Loyalty not rewarded

Toronto Guy

I don't think loyalty plays much of a part in cabin assignment if at all to be honest.

Knowing how to play the game will ensure better cabins etc.

For example, we once booked a guaranteed suite. This was only our second ever Celebrity cruise. A few days later when our room number was allocated it was arguably the least desirable S2 cabin onboard Millennium. I wasn't the least bit surprised, we'd paid a cheap rate afterall so didn't deserve anything better. But thanks to advice from Cruise Critic I called our TA and cheekily asked if we could swap it for 6145. A cabin which along with 6146 is arguably the best S1 suite on the ship. Our request was granted.

We undertake our first ever RCL cruise soon. I'd read on their board that RCL newbies are regularly given cabin upgrades if booking guarantee rooms to help attract them to the brand. With that in mind I booked a guaranteed balcony with a set minimum level which we would have been happy with regardless. When our cabin was assigned we found out we'd been given a balcony room two categories higher than the minimum as had our companions who are also new to RCL.

In my book that's two good results and all thanks to the good people of Cruise Critic who offer good advice and nothing to do with loyalty.

Others may have different experiences. But paying attention to tips and hints on this board will save you far more $$$ than being a member of any loyalty program IMHO.

Most lines appear to use that tactic now - give them something good on the first sailing and keep them hooked ;). The big gals are definitely worth the experience on Royal.

What I wouldn't mind seeing in the future is a change to the program that somehow rewards those who spend onboard.

Though I have no first-hand experience with them and have not done the research, it is my understanding--just from reading the associated forum here on Cruise Critic--that Holland America's Mariner Society does feature a secondary formula for measuring guest loyalty based upon onboard spend...

It is my impression--again, no direct experience--that HAL's loyalty program is not noted for its generosity as compared to Celebrity...

Which cruise are you on Spanner? A difference of almost $2000 to jump from an inside or OV to a basic balcony seems incredibly steep.

Celebrity currently have 7 night suite deals from $1205 per person so I'm intrigued to know the specific details as it seems incredibly high. :)

RC's Explorer of the Seas next August - I suspect the high prices and huge jump between stateroom categories are due to timing (departs during school holidays), departing from Southampton (always pricey in June-Sep) and the 13 night duration. It's fine; we're trying a Promenade view for the first time, and that cruise will tip us over into Platinum on Royal so we can then return to Celebrity as Select. :)

It is my impression--again, no direct experience--that HAL's loyalty program is not noted for its generosity as compared to Celebrity...

Admittedly, it's been several years since we sailed HAL - entirely due to price. By choice, We book interior cabins except on X where we book OV only because we want the perks of prepaid gratuities and primarily the alcohol package. When we add the expense of those two items, X is appreciably cheaper.

When we sailed HAL, our bottom barrel cabin was always upgraded without requesting it. On X, we've received an upgrade only once - after some serious hassle for our TA.

I'll also add that a couple of things offered by X are standard for all passengers on HAL (hot duerves during happy hour, for example). And per drink and wine prices are cheaper on HAL. It's getting more and more similar in pricing to what we can get on X.

Am I complaining? Nope. We get what we pay for.

Edited by jkgourmet

Though I have no first-hand experience with them and have not done the research, it is my understanding--just from reading the associated forum here on Cruise Critic--that Holland America's Mariner Society does feature a secondary formula for measuring guest loyalty based upon onboard spend...

MSC also award points based on onboard spend.

No indicator of loyalty though. It's just accumulating points for spending onboard, in addition to points based on the cruise itself. All points credited have the same value.