River Tubing Questions

Mjasp

For those that have gone tubing in Ocho Rios, PLEASE help answer my questions.

1) How deep is the water in the river? I saw where they stop midstream that people swing on a rope and can jump in the river, so that makes me think the river is DEEP.

2) Do they ask everyone to wear life jackets?

3) Are the "rapids" you go through rough? Can or have you seen tubes overturn?

Thanks

Joanna

Just got back from tubing in Ocho Rios. I would say most of the river is waist deep although there are some deep spots as you mentioned as well as some very shallow spots. The only one to wear a life jacket in our group was the only child (7 years old). The "rapids" are not rough at all, although it was a little faster than what I expected from reading these boards. The posts seemed to say it was a boring, lazy trip, and I wouldn't characterize it as that. One of the tubes did tip but that was because the little boy wanted to go on the tube with his Dad which the guide did not recommend and said that is why the tube tipped.

I would definitely do it if I were you! It was the best part of our day in Jamaica, everyone agreed, even the little boy after he got over his scare of being dunked. It was much better than the Falls which were VERY touristy. I would think just about anyone could do it unless they were very infirm or absolutely cannot swim at all (even tread water). The guide was very nice and concerned about our well being, he was running around, going back and forth and taking care of the little boy.

It seems a little strange when you first get there, you travel down this winding road and it seems like it is in the middle of nowhere, but don't be nervous have fun!!

I think you should definitely do it. The water as mentioned is not that deep at all. You can see the bottom most of the time. The rapids are not bad at all. Its not like you would think of when thinking of rapids. There are a couple spots that get you going again, but mostly it is relaxing. You do need to be aware and should consider wearing water shoes. Sometimes you will need to use your feet to push away from the banks. The guide will watch you and take great care of you and ensure you don't get into any trouble or anything like that.

www.peattaylor.com can arrange for you to get to the river tubing. I believe tubing is $20.00 per person and you can see photos on his site.

You can also use Marva Shaw - $60.00 included bus for our group all day, travel to the tubing and admission, travel to the Falls and admission, and some shopping time. http://www.knowjamaica.com

I would definitely have water shoes or some type of waterproof sandal on while tubing - you have to walk sometimes and the bottom is rocky.

I am thinking of this tour for my family (three kids, 5, 8 and 11). All three of them can swim and have never had an issue with going under water (they love the water parks). We will be in Ocho Rios from 8-3, is this enough time to do the tubing and see the falls. I am thinking of booking off the ship, do you know of any companies that are reputible?

I am thinking of this tour for my family (three kids, 5, 8 and 11). All three of them can swim and have never had an issue with going under water (they love the water parks). We will be in Ocho Rios from 8-3, is this enough time to do the tubing and see the falls. I am thinking of booking off the ship, do you know of any companies that are reputible?

Anyone who is thinking of doing this, have no fear - "andnickali" - your kids will have a blast. We were there three weeks ago. I am 68 and had a hip replacement in September - no problem mon!! My "kids" (30s) who also did this and did the Falls thought this was much better. It was great (I didn't do the Falls! - way too much pressure on the joints to climb like that). We used Orville Taylor who was great - $20 for all day transportation, plus the cost of whatever you wanted to do - $15 for the Falls, $20 for tubing, but you could pick and choose - he'll take you anywhere you want to go - all included in the $20. Then just pick out what you want to do and pay for just that. Stop for lunch - go shopping - pottery factory - whatever - still $20 - but do tip him as well. Mention of the rope swing does indicate that there is a deep spot, but that's probbaly the only place - everywhere else is waist deep or less, but the guides are great and keep you moving if you run aground. Definitely wear something on your feet. Although your contact with the ground is really only getting in and out of the tube, those rocks are hard on the soles - we must be getting really soft! We would highly recommend Orville. Our ship Radiance didn't offer tubing as a tour - I didn't realize any of them did - it seems to be a very "local" backwoods operation, not yet commercialized. Take care of the guides with a tip - we gave them $5 each - maybe a little high, but they didn't seem to have much business that day, and they worked hard. You get a break about 2/3rds the way along and they will sell you photos - amazing to see this computer with digital photos set up out in the middle of the woods - and my cell phone wouldn't work!! It was a beautiful ride - highly recommend it for just about any age - the "rapids" are mild.

Just when someone changes my mind about going tubing, I get these great reviews.

Recently someone told me, if the bus breaks down on a private tour, we may miss the ship. To only do ship excursions.

But I really want to do the tubing AND falls for $55 a head, with a private company.

What to do, What to do.

Mjsp, "if the bus breaks down on a private tour, we may miss the ship", that certainly is or could be true. However, these tour operators are in the tourist trade business so being efficient helps maintain their income. When you plan a tour, make sure you allow several hours to get back to the ship before it sets sail, so you won't have to worry. If you encounter lots of traffic, skip a stop. Your driver is working for you. We like to schedule 4-5 hour tours or less so that we return with 2 to 3 hours to spare and relax.

We often use Belinda operator of A-Zjamaicaplanners. She has several drivers, vans and busses. This way if one breaks down, she can send someone to get the passengers. I would never just book with an unknown vendor at the port unless they were backed by an organization like at Limon, Costa Rica where we had a great tour in a car.

Have fun. We too are looking at something different to do at Mo Bay.

Bon Voyage

You know, I too have been wondering about River Tubing..... My group consists of me, my DH and our two 13 year old girls. I don't want to do Dunn's River Falls and this seems like fun.

I am just concerned about the safety issue. Years ago I almost drowned tubing down the Esopus River. It was quite life altering and I jave NEVER tubed again. But, I don't want to put my fear first in finding fun things for the girls to do on this cruise.

