the Cheers! program. Original post was an exclamation on the cruise ship drink prices vs. those found at a music festival. If you all want to discuss whether or not Cheers is worth it, please do it on another board.

STOP!

Alright I'm nipping this in the bud before this thread spirals out of control over the merits or otherwise of the Cheers! program. Original post was an exclamation on the cruise ship drink prices vs. those found at a music festival. If you all want to discuss whether or not Cheers is worth it, please do it on another board.

How can you just stop a thread? Are you a mod?

Also...for those wondering, COL = Cost Of Living.

STOP!

I think you may be past due for a cruise. Let me know if you need assistance pulling that stick out. It must be uncomfortable.

STOP!

I definitely think Cheers is worth it, Carnival drink prices are pretty good if you compare them to most bars and restaurants.

STOP!

You're saying other people are acting like jerks? This post is the worst. All caps aka SHOUTING. Attempting to stop a thread. Redirecting people who are having a nice chat elsewhere because you don't care for the discussion.

Not nice forum or internet etiquette at all.

You're saying other people are acting like jerks? This post is the worst. All caps aka SHOUTING. Attempting to stop a thread. Redirecting people who are having a nice chat elsewhere because you don't care for the discussion.

Not nice forum or internet etiquette at all.

Seriously?? I had one word in caps. Didn't actually call anyone a jerk. The Cheers discussion was hijacking the original intent of the thread. I realize now that I'm no better by continuing this conversation. I'm not going to get into further arguments with strangers on the internet about nonsense. So sorry that having an opinion has so highly offended you.

You also have to adjust the math to include any specialty coffees, bottled water, soda, etc. I personally have never hit 15, but for me, the peace of mind of not having to worry about how much my tab is going to be is worth the cost of cheers.

I agree. I also have not reached my 15 drink limit in alcohol. The pure satisfaction of walking off the ship with no bar tab to pay, is worth the cost to me.

Just to touch on what someone else wrote about sporting events and music festivals having expensive drink prices.. Last night, Yankees vs Boston, at Yankee Stadium.. $14 a beer! Which means I can drink a little more than 4 beers for $60.

I know some people say that you cant compare a sporting event to a cruise, but, why not? On a cruise I obviously can not leave the ship while we are at sea, so I have to pay the price of the drink. At Yankee Stadium, for example, fans are not allowed to leave the stadium and gain reentry, so I am at the mercy of the drink prices there as well.

Lastly, I read a lot of posts here where people complain about drink prices on the ship. My outlook is that I am on vacation, and not that I would pay $25 for a beer, but I expect the prices to be slightly inflated... land or sea. You are on vacation.. chill out a bit, enjoy a drink, forget about the prices for a minute and just enjoy life!

Although I'm not a big drinker (I don't drink to get buzzed or drunk and would rather eat my calories than drink them), when I looked at drink menus on Carnival with their prices (assuming they were accurate with today), the prices weren't unreasonable to me. Non happy hour prices on comparable drinks near me would be maybe between $9-$13. Carnival's was actually a little less. When I went back to NYC though and hit up some bars, the average drink was between $14-$20. This was in the LES.

In any case for me, I the Cheers package is not good value. I'm not going to drink much alcohol, that much soda, and not particularly interested in coffee drinks. I'm bringing in little cans of Diet Coke since I like it with Mexican food,pizza, and burgers. I also prefer paying a la carte as I've never been a fan for prepaying even if it could potentially save me $.

Edited by CatsinShow

I know some people say that you cant compare a sporting event to a cruise, but, why not? On a cruise I obviously can not leave the ship while we are at sea, so I have to pay the price of the drink. At Yankee Stadium, for example, fans are not allowed to leave the stadium and gain reentry, so I am at the mercy of the drink prices there as well.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. While you're only at a ballgame or event for a limited amount of time, the same basic principle applies. If the drink is so integral to your experience, then you need to be willing to pay the cost - however you might do that. And at $14 for a beer at Yankee stadium - the cruise price is certainly a much better deal!

Seriously?? I had one word in caps. Didn't actually call anyone a jerk. The Cheers discussion was hijacking the original intent of the thread. I realize now that I'm no better by continuing this conversation. I'm not going to get into further arguments with strangers on the internet about nonsense. So sorry that having an opinion has so highly offended you.
Can somebody please explain to me how talking about cheers is hijacking this thread? Cheers has to be taken into account as it is a primary program used by many to purchase their drinks, therefore directly affecting the price per drink which was the original discussion. Someone is just being rude.

For crying out loud. Grow up man. I wasn't being mean. Insults are unnecessary.
I was actually joking... Shoulda used an emoji! [emoji12]

To your point, however, the cheers program is topic adjacent. It isn't like we started talking about the NBA playoffs (Go Rockets!).

