I'm not going to complain about drink prices anymore

JCinATL

Yes, but when your drink can unleash the Kraken or anger the Tiki gods, I guess it's worth $15 :'):')

(referring to Trader Sam's; which I do actually like when at DLR)

:') Truth right there! Its so much fun. Just wish Trader Sam's had some sort of system for seating; I despise the stalk and pounce.

:') Truth right there! Its so much fun. Just wish Trader Sam's had some sort of system for seating; I despise the stalk and pounce.

Stalk and pounce- love it! You have to go when there's people b/c that's seriously half the fun- but with people means you're all desperately trying for one of the like 10 tables or 10 bar seats. Uh-oh-a!

I rely on empirical data regarding the value of the various plans. We spent $156 on drinks, alcoholic and not, over the course of a seven day cruise. Neither plan comes in less than that.

I'd be curious to see more of these kinds of comparisons. What people are actually spending. Even those with Cheers.

I spent even less than you on my 7 night cruise. I spend more on going out on Saturday night than I wanted on my cruise (minus the drinks at port).

I don't have data on paying out of pocket because we typically have drink packages but on the Oasis x2 and the Reflection and Equinox (those are our most recent cruise vacations with drink packages) we averaged 4 pages of charges. Remember though, that that's a swipe for every bottle of water, coffee, and liquor purchase. So two pages per person (or one front and back if you want to count that way). I'd guess we'd have spent $400? All of those cruises the packages were part of either a TA deal or a cruise line deal so we paid little to nothing.

I have no idea what'll happen with our upcoming Horizon as it's the first time we might actually pay out of pocket for a package. We've not decided if we're doing a la carte or not yet.

Just remembered we took the Majestic in the Greek Med last spring. I had a package, DH didn't. He spent less than $100 for week primarily on the occasional beer or glass of wine. And no, we didn't share my package. I barely used it myself because of the itinerary. We spent more time in port than on ship, and when on ship we literally ate dinner or breakfast and slept.

I'd be curious to see more of these kinds of comparisons. What people are actually spending. Even those with Cheers.

I spent even less than you on my 7 night cruise. I spend more on going out on Saturday night than I wanted on my cruise (minus the drinks at port).

For DW and I it was about $650 a week, which includes a bottle of rum from Fun Shops.

Yeah, this. Our local bar has a bucket of 6 beers for $15- mix and match. Now that is definitely cheap, but even at most bars around here, you are going to pay $3-4 for a bottle- non happy hour prices. Mixed drinks are going to run $3-$5 a piece. Go to a restaurant like Applebees, Chili's etc., then you might pay more like $4-6 a beer. Generally, if we have an evening out with just drinks- no food, its going to be a tab of about $30 or so for DH and I and that is if we both drink and DH drinks more than he should. If we just have a couple of drinks, it might be under $20, with tip.

Of course cost of living here is a lot lower, as are salaries.

Wow, sodas in this area go for $3. Mixed drinks (top shelf) and wine $7-9, martinis $12-15, beer $5-7. When my hubby and I did a road trip to PA and stopped for a drink, vodka tonic for me and tequila on the rocks for him, the total came to $7.00. We looked at each other very confused and then said drink up.:p

I've been on 2 cruises without having Cheers. The first one was a 5 night, and we spent $700 on drinks between the two of us.

On our honeymoon, a 7 night, we spent about $850. Both times we didn't worry about price of the drink we wanted or about what our final bill was going to be.

So even though I drink far less now, being able to pre pay and know exactly how much its costing us, plus not having to try and order cheap drinks to stay under a certain budget, is definitely worth the cost of cheers package for us. It isn't for everyone, and that's fine. But if bars had a deal where you could go in, have 15 of any drink(s) you wanted and only pay $56, people would happily pay it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

True..concerts and sporting events are much more expensive...but you're only there for 3 hours or so...not an entire week. Cruise prices ARE outrageous!
Yet people still book cruises so I guess they're not really outrageous so much as we wish they were not quite as high.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I went to a music festival last weekend. Beers were $9 or $10, a shot with a simple mixer was $10, and any other cocktail was at least $14. (Includes tax but not tip.) Much more than I paid on the ship for drink+tax+gratuity. And none of the people serving the drinks asked me if I was having a good time, or learned my name and remembered it. ;p Now I'm looking forward to my next cruise even more...

It's enough of a sticker shock to give you a real set of Shaky Knees....especially if you were at a music festival in Atlanta last weekend. :D

And yeah, drink prices at outdoor events are obscene. Cruise ship drink prices are surprisingly affordable in comparison, and Carnival's are even slightly less than Royal's.

Wow, sodas in this area go for $3. Mixed drinks (top shelf) and wine $7-9, martinis $12-15, beer $5-7. When my hubby and I did a road trip to PA and stopped for a drink, vodka tonic for me and tequila on the rocks for him, the total came to $7.00. We looked at each other very confused and then said drink up.:p

Your post made me chuckle because DH and I had almost the same experience. We live outside Boston and our prices are similar to those in your area. The cruise prices are high,but do not seem so "outrageous" to us as they might to folks who live in other parts of the country. As they say, it's all relative!!:D

Edited by Rala
typo

I don't remember the total, but I know we spent combined less than $100 per day on our 7-day (two adults). Many days was significantly less since we spent less than $500 total onboard. We did bring one bottle of wine each from home and won a bottle of sparkling wine at a show, but we also had a reasonable amount for us every day. No drinking in ports, but might do more on our next cruise.

I have to wonder where in PA you were - that was a good deal! We are central, not totally rural but not Philly/Pittsburgh either. Drinks for us (ciders, beer, wine) are usually 5-8 each - chain or independently owned.