Just off the Serenade OTS

I was a bit nervous before as I'd read all the reviews and complaints: Beds, food, service, queues, dogs, what-have-yous.

I had a wonderful cruise. And the ship was sold out.

The food was good - not fine dining, but good. In the WJ, in the MDR, and in the Park Cafe. Had it been better, I'd gorged myself and regrettet it.

The service was faultless. Friendly, efficient, and relaxed at the same time. I even felt a sense of comeradie amongst the crew members. Very pleasant.

There was very few queues - it could be a bit hard to find a table in the WJ at rush hours, but apart from that - nothing. We walked right in to our table in the MDR. We were on MTD with a booked time all days apart from one. Even that day we got a table within a minute.

I never saw a dog on the ship, and the kids were there, but was seldom seen or heard.

No fighting, no drunkards, not many chair hogs, and people waiting for each other and holding the doors open by the lifts.

The beds were comfortable. Very firm mattresses, but FOUR thin top-thingies were already in place when we arrived.

We only saw a few shows, but they were ok. Not world class, but enjoyable.

There were sales people, but they were in no way obnoxious or insisting (maybe apart from the photographers - they were a bit nagging).

In fact I only had one complaint: The music level in Centrum was way, way too loud. Even if I occasionally liked the music, I had to leave due to the noise.

Serenade is one of our favorite ships. We are with you in reference to the Centrum music, though. I've never understood why it has to be so very, very loud. They have extremely talented musicians and vocalists, but wouldn't it sound just as good with normal volume? That being said, I also think the theater shows are extremely loud, too.

We have a cabin booked later in the year on Serenade. It is on deck 8 directly opposite the elevators. Will the noise be heard in the cabins or do the corridors help cut the Noise Levels? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a cabin booked later in the year on Serenade. It is on deck 8 directly opposite the elevators. Will the noise be heard in the cabins or do the corridors help cut the Noise Levels? Thanks

We heard absolutely nothing in the cabin. Not even our neighbors. We were 8-9 cabins away from Centrum (with the very loud music).

You must by opposite the forward lifts. You have cabins above and below you. I wouldn't expect any noise. Most people use the aft lifts anyway.

ETA: I was bothered by noise, but it came from my sleeping partner. Not much to do about that apart from ear plugs :)

We heard absolutely nothing in the cabin. Not even our neighbors. We were 8-9 cabins away from Centrum (with the very loud music).

You must by opposite the forward lifts. You have cabins above and below you. I wouldn't expect any noise. Most people use the aft lifts anyway.

ETA: I was bothered by noise, but it came from my sleeping partner. Not much to do about that apart from ear plugs :)

We are opposite the aft lifts in 8592. There looks to be a bulkhead separating the cabins from the Centrum so should be okay ( I hope).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Serenade if you have a coffee card is it one punch for any drink or 1 punch per shot. It seems that the policy is different on different ships. Thanks

I had the refreshment package and didn't see the coffee card used so unfortunately I don't know

Thanks ditmar2007 for starting this thread and the original post! I had read many of the same posts regarding the Serenade and figured it wasn't as bad as being portrayed. I love the Radiance class ships, and won't sail anything else in the RCCL fleet.

Was this the Norwegian Fjords itinerary? If so, any thoughts on the itinerary? We are on the Fjords itinerary in August and finding info on it can be challenging!

It's beautiful and nature is overwhelming. There are a lot of wrinkles in Norwegian towns (i.e.: Steep hills). We enjoyed them very much. We had a bus tour in Geiranger, but apart from that we just walked around and explored.

Mind, that Norway is CLOSED on Sundays. Some tourist shops and a few others will be open.

It's beautiful and nature is overwhelming. There are a lot of wrinkles in Norwegian towns (i.e.: Steep hills). We enjoyed them very much. We had a bus tour in Geiranger, but apart from that we just walked around and explored.

Mind, that Norway is CLOSED on Sundays. Some tourist shops and a few others will be open.

Thanks for that! We have a sea day on Sunday, which is probably a blessing based upon everything I have read.

Did you find that there was enough to do in each port with just exploring? That is what I think we are planning on doing, except for Geiranger....I think we will take an organized tour there.

We did 11 nights on Serenade in April and loved everybit of it, minus the less than inspired menus/food in MDR. We didn't leave hungry, but we sure didn't leave stuffed. There were a few things that could have helped, like leaving out the hot red peppers on the shrimp scampi, and perhaps a few cups less salt in the beef bourgnanon (and I LOVE salt so that should say something). We loved this ship so much we rebooked her while still on her.

Erika

Thanks for that! We have a sea day on Sunday, which is probably a blessing based upon everything I have read.

Did you find that there was enough to do in each port with just exploring? That is what I think we are planning on doing, except for Geiranger....I think we will take an organized tour there.

For us - yes. We only walked for a couple of hours each morning. Then we returned to the ship and chilled the reste of the day. We are 55 and 59 and don't need more exersize than that.

Also: That shawl doesn't knit itself. I needed down time.

Who was your captain? There is some confusion as to who it is since captains are moving around.

His name was Aris Medina from Venezuela. Presently lives in Germany. Made announcements in German too.......could have worked a bit on his accent :)

Edited by ditmar2007

Serenade is one of our favorite ships. We are with you in reference to the Centrum music, though. I've never understood why it has to be so very, very loud. They have extremely talented musicians and vocalists, but wouldn't it sound just as good with normal volume? That being said, I also think the theater shows are extremely loud, too.

I agree with the volume - it's insanely loud. We mention it on our comment card every time. Part of the problem is that, when they remodelled for the now-defunct aerial show, they put in a lot of panels and closed over the Deck 12 ceiling, so the noise bounces off of everything. At least that's my theory.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are right next to the Centrum, then you will hear the noise - I had 8088 portside and could hear everything in my cabin during the daytime (earplugs helped when I wanted to nap). In the evenings they will close the fire doors until the late night entertainment is finished, and that is helpful until an unknowing guest comes along and props the door open - it can only be closed by security. But you have an extra wall that may help muffle the sound.

I am doing an 11 day in early June which I believe is a slightly different itinerary than the other Fjord cruises so I am not sure what your ports are. I also was on a Fjord tour last year on another cruise line ( my son was working on that ship). My advice is to get out of town and see more of the scenery. You will still have time t explore what are usually small towns. Do some land tours and some boat tours. Be above the Fjords looking down and in the Fjords sailing right up to waterfalls and sampling the water.