are there tour companies set up at the ports?

mmccool719

In our past experiences with cruises, there are often tour companies at the ports. If we decided to "wing it", are there some ports that have more tour companies set up than others? Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria BC (where we plan to just stroll). Thanks.

Hi

['m in the same position as you, we go on the Celebrity Infinity in a couple of weeks and there trips look very, very expensive. Any advice on what's available when you get off would be invaluable.

We don't want to pre book we would rather see what the weather is first.

As commonly discussed here, there will be some vendors at the ports. However, given that tourist resources in Alaska are a very limited item, and the cruise ships tie up huge amounts of those resources, as well as people who book independently before they sail, you have to wonder about the quality of the leftovers that you might find at the dock. But there will be some there.

Ketchikan and Juneau will definitely have kiosks with tour vendors selling last minute excursions. I was in Skagway twice last summer and it seems to me that there was an operation with last minute excursions, but it certainly wasn't as obvious as in Ketchikan and Juneau.

In Ketchikan there are tour operators setup inside one half of the visitors center so you’ll have to step inside to see them. In Juneau they are dockside in booths and you can’t miss or not hear them! Fewer but some in Skagway and Victoria. They have nice walking maps and paths as you exit out the port in Victoria so don’t need a tour there.

At every Port there will be tour operators set up in small kiosks. You name it I've seen it offered, whale watching, flights over the glaciers, bear viewing (you have to be careful with this one) sometimes the bears aren't around, the best time for bears is when the salmon are running, The nice thing about the vendors on the pier is they'll deal with you. One place we always go to is the Arctic Bar in Ketchikan, we've had a lot of fun there after our excursions. The Tongus trading post is the place to buy your Alaska souvenirs, jackets, hats, that kind of stuff.

Yes, you can find dock side tour companies for the ports you will be visiting. However........

Do not do like my two brother-in-laws did one trip. One convinced the other that they could get off the ship, go down town and look around, and then come back to the dock. His theory was, wait until the crowd left the area and the tour companies would offer a better (cheaper) deal.

They did this and when they got back to the dock, everyone had closed up shop and departed leaving them standing there.

Being the all round nice guy that I am, At dinner that night I asked them about the tour that they went on. Just some mumbling. Then I told about my photo safari. clear.png?emoji-smile-1684