Code bravo (fire) on Norwegian Bliss during the inaugural Panama Canal cruise

Thanks for fixing the link!

You'd think by now, after all these years on CruiseCritic, I would know how to properly post a link to a video... but no!

Doing anything online from a cruise ship can be challenging at times!

Incinerator fires are actually fairly common on ships. During the day, the crew bring down the garbage collected around the ship, and the crew then sort the garbage, and paper and cardboard are tossed into a shredder. This shredded cardboard and paper is then stored in a "silo" that can hold 5-6 cubic meters of material, until such time as the incinerator can be run (not in port). The problem is when the crew misses something in their sorting, and something like an AA battery is sent through the shredder, and creates a spark when being shredded (yes, it will shred a battery). This spark lands on the shredded material in the silo, gets buried under other material added to the silo, and lies smoldering until the incinerator starts to work, and the material in the silo is fed into the incinerator. The smolder gets closer and closer to the surface of the garbage, until it finally reaches enough oxygen to burst into flames and the material in the silo catches. The silos are equipped with fire hose sprinkler connections and steam smothering devices, just for these instances.

Fires onboard are not a "new ship" thing, they are a bit more common than most know about, since in many cases the "code bravo" call will only go to crew areas, or will be at night when few pax are out in public spaces, and the announcement doesn't go to pax cabins.

Fires onboard are not a "new ship" thing, they are a bit more common than most know about,

For the record, I do know that. It was a flippant comment based on it happening on an early sailing of those two new ships.

I’ve certainly heard code bravo called a number of times in my cruises. It’s not something I give any thought to when I do hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incinerator fires are actually fairly common on ships. During the day, the crew bring down the garbage collected around the ship, and the crew then sort the garbage, and paper and cardboard are tossed into a shredder. This shredded cardboard and paper is then stored in a "silo" that can hold 5-6 cubic meters of material, until such time as the incinerator can be run (not in port). The problem is when the crew misses something in their sorting, and something like an AA battery is sent through the shredder, and creates a spark when being shredded (yes, it will shred a battery). This spark lands on the shredded material in the silo, gets buried under other material added to the silo, and lies smoldering until the incinerator starts to work, and the material in the silo is fed into the incinerator. The smolder gets closer and closer to the surface of the garbage, until it finally reaches enough oxygen to burst into flames and the material in the silo catches. The silos are equipped with fire hose sprinkler connections and steam smothering devices, just for these instances.

Fires onboard are not a "new ship" thing, they are a bit more common than most know about, since in many cases the "code bravo" call will only go to crew areas, or will be at night when few pax are out in public spaces, and the announcement doesn't go to pax cabins.

You recently crossed 13,000 posts and I can honestly say that in my time on CC all the ones I've read have been incredibly informative, so thank you for that!

• 3 weeks later...

We were at one of the restaurants when the “code bravo” was over the speaker and something like “all crew members report”. Our waiter’s eyes got as big as saucers. It was a bit disconcerting. This announcement explaining what happened was about 30 minutes later. It was also addressed in the “technical talk” done at end of the cruise. Basically stated it was not a drill. Fire was outside incinerator but still in a contained space and was put out immediately but following safety procedures they called the “code bravo”.

I wonder how long it will be before we get posts from people "demanding" that NCL "do the right thing" and give them a full refund and a new cruise for free? LOL You KNOW it is coming...

Yes! This is a great idea. I demand they put me back on the wonderful Norwegian Bliss to make up for my trauma of both the “code bravo” and distress caused by trying to drink a Mango Meltdown without a straw!