How To Get Better Bar Service?

We generally tip extra in bars and roaming servers. I do not expect preferential treatment and I don't expect to jump the line. We are always courteous to servers.

Stratergy: We tend to order drinks from our few select favorite bars. And we go when they are not busy. Even when we are at the pool, if I make a trip to the room or to get some food, I'll swing by the English pub or schooner bar, they are usually quiet in the Afternoons, In the evening, we will swing by the Solarium bar or pool bar, on the way to a show, it is a time saver. We also try to stock up our fridge with beer on the first day, so we can leave the room to go to a show or event with drink already in hand.

dp

When does a tip become a bribe?

And should I expect lesser service than those who are prepared to bribe the bar staff?

If the tip is added onto the bill, isn't the 'contract' implied that anyone ordering a drink should expect the same level of service?

Will the cruise lines see a market for the sale of 'priority ' drink package cards, in a suitably eye catching colour scheme, so that interested passengers can pay their bribes upfront?

We have seen fewer drink staff since the packages became popular. During our last cruise we tried tipping $1 per drink. We did get faster service. We are also polite and considerate of staff. Please and thank you go along way for sure.

Where I see the biggest difference in service with tips, is the roaming servers around the pools and in show theaters. As much as I'm against tipping in bars in order to cut the line, if tipping the roaming servers helps to have them come by more often to see if we need anything... so be it :D

dp

Where I see the biggest difference in service with tips, is the roaming servers around the pools and in show theaters. As much as I'm against tipping in bars in order to cut the line, if tipping the roaming servers helps to have them come by more often to see if we need anything... so be it :D

dp

Where did anyone say anything about tipping to cut lines?

Where did anyone say anything about tipping to cut lines?

At bars we know we will frequent we will tip $5-10ish every couple/three days in cash and plus tip $1-2 each drink on the ticket. For us this usually gets us priority service.

Nothing beats cold hard cash!! Not only quicker service' date=' but they'll know you by name[img']https://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/clear.png?emoji-wink-1685[/img]

Money talks' date=' unfortunately. If you tip the bartenders in cash, they will remember you and come to you first if they see you in a crowd of passengers waiting to be served. [/quote']

Also mentioned on similar threads in the past.

dp

But my top tip for getting good service anywhere?

Don't expect better treatment than anyone else. Be a nice person. Be polite. Say please and thank you. Don't jump the queue. Smile when you ask for things.

Unfortunately people seem so entitled these days basic manners go out of the window. It's not the staff I'd worry about it's other passengers. Be nice to the staff and they'll remember you.

Hi TheGinBoy :)

You hit the nail directly on the head. Extremely well said!

Cheers! 🍹🍸🍷🍾

:)

Also mentioned on similar threads in the past.

dp

How many times have you been at a bar where a bunch of people are muscling their way in to get ahead of you even though they showed up after you? I’m a small, non-aggressive person so I typically lose that battle

We all claim to use “honey.” Some of us include tips with being congenial. Are they mutually exclusive? I don’t think so. I don’t knowingly cut in front of anyone who has been there before me. And there are times when I tell the server/bartender someone was there before me. If it takes a few extra bucks to not have to get into a wrestling match at the pool bar it’s worth it to me.

OP asked for tipping advice. There are a lot of different opinions. No need to flame someone that has a different one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't tip bar staff generally (I do occasionally but only ever in appreciation). The service I receive is fine.

The way I receive great service is this :

Avoid bars with money waving Americans seeking preferential treatment.

Be polite to all staff and treat them with respect. I am never rude, even if the server is at fault.

Be patient.

I have no expectations for free drinks, extra shots or special favours.

If I was served before someone who was waiting before me, I would ask for the other person to be served first.

I don't get drinks in awkward places like the theatre.

I make sure servers are aware that I am not American. (last remark slightly tongue in cheek).

The irony is probably lost on this one, that one of European's biggest gripes about us Americans are that we don't bother to learn let alone attempt to follow customs in foreign country's. Right up until they come over here where our tipping custom is well known world wide, then not only do they know about it but down right refuse to follow it and on top of that go on rants about how we should change our culture.

