Has anyone done “In the Wake of the Vikings” transatlantic crossing?

aungrl

G'day Heidi13/ Andy

I don't mean to be disrepectful to the many other CC members who provide worthwhile / useful comments, information and opinions in this forum, but I just wanted to let you know experienced, informed Members such as yourself, Jim Avery, Capt BJ and others with ocean going experience add real value to this forum which can't be replaced. Thank you for taking the time to provide input and comments, I just wanted to let you know you (and Jim and Capt BJ etc) are appreciated. Cheers from me.

Little Monty - thanks, appreciate the feedback

we were on the sept 4 in the wake of the vikings and we thought it was an awesome cruise. Were decisions made by the captain to skip or relocate the ship in a couple of ports. yes but it was for safety reasons as he announced on the ship. I give him high marks for putting safety first. Viking did their best to make it a great cruise and it was. Interesting ports, good shore excursions and a wonderful buffet which was served on a sea day (this is the first time we experienced this extensive display of culinary talent on their ocean voyages) and it was great. Everyone seemed to have a great time. When you sail the north Atlantic this time of the year one has to expect an occasional problem, but this captain handled it in a great way. Lots of announcements and we were always kept informed as to what was going to happen and why. We lucked out with the weather at most ports seeing the sun at most. I would recommend this cruise and viking ocean to anyone who is up for adventure, a great crew, and a beautiful ship.

We were on the Sept 4 - 18 sailing and concur with Aurgrl's assessment of the weather and clothing layers. We went prepared for cold weather, lots of rain, winds, and heavy seas. We did get the winds and chilly weather but no really heavy seas and no rain when we were on excursions. We had rain only when we were indoors or a day at sea. The weather in Greenland was unbelievable - two bright sunny clear days. According to beavertgal's the crossing that came after ours must have got all the bad stuff we expected.

Barbara and Bob

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the September 22 In the Wake of the Vikings tour from Bergen to Montreal.  Some thoughts...

1. While disappointed that we did not travel to all the destinations we were scheduled to visit, we were very appreciative of the Captain’s concern for our safety.  In our opinion, the #1 responsibility of the ship captain is to provide a safe trip for all the passengers.  Given his access to weather data along with his extensive experience as a mariner, we had no problem with skipping the ports he decided to pass.  

2. Viking provided each passenger with what we consider very generous compensation for the missed ports.  We will apply the compensation towards our next river cruise (to Egypt) in early 2020. 

3.  The staff on the Viking Star was superb.  We have traveled with Viking on 6 ocean cruises and 1 river cruise.  In terms of staff attentiveness, this was the best cruise we have experienced.  

4.  Sailing into Prince Christian Sound in Greenland at sunrise was someth8ng I’ll never forget.  It was spectacular.  In addition, Viking set up tables with coffee, juice and croissants in the Explore Lounge at the front of the ship for everyone to enjoy as we sailed through the Sound.  

5.  Overall, considering the poor weather we encountered, we were very pleased with our trip.  Everything Viking could control was “spot on”.  

6.  Lastly, a “shout out” to our Captain.  Thanks for getting us through the storms with a minimal amount of discomfort!  

• Like 1