But even so, you aren't the OP. There's really no reason to be so concerned about which way the conversation is flowing, don't sweat the small stuff! Hence the overdue for a cruise comment.

You also have to adjust the math to include any specialty coffees, bottled water, soda, etc.

I understand this is also included, but is it really something you would buy anyway without cheers? Bottled water is dirt cheap, and you can still bring on canned sodas. I'm sure if you have already bought the package then you'd probably indulge more than if you were paying as you go, so you have to compare what you would actually buy without cheers to what you consume with it. I just don't see the value, but I really don't mind drinking ice water either.

The Cheers discussion was hijacking the original intent of the thread.

I disagree. While comparing the prices at a concert or sporting event to cruise prices might be extreme, the comparison of normal bar prices on land to cruises is a valid topic in a thread titled "I'm not going to complain about drink prices anymore". In many parts of the country going out to drink can be very expensive and people might complain about bar prices, the prices on cruises might be a welcome sight since they are a pretty good deal to those people.

What baffles me by far the most about Carnival's drinks is that more people don't go for the pre-purchased bottles. The discussion is usually Cheers or no Cheers.

I know a lot of guys who drink Jack and Coke as their go-to. You can get a 1 liter bottle, for $95 which is definitely not a bad price either. There are few bars I can think of where you can get that much Jack Daniels for that price. Is it the best choice for everyone? Of course not. However, lots of people get the same drink over and over. Lots of people have a partner that won't drink a lot. Lots of people don't want to spend $120 per couple, per day. For me, a bottle is the best option. I can't be the only one.

In my opinion, next to cutbacks, nickle and diming, the third most annoying thing on here is about pushing cheers with the following lines "mimosa for breakfast, bottled water, coffee, etc".

I agree. I also have not reached my 15 drink limit in alcohol. The pure satisfaction of walking off the ship with no bar tab to pay, is worth the cost to me.

Just to touch on what someone else wrote about sporting events and music festivals having expensive drink prices.. Last night, Yankees vs Boston, at Yankee Stadium.. $14 a beer! Which means I can drink a little more than 4 beers for $60.

Lastly, I read a lot of posts here where people complain about drink prices on the ship. My outlook is that I am on vacation, and not that I would pay $25 for a beer, but I expect the prices to be slightly inflated... land or sea. You are on vacation.. chill out a bit, enjoy a drink, forget about the prices for a minute and just enjoy life!

I was going to say just this! While everyone isn't having their ball game at Yankee stadium (been there, fantastic stadium, but it's the Yankees so I expected overpriced) a mixed drink ain't happening for under $10-$15. I think a regular solo cup (i.e. plastic cup) pour of a typical (i.e. Bud Miller Lite and the like) was like $8-$10 just last season.

A beer at Camden yards is definitely close to that, so I can't blame it all on Yankee Stadium. But seriously, Carnival's prices are not that terrible. I'm no expert as I don't cruise them often, but the prices I've seen online are on par with the lines I do cruise regularly.

Now, I won't pay CCL's overinflated $100 to have a bottle of Crown Royal in my room at embarkation. But $8 for a beer? That's not shocking nor unreasonable. Where I live, you're paying about that in a restaurant. Martinis range in the $10-15 range depending on what's in them. I'm not seeing drink prices on CCL exceed that, so I'm good to go.

The prices don't seem outrageous to me either. Having said that, we live 8 miles from the Disneyland Resort and visit often. Talk about spendy drinks.

Yes, but when your drink can unleash the Kraken or anger the Tiki gods, I guess it's worth $15 :'):')

(referring to Trader Sam's; which I do actually like when at DLR)

I understand this is also included, but is it really something you would buy anyway without cheers? Bottled water is dirt cheap, and you can still bring on canned sodas. I'm sure if you have already bought the package then you'd probably indulge more than if you were paying as you go, so you have to compare what you would actually buy without cheers to what you consume with it. I just don't see the value, but I really don't mind drinking ice water either.

in may case? Yes. something about the change in water gives me GI issues. No matter where I am, when I travel, if I don't stick to bottled water (don't drink it at home, we have a well with double osmosis and all this other crap- but our water is damn good so no need) I'm asking to have Dehli belly without any of the fun of getting there. So yes, I am that person who brings bottled water aboard and now that lines are nipping that I either get drink package and drink bottled water or pay for it.

To be fair, the a la carte drink prices on Carnival are not too bad... for having a drink once in a while. It just adds up quickly if your're not paying attention (which is easy to do when drinking.) I just don't put the camel's nose under that tent.

I rely on empirical data regarding the value of the various plans. We spent $156 on drinks, alcoholic and not, over the course of a seven day cruise. Neither plan comes in less than that.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.