When you go tubing, is it with a round inner tube? Do you wear life jackets? Helmets? Just wondering......

I am still mulling this over......I have time but not much time, our cruise is on February 12th.

Suesan:rolleyes: :)

You know, I too have been wondering about River Tubing..... My group consists of me, my DH and our two 13 year old girls. I don't want to do Dunn's River Falls and this seems like fun.

I am just concerned about the safety issue. Years ago I almost drowned tubing down the Esopus River. It was quite life altering and I jave NEVER tubed again. But, I don't want to put my fear first in finding fun things for the girls to do on this cruise.

When you go tubing, is it with a round inner tube? Do you wear life jackets? Helmets? Just wondering......

I am still mulling this over......I have time but not much time, our cruise is on February 12th.

Suesan:rolleyes: :)

Suesan -

I think I helped you in Grand Cayman also.

The tubes are the round rubber inner tubes you are thinking of. They have a bottom affixed to them though. So you don't fall through. You start out by being assisted into the tube and holding onto a rope/wire. When everyone is set you just let go. The guide(s) will go with you down the river and make sure everyone stays together and doesn't get stuck. You will want to wear water shoes so you can push off from the bank once in a while. I didn't feel any risk of tipping or anything of the sort. I would say it was a great experience and a lot of fun and will do it again when we return with our son. Your kids will have a great time if you choose to do this.

Just when someone changes my mind about going tubing, I get these great reviews.

Recently someone told me, if the bus breaks down on a private tour, we may miss the ship. To only do ship excursions.

This could be true, but as mentioned by Nana, they won't leave you hanging. Yes they could, but then you would come back here and tell your story and that wouldn't be good for business. The river is not far from the pier area so you won't be hours away. Most of the people will be able to get you a van from a friend/competitor to get you guys back to the pier and you would be fine. I do as mentioned and make sure you have plenty of time to return as I too would not want to miss the ship.

We did both DRF and White River tubing along with stopping at Couples Resort and were back aroun 1:00 or so. ( I think the ship was late getting to the port as well in the morning) so it is not an all consuming day of excursions.

For those of you debating between Dunn River falls and River tubing I suggest you contact Peat Taylor and arrange to do both. We did just that a couple of years ago and got both in as well as a scenic tour and an hour of shopping - all for less that the ship tour to the falls would have cost - good luck

I too, was concerned about the safety of the tubing with my kids- but after looking a number of the posts and some of the tour company web sites I think the "river" is more like a big creek. When I thought of river I was picturing the Potomac (we live near DC), and I could not ever imagine touching the water let alone tubing in it for fun!!! I read on one post the tubes have a bottom and you can hold onto a family member's tube if you want (which is what I would do with my smallest).

Anyone who is thinking of doing this, have no fear - "andnickali" - your kids will have a blast. We were there three weeks ago. I am 68 and had a hip replacement in September - no problem mon!! My "kids" (30s) who also did this and did the Falls thought this was much better. It was great (I didn't do the Falls! - way too much pressure on the joints to climb like that). We used Orville Taylor who was great - $20 for all day transportation, plus the cost of whatever you wanted to do - $15 for the Falls, $20 for tubing, but you could pick and choose - he'll take you anywhere you want to go - all included in the $20. Then just pick out what you want to do and pay for just that. Stop for lunch - go shopping - pottery factory - whatever - still $20 - but do tip him as well. Mention of the rope swing does indicate that there is a deep spot, but that's probbaly the only place - everywhere else is waist deep or less, but the guides are great and keep you moving if you run aground. Definitely wear something on your feet. Although your contact with the ground is really only getting in and out of the tube, those rocks are hard on the soles - we must be getting really soft! We would highly recommend Orville. Our ship Radiance didn't offer tubing as a tour - I didn't realize any of them did - it seems to be a very "local" backwoods operation, not yet commercialized. Take care of the guides with a tip - we gave them $5 each - maybe a little high, but they didn't seem to have much business that day, and they worked hard. You get a break about 2/3rds the way along and they will sell you photos - amazing to see this computer with digital photos set up out in the middle of the woods - and my cell phone wouldn't work!! It was a beautiful ride - highly recommend it for just about any age - the "rapids" are mild.

How far do you have to walk after the bus drops you off before you get to the beginning of the river? Do you pick up the tubes where the bus drops you off or at the start of the tubing.

Thanks,

Jean

This is just a note about people being left behind if they don't return to the ship on time. We have seem this happen on more than one cruise. If you are on a cruiseline tour and your tour is late they will wait on you otherwise if you are late you are on your on. We saw a family left on the dock that returned as the ship was pulling away. We were about 10 feet from the dock and we kept right on going it was in St Thomas. Another time a private tour was late returning and 20 people were left in Jamaica. They had to get to the next port on their own to get back on the ship. We do go and do things without the benfit of the cruise tours just be sure you have plenty of time to make it back.

We did the river tubing with 4 kids five and under last year and every one of them loved it and wanted to do it again. We brought the kid's own life jackets; none of the adults used jackets, but we are all good swimmers. The water is about waist deep, or less, the current is just fast enough to be fun and the 'rapids' are pretty mild. The tubes are large and have bottoms. The little kids each rode with an adult. The guides who tubed along with us did a wonderful job of keeping everyone in the current and out of trouble. It was a great experience!

How far do you have to walk after the bus drops you off before you get to the beginning of the river? Do you pick up the tubes where the bus drops you off or at the start of the tubing.

Thanks,

Jean

You step out of the bus and the tubes were all in a pile right there. You grab the tube and go down some stairs to the water. You then hold onto a wire while waiting for everyone to get in and then you are off. The walk down was not far at all.

Archived