The irony is probably lost on this one, that one of European's biggest gripes about us Americans are that we don't bother to learn let alone attempt to follow customs in foreign country's. Right up until they come over here where our tipping custom is well known world wide, then not only do they know about it but down right refuse to follow it and on top of that go on rants about how we should change our culture.

I thought this thread was about tipping on a cruise sailing in international waters. I also haven't seen anything on this thread or others which suggest that the conversation is about cruises sailing from US ports. So this is not about what people in US do but what is etiquette on cruise ships. For me some Americans cross the line when they tell others what to do.

Richard E. Grant did a series on classy hotels around the world. He stayed at one in Italy and asked the waiter and who were the worst tippers. The waiter said Italians. He then asked who were the best tippers. The waiter said Americans with a big smile.

It is the export of a misguided notion that money buys favours that offends me. In India, there is a tradition of obligatory tipping which goes beyond the service industry. There it is called a bribe.

How many times have you been at a bar where a bunch of people are muscling their way in to get ahead of you even though they showed up after you? I’m a small, non-aggressive person so I typically lose that battle

We all claim to use “honey.” Some of us include tips with being congenial. Are they mutually exclusive? I don’t think so. I don’t knowingly cut in front of anyone who has been there before me. And there are times when I tell the server/bartender someone was there before me. If it takes a few extra bucks to not have to get into a wrestling match at the pool bar it’s worth it to me.

OP asked for tipping advice. There are a lot of different opinions. No need to flame someone that has a different one.

Cindivan, I do apologize if my comment felt like flaming. It was not my intent. In fact I purposefully removed the screen names of the original posters in the quotes as to not single out anyone

I was merely trying to point out to Kimba2 that there were in fact previous posts that indicated that there was some form of tipping that was intended to get "Priority" service when Kimba2 was asking where I had read such a thing.

Please understand that English is not my first language so my writing skills might not reflect exactly what I mean. Actually my writing skills in my fist language aren't that great either.

Again, I do apologize if I offended you.

dp

Edited by dpostman

I thought this thread was about tipping on a cruise sailing in international waters. I also haven't seen anything on this thread or others which suggest that the conversation is about cruises sailing from US ports. So this is not about what people in US do but what is etiquette on cruise ships. For me some Americans cross the line when they tell others what to do.

Richard E. Grant did a series on classy hotels around the world. He stayed at one in Italy and asked the waiter and who were the worst tippers. The waiter said Italians. He then asked who were the best tippers. The waiter said Americans with a big smile.

It is the export of a misguided notion that money buys favours that offends me. In India, there is a tradition of obligatory tipping which goes beyond the service industry. There it is called a bribe.

I don’t tip to buy favor. When I tip stateside I tip after our meal is done and probably won’t see that person again. And if I do see them, they probably won’t remember me unless I do something extraordinary which I have done maybe twice in my life where there was unusual circumstances. Same with tipping at specialty restaurants on ships. In both these case i tip because I think that is part of their pay structure (whether you agree this is fair or not, it is reality) and to not up is not giving them what they have earned.

When I tip at a bar on a ship I plan on frequenting, I still intend to wait my turn, but I do hope that I will be recognized over some overly aggressive drink buyer that feels his needs are greater than those waiting in line before him and uses his/his loud voice and aggressive positioning to cut in lines, fully aware of what they are doing. And many times the bartender is too busy to pay attention who came when so the bullies win out more often than not. So yes I tip to gain equal favor along with those waiting in lines the same length as me. Bartenders don’t want to be bullied, but sometimes they are a loss to do and whom to serve. I just try to give them motivation to remember I’m a nice person, talking to them about their day, gaining their trust by letting them know who was here first, and yes, tipping. Because it is a part of their pay structure and it is the right thing to do.

We have heard servers in many countries prefer to serve Americans because we are better tippers in general. One could argue we need to stop or slow it down, but i bet waiters in those countries would hope we don’t.

Sent from my iPad using Forums