Disability question

toptoff

Hello All

We are sailing from Barcelona in September on Eclipse doing a 12 night sailing. We are taking both my Parents who are in their eighties and Mother in Law in her Seventies. My Mum is 84 and not great on her feet, I am trying to prepare in advance to overcome any obstacles that may, or will present themselves.

Although I have cruised many times this will be the first where I am looking after my Mum's wellbeing so I am asking our many disabled passengers for any tips, experiences that they have had. I am planning on getting Mum a wheelchair.

Initially I am interested in onboard issues, I will probably post separately for hints and tips on relevant ports nearer the time.

Please feel free to share any tips you may have even if you feel it is only minor. I will appreciate it.

We do have an accessibility cabin booked for them.

Thank you in advance

Brian

Very thoughtful of you. One suggestion is to make sure she brings her walker she uses and makes sure it has a seat and has handbrakes. One of those upscale walkers. Very much needed because although the ship is pretty stable, even in good weather it can have a subtle roll that would be an issue for someone with balance issues. Not a bad rolling but just enough to cause concern.

From your initial comments, it sounds like she doens’t need a scooter but if she does, others can tell you the options, including renting one to be avail on the ship.

Den

One of the things I like most about Celebrity is that I don't have to rent a wheelchair. I tell them ahead of time that I require a w/c to board and they will have one (with an attendant) ready for me when I arrive at the dock. On board it depends on where my cabin is located and what ship I'm on so I don't always need a w/c to get around on the ship but I do use one when I go ashore and they always have them available at the end of the gangway. If your Mums are not used to using motorized scooters I would not recommend a cruise as the place to try one out! The public areas can be very crowded making it difficult for a regular user of a scooter to get around let alone someone who's just learning! There is one grab bar in the shower, which is easy enough to get in but a second one would be helpful. Remind them NOT to touch the bar between the water faucets as it gets very hot!!! If they have balance issues (like me) I would suggest a pair of rubber beach shoes for the shower...sometimes the floor can be slippery and the "bathmat" is more for comfort than accident prevention. I also bring a small high powered flashlight that I keep on the bedside table for getting up in the middle of the night. There is a night light in the bathroom but first you have to get TO the bathroom. I've been on the Eclipse 4x so far..... the staff on board the ship is wonderfully helpful and considerate. My only complaint about Eclipse is there are only 2 elevator stations....one forward and one midship....and it's a very long walk from the stern (aft) cabins to the nearest elevator.

I'm sure you'll get some answers here, but if you haven't already, have a look at this board. I think there is also a specific section for Europe.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=190

There's a special place in heaven for people like you.

Thank you for your kind words and the link will prove a great help.

Very thoughtful of you. One suggestion is to make sure she brings her walker she uses and makes sure it has a seat and has handbrakes. One of those upscale walkers. Very much needed because although the ship is pretty stable, even in good weather it can have a subtle roll that would be an issue for someone with balance issues. Not a bad rolling but just enough to cause concern.

From your initial comments, it sounds like she doens’t need a scooter but if she does, others can tell you the options, including renting one to be avail on the ship.

Den

Thank you Den!

One of the things I like most about Celebrity is that I don't have to rent a wheelchair. I tell them ahead of time that I require a w/c to board and they will have one (with an attendant) ready for me when I arrive at the dock. On board it depends on where my cabin is located and what ship I'm on so I don't always need a w/c to get around on the ship but I do use one when I go ashore and they always have them available at the end of the gangway. If your Mums are not used to using motorized scooters I would not recommend a cruise as the place to try one out! The public areas can be very crowded making it difficult for a regular user of a scooter to get around let alone someone who's just learning! There is one grab bar in the shower, which is easy enough to get in but a second one would be helpful. Remind them NOT to touch the bar between the water faucets as it gets very hot!!! If they have balance issues (like me) I would suggest a pair of rubber beach shoes for the shower...sometimes the floor can be slippery and the "bathmat" is more for comfort than accident prevention. I also bring a small high powered flashlight that I keep on the bedside table for getting up in the middle of the night. There is a night light in the bathroom but first you have to get TO the bathroom. I've been on the Eclipse 4x so far..... the staff on board the ship is wonderfully helpful and considerate. My only complaint about Eclipse is there are only 2 elevator stations....one forward and one midship....and it's a very long walk from the stern (aft) cabins to the nearest elevator.

Thank you!