Aug weather on Baltic cruise

Ambulady

Was wondering about weather both day and night during mid aug for Baltic cruise. Going from Amsterdam to furthest port of St. Petersburg..

Type of clothes needed due to weather

Thanks for your help

I would take clothing to cover all eventualities, we did late July into August, a lot of rain and some chilly days. By far the warmest places when it was tee shirt weather was Helsinki and Estonia (which is magical). I think it's very much luck of the draw as we have known people have wonderful weather on that itinerary.

We did the Baltic's cruise from Southampton 3 years ago in music August and had fantastic weather most of the time. Could lie by the pool on all but the last sea day.

Mid 20's most of the the time so never needed the layers we took. The cruise before though had mainly rain and overcast days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the Baltic's cruise from Southampton 3 years ago in music August and had fantastic weather most of the time. Could lie by the pool on all but the last sea day.

Mid 20's most of the the time so never needed the layers we took. The cruise before though had mainly rain and overcast days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this cruise last August with B2B to Norway and the weather was glorious!! I packed jeans and long sleeved shirts and at the last minute threw 3 pairs of capris and 3 short sleeved shirts in my bag. I wound up living in those capris for almost 3 weeks and buying tee shirts in each port!! It was a glorious trip and we had the best time in Southampton on "turnaround" day. So much to see and do in that charming city but they don't advertise it.

We did this cruise last August with B2B to Norway and the weather was glorious!! I packed jeans and long sleeved shirts and at the last minute threw 3 pairs of capris and 3 short sleeved shirts in my bag. I wound up living in those capris for almost 3 weeks and buying tee shirts in each port!! It was a glorious trip and we had the best time in Southampton on "turnaround" day. So much to see and do in that charming city but they don't advertise it.

Sorry to get off topic, but would you mind briefly giving me some ideas of what you did in Southampton? We have a whole day there before our cruise and we're trying to decide what to do....you are right that they really don't advertise it, and it's hard to find much information on it.

Sorry to get off topic, but would you mind briefly giving me some ideas of what you did in Southampton? We have a whole day there before our cruise and we're trying to decide what to do....you are right that they really don't advertise it, and it's hard to find much information on it.

Happy to. We walked from the ship,but there's a Holiday Inn Hotel right across the street from the dock, It's no more than a flat 1/4 mile from there to the entrance of the city. Southampton is apparently one of the few walled cities with its wall still virtually intact. Go through either of the gates (we chose the further one because there were two boats on display that we wanted to look at) An easy walk up the hill and you'll come to the Tudor House Museum, which is largely renovated as it was under private ownership for many years, but they have done a marvelous job of turning it into an historic museum. There's a program about the house, which is not to be missed, and then the gardens where you can almost visualize a Queen and her ladies in waiting walking and gossiping! The gardens are not large but there is a cannon that was actually built for King Henry VIII! On the lower level there's modern rest rooms and believe it or not a portion of the original house! We ate lunch at the cafe there, which over looks the garden and was delightful. The most memorable portion of the self-guided tour was down a very narrow stairway (I had no trouble and I have walking and balance issues) where the air-raid shelter for the family is. That was a mind blower for me (I'm a NYC girl)...when you finish with the house, across the square is the old church and an original shop, which was closed the day we were there. After lunch we walked through the old village with a quick stop at the Titanic Pub and Museum, then continued through the Gates and came upon the modern city with it's many shops and a supermarket, which was important to us because we were doing the B2B and had run out of some things. There is also a lovely walk along the water with landscaping and benches. We left the ship at 10 a.m. and returned at 3 p.m. and it was one of the best times we had....the people are so friendly and if you sit on a bench next to a local and start talking to them you can learn volumes!!! Enjoy!

Happy to. We walked from the ship,but there's a Holiday Inn Hotel right across the street from the dock, It's no more than a flat 1/4 mile from there to the entrance of the city. Southampton is apparently one of the few walled cities with its wall still virtually intact. Go through either of the gates (we chose the further one because there were two boats on display that we wanted to look at) An easy walk up the hill and you'll come to the Tudor House Museum, which is largely renovated as it was under private ownership for many years, but they have done a marvelous job of turning it into an historic museum. There's a program about the house, which is not to be missed, and then the gardens where you can almost visualize a Queen and her ladies in waiting walking and gossiping! The gardens are not large but there is a cannon that was actually built for King Henry VIII! On the lower level there's modern rest rooms and believe it or not a portion of the original house! We ate lunch at the cafe there, which over looks the garden and was delightful. The most memorable portion of the self-guided tour was down a very narrow stairway (I had no trouble and I have walking and balance issues) where the air-raid shelter for the family is. That was a mind blower for me (I'm a NYC girl)...when you finish with the house, across the square is the old church and an original shop, which was closed the day we were there. After lunch we walked through the old village with a quick stop at the Titanic Pub and Museum, then continued through the Gates and came upon the modern city with it's many shops and a supermarket, which was important to us because we were doing the B2B and had run out of some things. There is also a lovely walk along the water with landscaping and benches. We left the ship at 10 a.m. and returned at 3 p.m. and it was one of the best times we had....the people are so friendly and if you sit on a bench next to a local and start talking to them you can learn volumes!!! Enjoy!

Thanks so much--that sounds like a lovely day, and we'll follow your plan!

It's so nice to read your perspective. Sadly we often take what's on our doorstep for granted, we are from a small village close to Cambridge UK and although we know that like the back of our hand have never, despite many cruises from there actually explored Southampton. One for the list.

This is really a question for the British Isles/Western Europe board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Here is a thread on a similar topic https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2582876&highlight=southampton%2Bday%2Btour

As you will see, a lot depends on which dock you berth at and how long you have ashore.

Southampton is nearly always at the start or end of a cruise. It's only those doing a back-to-back that would ask this.

Or going in a day ahead of the cruise departure, which I think is what the poster was planning.

Pack a foldable umbrella

Layers-- light cardigans/capris/a pair of jeans/a long sleeve light weight sweater

Sleeveless dresses for evening are fine though pack a like shawl

Short sleeve tops

a light windbreaker

Weather can be fabulous or a bit cloudy.

Its a wonderful cruise-- Did Southampton RT..2 days in ST P

Enjoy

PS consider booking a private tour in ST P! We did and it was pricey yet well worth it

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Pack a foldable umbrella

Layers-- light cardigans/capris/a pair of jeans/a long sleeve light weight sweater

Sleeveless dresses for evening are fine though pack a like shawl

Short sleeve tops

a light windbreaker

Weather can be fabulous or a bit cloudy.

Its a wonderful cruise-- Did Southampton RT..2 days in ST P

Enjoy

PS consider booking a private tour in ST P! We did and it was pricey yet well worth it

I've been to St. Pete 3x and I agree with you 100%. It's a wonderful city with SO much to see..our cousin went with us last time and she did the 2 day private tour with Alla...she was exhausted but saw some of everything, even peterhof, which is not to be missed. If you have no plan to go there again and you can afford it...take it, you won't be sorry...

[quote=Fogfog;56072529

I agree with you 100%. I've been to Russia several times and St Petersburg has SO much to see...it's one of my favorite cities! Last time we had cousin with us and we insisted she do 2 day tour so she would see some of everything. She went with Alla, who handled everything including Visa, and loved it! She even went to Peterhof, which is not to be missed. It will be exhausting but if you're only going to be there once do it, you won't be sorry.